Rachel McLellan, fiancée of Australian cricketer Usman Khawaja converts to Islam

Temujin Khaghan

On 3/31/2018 at 7:01 PM, Gollum said:

'I told her I would prefer her to convert but she has to do it on her own '

There you go, usual emotional blackmailing employed by the more polished Muslims. Best of luck wearing burkini and abaya the rest of your life girl, may be Amla's wife can give you good company the rest of this tour, that is if Usman bhai allows you to step outside home........

amla1.jpg.25b5b4cd99aeb5065926218de364830f.jpgamla2.jpg.a49c320e2f3cfa4deaebbe5474859cb7.jpgamla3.jpg.598197464d5d409b495894e1a5b9c9c6.jpg

lol.. What a silly tradition. Never know who could be hiding behind that cloths. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:31 AM, Gollum said:

'I told her I would prefer her to convert but she has to do it on her own '

There you go, usual emotional blackmailing employed by the more polished Muslims. Best of luck wearing burkini and abaya the rest of your life girl, may be Amla's wife can give you good company the rest of this tour, that is if Usman bhai allows you to step outside home........

amla1.jpg.25b5b4cd99aeb5065926218de364830f.jpgamla2.jpg.a49c320e2f3cfa4deaebbe5474859cb7.jpgamla3.jpg.598197464d5d409b495894e1a5b9c9c6.jpg

Its so weird talking to a person who dress up like this...looks scary than modest tbh...

29 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I agree. Talking to some one in a striped pink tie can be an unnerving experience.

Question: How do you feel about general islamophobic comments on the forum? Although most are directed at the Pakistanis or extremists but considering how religion is so deeply grained in Muslims (even amongst cultural ones), do you sometime feel angry at the Hindu posters(majorly) mocking some of the tenets or your religion.

I know it's bit personal and if you don't want to answer it's totally fine.

22 hours ago, dandaroy said:

She is only 22 and easily brainwashed. If she is allowed to live a standard Aussie life free of rules, customs, dress codes, etc. then the marriage will survive. Otherwise, give it a few years and once the sparkle of the newfound relationship and marriage wears off, she will be gone gone gone! :giggle:

She was wearing a pretty revealing dress in the AB medal ceremony, I’m sure the only reason she converted was so Khawaja’s parents would be somewhat happy about the marriage (due to cultural and not religious reasons, don’t confuse the two as a Muslim can’t marry anyone of the book)

Edited by Ellipsism

19 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Question: How do you feel about general islamophobic comments on the forum? Although most are directed at the Pakistanis or extremists but considering how religion is so deeply grained in Muslims (even amongst cultural ones), do you sometime feel angry at the Hindu posters(majorly) mocking some of the tenets or your religion.

I know it's bit personal and if you don't want to answer it's totally fine.

Obviously it doesn't make for pleasant reading. And let us not delude ourselves, a lot of the vitriol is targeted at Muslims in general and not just against the extremists. The main reason why other people view Muslims like they do, lies with how Muslims have been behaving. Having said that, some people do not need an excuse to spew hate. 

To answer your question, no, it doesn't make me angry. Some of the posts are outright amusing. Also I really try not to think of posters as Hindu or Muslim. There are good trolls and bad trolls on ICF. That's about it.

Edited by Mariyam

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Obviously it doesn't make for pleasant reading. And let us not delude ourselves, a lot of the vitriol is targeted at Muslims in general and not just against the extremists. The main reason why other people view Muslims like they do, lies with how Muslims have been behaving. Having said that, some people do not need an excuse to spew hate. 

To answer your question, no, it doesn't make me angry. Some of the posts are outright amusing. Also I really try not to think of posters as Hindu or Muslim. There are good trolls and bad trolls on ICF. That's about it.

You do have a big heart Maryam ji. Quite a rarity these days. And I agree it's usually against Muslims in general. I myself in the past have been guilty of it. But since you are an Indian I am sure you know in real life both sets of people get along quite well no matter how much they pretend on the internet. Even the ganwar ones too who are otherwise at the forefront of religious mudslinging.

Let's just hope it remains that way only for the years to come.

On 07/04/2018 at 11:49 PM, Ellipsism said:

She was wearing a pretty revealing dress in the AB medal ceremony, I’m sure the only reason she converted was so Khawaja’s parents would be somewhat happy about the marriage (due to cultural and not religious reasons, don’t confuse the two as a Muslim can’t marry anyone of the book)

Muslim men are allowed to marry the Christian and Jew women, while Muslim woman is not allowed to marry christian/jew man 

Wasim Akram married a Christian woman without converting her. 

