Your most painful cricket related memory against other teams?

india was loosing badly to england in england and DHoni had varun aroon in reserves and he was playing trundlers in the 11 and crying that our bowlers are slow and openly accepting that our pace bowling standards are RUBBISH and more so playing two Spinners in each and every match , where as both jaddu and ashwin were getting hit for Sixes and fours.

i saw our spinners were bowling like slow bowlers..it was a PITY...dhoni tried to bat well and managed to save his captaincy as he scored some runs and if i was the Chairman of selectors , i would have definitely selected another captain after that english series.

check out dhoni's captaincy abroad ..he has never supported Pace bowlers well, Kohli supports SPIN bowlers and Pace bowlers and that's why india is winning abroad for a CHANGE, we have first set of 5 Pacers and even a NEXT Set of 5 Pacers who are very good and if any of first 5 pacers is unfit like Shammi,equally capable young pacer like Saini is selected and we are confident that he will deliver.

Dhoni did not have 3 good Pacers where as Kohli has 10 Pacers to Select and both were leading the same team.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:40 PM, Vilander said:

4-0, 4-0 and 3-0 right ? 11-0 in overseas tests ---2011 was a blood bath - SL is going through that right now..

7-0 loss to Australia did not pain me at all. The build up to the series and the way we lost to England was very painful, that too right after winning the world cup. In fact the 2011 world cup win glory quickly faded away after that hammering and worst was Sachin in a mental block for his 100th 100. The sarcastic comments by British media especially Nasser Hussain were hard to read. I had my revenge when England lost 3-0 to Pakistan in UAE!

Edited by MechEng
12 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

As good as the Aussies were in 2003, they actually had quite a few hiccups in the tournament - Pakistan had them in some trouble before Symonds played an ATG knock, England had them 7 or 8 down before Bevan and Bichel rescued them, frickin' Kenya had them 5 down for 120-odd, Bond wrecked them with a 6-fer before another rescue from Bichel/Bevan, SL cleaned up their top order in the SF before another ATG Symonds knock but we on the other hand were absolutely appalling against them in both games. I remember being actually hopeful before the final as I thought we had already had our one bad game out of the way against them (in those days if we won all games before the final it meant a sure shot defeat in the final itself :cantstop:) and had improved as the tournament went on but all hopes were dashed within the first 2-3 overs of the AUS innings.

Mental fortitude was always their forte, no better example than 1987 WC or even 2011 WC when they were our biggest obstacle in the KO campaign. 

They massacred us both times in 2003 WC but those days we had a genuine mental block against Aus. We were a proper headache for them in test cricket but also the easiest match up in white ball cricket. Since the turn of the millennium until may be the CB series in 2008 they had such a dominating H2H against us. From memory I could only recollect the Nairobi Mini WC match, 2 ODIs in 2001 home series, 1 in 2003 TVS tri-series, 1 in 2004 tri series featuring Zim as victories over them, so did a check and statsguru confirmed my intuition HERE....5-19 paints a gloomy picture. Even after they declined the remnants of that great team pwned us at home in 2007 and 2009 in 7 match ODI series. Maybe they raised their game against us and/or we were timid against them. SRT was no longer the force he was in the 90s but still our best against Aus, Dravid/Dada/Viru were flops against them in ODI, Yuvi was inconsistent, even MSD was underwhelming, VVS though surprisingly excellent :phehe:. Unlike in tests where our batsmen took the fight to them, in ODIs barring Sachin and VVS we were very mediocre. And our bowlers esp spinners were easier to counter on the ODI pitches with limited quota and Kookaburra.