And I know one Hindu and one Sikh in my city who also married the Christian women and both of them converted to Hinduism and Sikhism. It happened while both Hndu man and Sikh man were practising their religion, and there is a natural wish in followers of all religions (irrespective of being Muslim, Hindu or Sikh...) that their wives convert to their religion for harmony in the home. 

There may be less or more demand for conversion,  but all religious people do wish it. 

Only people, who don't demand for any conversion, they are only the "Seculars" where basic teaching is "tolerance" for other's religion/views. 

1 hour ago, Alam_dar said:

Muslim men are allowed to marry the Christian and Jew women, while Muslim woman is not allowed to marry christian/jew man 

Wasim Akram married a Christian woman without converting her. 

And I know one Hindu and one Sikh in my city who also married the Christian women and both of them converted to Hinduism and Sikhism. It happened while both Hndu man and Sikh man were practising their religion, and there is a natural wish in followers of all religions (irrespective of being Muslim, Hindu or Sikh...) that their wives convert to their religion for harmony in the home. 

There may be less or more demand for conversion,  but all religious people do wish it. 

Only people, who don't demand for any conversion, they are only the "Seculars" where basic teaching is "tolerance" for other's religion/views. 

No he converted her to Islam, there are many articles on the web vouching for the fact eg https://www.dawn.com/news/1037359

Hindus generally don't go about converting their spouses, Christians do it more often, in case of Muslims it is almost always true. Check any GOI stats, in mixed religion marriages Muslims are 10x more likely to convert their partner as compared to Hindus, this in a Hindu majority country. In any Muslim majority country it is impossible for non Muslims to marry Muslims without converting, I was recently in Malaysia and heard about this first hand from locals, then checked it on web and found it to be true. Malaysia is a highly Talibanized country and if it is the torch bearer of progressive Islamic societies I shudder to think about the state of affairs in other Muslim majority countries. 

Edited by Gollum

54 minutes ago, Gollum said:

No he converted her to Islam, there are many articles on the web vouching for the fact eg https://www.dawn.com/news/1037359

Hindus generally don't go about converting their spouses, Christians do it more often, in case of Muslims it is almost always true. Check any GOI stats, in mixed religion marriages Muslims are 10x more likely to convert their partner as compared to Hindus, this in a Hindu majority country. In any Muslim majority country it is impossible for non Muslims to marry Muslims without converting, I was recently in Malaysia and heard about this first hand from locals, then checked it on web and found it to be true. Malaysia is a highly Talibanized country and if it is the torch bearer of progressive Islamic societies I shudder to think about the state of affairs in other Muslim majority countries. 

Muslims should not be any "standard" and no comparison should be made with them. Even Turkey and Malaysia are doomed. Turkey is following the Ikhwan-ul-Muslimeen (similar to Deobandies) since the appearance of Erdogan, while Malaysia/Indonesia have become Wahabi states. 

India has simply more secular education. Even some (minority) religious Hindu families too follow the secular views. 

Nevertheless, common impression is this that religious Hindu boys normally don't marry the foreigner girls. They marry the Hindu girls and that too of their own caste. And if few of them do marry outside, then they do wish a conversion. 

Especially since the rise of aggressive Hindu movements recently, there is a general wish among these religious Hindus to convert others into Hinduism, even at cost of "imposing" the Hinduism upon the others. The magnitude of these Hindu movements may be very little as compared to the Muslim movements, nevertheless both of them are following the same path unfortunately, while the Secular teachings and trends are being destroyed by such movements. 

@Alam_dar The tendency of Hindus to desire conversion of non Hindus is still less in magnitude as you rightly put. But again your observations hold only for cow belt states (North India Hindi belt), that too a small minority. In Bengal, North East and many Southern states like Kerala and Tamil Nadu Hindus don't seek to convert non Hindus (in fact it's the opposite), I have seen many Hindu Christian couples in Kerala, Goa and Tamil Nadu and they follow both religions...especially in southern tip of Tamil Nadu like Tuticorin, Kanyakumari etc you will find mostly Hindu Christian couples of the same caste with children having a Mother Mary photo beside a Hindu God photo. Which brings us to the more important point of caste in India. IMO caste is the biggest problem and it is unfortunate that even after 70 years of Independence people still hold on to their castes so rigidly, I believe that caste system is the biggest flaw in my religion and unfortunately even other religions in this region have followed this abhorrent practice. After all their followers too were once Hindus, they have unfortunately imbibed the worst quality of Hinduism and this has become a South Asian problem cutting across religions. Again since you said Muslims shouldn't be the standard I am not bringing them in the picture because that will open a pandora's box.

There is a community called 'Nadar' in Tamil Nadu, some pachai Tamilian on this forum can shed more light on that. I read in a magazine recently about how they transitioned from an impoverished class(both socially and economically) to become one of the most prosperous and well respected business community. They are a very closed group and religion isn't an issue, only caste matters for them. In the same Nadar family you will find a Hindu father, Christian mother, Hindu uncle, Christian son in law and Christian daughter in law...they have risen above religion and focused all their energies upon uplifting their community. They have been successful businessmen precisely for this reason, if some Nadar opens a business in a city he brings his community members from his native village and they all help each other. Here the barriers of religion have been broken but caste is the issue, these guys don't intermingle with other caste members.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

There is a community called 'Nadar' in Tamil Nadu, some pachai Tamilian on this forum can shed more light on that. I read in a magazine recently about how they transitioned from an impoverished class(both socially and economically) to become one of the most prosperous and well respected business community. They are a very closed group and religion isn't an issue, only caste matters for them. In the same Nadar family you will find a Hindu father, Christian mother, Hindu uncle, Christian son in law and Christian daughter in law...they have risen above religion and focused all their energies upon uplifting their community. They have been successful businessmen precisely for this reason, if some Nadar opens a business in a city he brings his community members from his native village and they all help each other. Here the barriers of religion have been broken but caste is the issue, these guys don't intermingle with other caste members.

I am sure Caste system will not last long and Nadar's younger generations will indeed successfully rebel against it sooner or later. 

I feel that religious system is much more stronger and difficult to break as compared to the caste system.

I also got very good experiences with the South Indians, but still my closest friends were the North Indians, and those were too from high castes and strong supporters of BJP and deadly against Pakistan and Muslims (during my University time). And I was a Pakistani, and a Muslim at that time, still culture and language brought us closer to each other. 

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

there are christian nadars and hindu nadars.. christian nadars will marry only with other christian nadars..

i think inter-religious nadar wedding is rare .. someone from south TN an shed some light

i visited andaman &  nicobar islands long back and the tour guide told us that religion is a non-entity for them .. hindus , muslims and christians inter marry and nobody cares 

1 hour ago, Alam_dar said:

I feel that religious system is much more stronger and difficult to break as compared to the caste system.

caste plays important role in south india than north india..

like in north india any brahmin can marry other brahmin and any bania can marry other banias ..

but in south india they marry only from their own caste .. like iyer prefer iyer 

I feel it's the other way around. People wear their caste on their sleeves but not so much with religion especially hindus.

Personally I had seen fellow Reddys doing chest thumping for being a Reddy but never a fellow Hindu being that passionate.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, velu said:

caste plays important role in south india than north india..

like in north india any brahmin can marry other brahmin and any bania can marry other banias ..

but in south india they marry only from their own caste .. like iyer prefer iyer 

You will be surprised, there is a lot of caste feeling in North as well....while UP and Bihar politics is caste based and that is pretty much the chunk of India’s population....Mulayam,Lalu and Mayawati all have caste based vote banks  similar to South Indian states.

On a lighter note, read Ravindra Jadejas every other tweet or Instagram it ends with something like Rajput boy or proud to be Rajput or some crap like that.

I used to also think Gujjus didn’t have a caste feeling and now we have the whole Hardik Patel crap.

Pretty much caste based chest thumping exists everywhere especially smaller towns.

Bigger cities with multi ethnic backgrounds like Mumbai or Bangalore might be an exception.

5 hours ago, maniac said:

You will be surprised, there is a lot of caste feeling in North as well....while UP and Bihar politics is caste based and that is pretty much the chunk of India’s population....Mulayam,Lalu and Mayawati all have caste based vote banks  similar to South Indian states.

On a lighter note, read Ravindra Jadejas every other tweet or Instagram it ends with something like Rajput boy or proud to be Rajput or some crap like that.

I used to also think Gujjus didn’t have a caste feeling and now we have the whole Hardik Patel crap.

Pretty much caste based chest thumping exists everywhere especially smaller towns.

Bigger cities with multi ethnic backgrounds like Mumbai or Bangalore might be an exception.

They are more casteist than south Indians in my experience. I am told that a lot of people from lower caste keep their last name as Kumar, just to hide their caste