I have made peace with the fact that we lost to a much better team that day but still rue our decision at the toss. We may still have lost but match would have held more interest for the supporters. We were a very poor chasing team before Chappell/Dravid jodi and UV/Dhoni peak. IIRC when we beat Aus in Mumbai in that 2007 7 match series final ODI (Murali Kartik MOM) that was the 1st time in over 9 years that we had successfully chased a total against Aus...IIRC we were on a big (15 I think) match losing streak against Aus while chasing coming to that Mumbai match. I don't understand what the team management was thinking that day, there was a narrow window to beat Aus and not batting 1st meant that window was firmly closed. Yes we were rolled out in the group match but we were in a rut coming to that match (NZ massacre earlier that year and * show against the Dutch in the opening match). We turned corner after that slaughter and were a different team coming to the F. Most of our batters now had runs and confidence behind them, insane to let that Centurion match cloud our judgement. In same Centurion a different Indian team whacked Pakistan, clearly the mood was now different. I am 100% sure we would have put on minimum 270 on the board had Dada opted to bat in the F, at least a 15% chance....chasing 360 meant 0.1% chance :((

Edited by Gollum
26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Mental fortitude was always their forte, no better example than 1987 WC or even 2011 WC when they were our biggest obstacle in the KO campaign. 

They massacred us both times in 2003 WC but those days we had a genuine mental block against Aus. We were a proper headache for them in test cricket but also the easiest match up in white ball cricket. Since the turn of the millennium until may be the CB series in 2008 they had such a dominating H2H against us. From memory I could only recollect the Nairobi Mini WC match, 2 ODIs in 2001 home series, 1 in 2003 TVS tri-series, 1 in 2004 tri series featuring Zim as victories over them, so did a check and statsguru confirmed my intuition HERE....5-19 paints a gloomy picture. Even after they declined the remnants of that great team pwned us at home in 2007 and 2009 in 7 match ODI series. Maybe they raised their game against us and/or we were timid against them. SRT was no longer the force he was in the 90s but still our best against Aus, Dravid/Dada/Viru were flops against them in ODI, Yuvi was inconsistent, even MSD was underwhelming, VVS though surprisingly excellent :phehe:. Unlike in tests where our batsmen took the fight to them, in ODIs barring Sachin and VVS we were very mediocre. And our bowlers esp spinners were easier to counter on the ODI pitches with limited quota and Kookaburra.

I have made peace with the fact that we lost to a much better team that day but still rue our decision at the toss. We may still have lost but match would have held more interest for the supporters. We were a very poor chasing team before Chappell/Dravid jodi and UV/Dhoni peak. IIRC when we beat Aus in Mumbai in that 2007 7 match series final ODI (Murali Kartik MOM) that was the 1st time in over 9 years that we had successfully chased a total against Aus...IIRC we were on a 20 (something) match losing streak against Aus while chasing coming to that Mumbai match. I don't understand what the team management was thinking that day, there was a narrow window to beat Aus and not batting 1st meant that window was firmly closed. Yes we were rolled out in the group match but we were in a rut coming to that match (NZ massacre earlier that year and * show against the Dutch in the opening match). We turned corner after that slaughter and were a different team coming to the F. Most of our batters now had runs and confidence behind them, insane to let that Centurion match cloud our judgement. In same Centurion a different Indian team whacked Pakistan, clearly the mood was now different. I am 100% sure we would have put on minimum 270 on the board had Dada opted to bat in the F, at least a 15% chance....chasing 360 meant 0.1% chance :((

I guess after chasing down 273 in 45 overs against an ATG Pakistan ODI attack dada thought of chasing, also there was moisture in the pitch so he thought they could restrict Australia to a score of 280 max. We were also all-out for 125 against Australia in the previous group game where we batted first, so that should be considered too.

I have not yet made peace with that Ponting innings, first 50 runs came in 74 balls and the remaining 90 came in 47 balls, how?

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

They massacred us both times in 2003 WC but those days we had a genuine mental block against Aus. We were a proper headache for them in test cricket but also the easiest match up in white ball cricket. Since the turn of the millennium until may be the CB series in 2008 they had such a dominating H2H against us. From memory I could only recollect the Nairobi Mini WC match, 2 ODIs in 2001 home series, 1 in 2003 TVS tri-series, 1 in 2004 tri series featuring Zim etc as victories over them, so did a check and statsguru confirmed my intuition HERE....5-19 paints a gloomy picture. Even after they declined the remnants of that great team pwned us at home in 2007 and 2009 in 7 match ODI series. Maybe they raised their game against us and/or we were timid against them. SRT was no longer the force he was in the 90s but still our best against Aus, Dravid/Dada/Viru were flops against them in ODI, Yuvi was inconsistent, even MSD was underwhelming, VVS though surprisingly excellent :phehe:. Unlike in tests where our batsmen took the fight to them, in ODIs barring Sachin and VVS we were very mediocre. And our bowlers esp spinners were easier to counter on the ODI pitches with limited quota and Kookaburra.

I have made peace with the fact that we lost to a much better team that day but still rue our decision at the toss. We may have still lost but match would have held more interest. We were a very poor chasing team before Chappell/Dravid jodi and UV/Dhoni peak. IIRC when we beat Aus in Mumbai in that 2007 7 match series final ODI (Murali Kartik MOM) that was the 1st time in over 9 years that we had successfully chased a total against Aus...IIRC we were on a 20 (something) match losing streak against Aus while chasing coming to that Mumbai match. I don't understand what the team management was thinking that day, there was a narrow window to beat Aus and not batting 1st meant that window was firmly closed. Yes we were rolled out in the group match but we were in a rut coming to that match (NZ massacre earlier that year and * show against the Dutch in the opening match). We turned corner after that slaughter and were a different team coming to the F. Most of our batters now had runs and confidence behind them, insane to let that Centurion match cloud our judgement. In same Centurion a different Indian team whacked Pakistan, clearly the mood was now different. I am 100% sure we would have put on minimum 270 on the board had Dada opted to bat in the F, at least a 15% chance....chasing 360 meant 0.1% chance :((

That W/L ratio makes for grim reading. Maybe my memory is playing some tricks here, but I think the captains went out for the toss in somewhat overcast conditions which along with the form of our pacers may have played some role in Ganguly's decision. Of course by the time the Aussies came out to bat it was bright sunshine all around! 

Just now, MechEng said:

I guess after chasing down 273 in 45 overs against an ATG Pakistan ODI attack dada thought of chasing, also there was moisture in the pitch so he thought they could restrict Australia to a score of 280 max. We were also all-out for 125 against Australia in the previous group game where we batted first, so that should be considered too.

I have not yet made peace with that Ponting innings, first 50 runs came in 74 balls and the remaining 90 came in 47 balls, how?

As I said in my post we had an extremely poor chasing record against ATG Aussies in that period. Pak bowling was ATG on paper but quite an aged attack, here Aussies were at their peak. Also if Pak could muster 273 against us toh management ko andaz lagana chahiye tha ki Aus walleh toh usse zyaada hi banate nah. That moisture thing is an excuse by Dada to hide his poor decision making, it was a sunny afternoon and moisture would anyway have dried up soon. We were all out for 125 in the group game but in the opener we barely stumbled to 200 against Netherlands....that was a different team in the 1st 2 matches. Coming to the WC we were eviscerated 2-5 in NZ but in the super sixes stage we handily demolished NZ. I think our seniors should have emptied the memories of the group match into the dustbin... it was a whole new match come final day. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

That W/L ratio makes for grim reading. Maybe my memory is playing some tricks here, but I think the captains went out for the toss in somewhat overcast conditions which along with the form of our pacers may have played some role in Ganguly's decision. Of course by the time the Aussies came out to bat it was bright sunshine all around! 

Don't remember the exact details but from this clip looks sunny even during toss time. That was a dumb* move by Dada (maybe other seniors too were involved...) but Kohli took it to another level in the 2017 CT F. Dada should have sent the brat a bouquet of roses for surpassing his own blunder. 

Edited by Gollum
9 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I think Ganguly sort of resigned himself to chasing something around 325 when they were 240/2 in 40 overs and the team pretty much went through the motions already thinking about the target they were gonna chase. By the time they finished 50 overs they must have been shell-shocked.

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Don't remember the exact details but from this clip looks sunny even during toss time. That was a dumb* move by Dada (maybe other seniors too were involved...) but Kohli took it to another level in the 2017 CT F. Dada should have sent the brat a bouquet of roses for surpassing his own blunder. 

Jeez Ponting can barely conceal his delight at being asked to bat.