Bring Shubman Gill instead of Pujara in Tests

1 minute ago, nsareen said:

Wonder if the same logic had been applied to Tendulkar & some others, Indian cricket would have been different. Blood in youngsters who are cut above the rest is what I can say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tendulkar did play one season in FC before he got selected.There is a reason why he also took a decade to score a double hundred and never scored 500 runs in series.

Talent is great but art of scoring big hundreds comes only with practice.Tendulkar never learnt it.He scored triple hundred as a school boy but never did that in FC cricket.

First, we should focus on playing Pant, who is in the squad of the current tour, as a WK-batsman in the 11 .... If we can't field a talented Pant vs Karthik, who only averages 27-28 in tests, all these threads are a waste of time 

Interesing thought though the focus of this thread was on the key batting position in which Pujara bats for us.

Prithvi has played more domestic cricket than gill and proven himself.
He just had a fantastic outing with A team . He is far more ready than Gill.

Gill should play a few seasons of domestic before tests. 
He may find his way in lois  post WC.

As an opener he can be tried too, I can see Vijay handing over the spot to Shaw & retiring!!

Every other day we come up with this thought of 'X player should get into team,Y player should be drafted ASAP into team"

But,be realistic-Our Captain isn't giving even deserving players a place in playing 11 despite they are in original squad and are travelling with team. Shaw,Gill getting into Indian team isn't even remotely possible as of now.Gone are those days when U19 players were getting entry into the senior team few months after U19 WC.

As of now We can only hope that Pant and KLR get a game in this test series.

Every other day we come up with this thought of 'X player should get into team,Y player should be drafted ASAP into team"

But,be realistic-Our Captain isn't giving even deserving players a place in playing 11 despite they are in original squad and are travelling with team. Shaw,Gill getting into Indian team isn't even remotely possible as of now.Gone are those days when U19 players were getting entry into the senior team few months after U19 WC.

As of now We can only hope that Pant and KLR get a game in this test series.

Change may come if there are mass failures in an away series, which can happen with this Indian team & a knee jerk reaction can trigger some changes.

42 minutes ago, CG said:

Raina Has been a good odi player for india,He Was in T20 Squad..

Raina was not a part of our ODI squad for multiple years because his performances had dropped significantly in ODIs.  T20s and ODIs are not the same.

42 minutes ago, CG said:

I am all for Gill Being Inducted in to a tours but not in test squad currently.

Just asking for a 4-day A-team berth for Gill ... not a test berth.

1 hour ago, nsareen said:

Agreed & this brings out a question, Are the selectors really efficieny, or they are riding on the Indian Teams performance for this long?

In the recent memory no young player has been bought in the test matches, we have only seen Washington Sundar entering the T20 team directly.

I do not think he should be considered for test team NOW. 

But selectors should have a definite plan and timeline for exceptional players like Gill .

They are considering him for  ODI A teams , thats good but it seems they are trying to tag him as a ODI player which i think is 

wrong.

A good selector should see that palyer like Gill is playing as many 4 day games as possible before the start of our domestic season  .

This is where they should have included him 1 recent  UK  tour A team  for tests.

Then play him in all domestic teams  facing international teams as well as Ranji , Duleep etc. 

Vision should be,  he should in test team in less than a year's  time .

I think omission from UK tour 4 day games was a big mistake by selectors. 

Hope Dravid  intervenes and drives home sense to selectors.   

1 minute ago, prudent_kreeda said:

I do not think he should be considered for test team NOW. 

But selectors should have a definite plan and timeline for exceptional players like Gill .

They are considering him for  ODI A teams , thats good but it seems they are trying to tag him as a ODI player which i think is 

wrong.

A good selector should see that palyer like Gill is playing as many 4 day games as possible before the start of our domestic season  .

This is where they should have included him 1 recent  UK  tour A team  for tests.

Then play him in all domestic teams  facing international teams as well as Ranji , Duleep etc.   Vision should be, 

Exactly !

This is my point too.

Selectors seem to have decided that unless someone plays sufficiently in Ranji Trophy, he cannot be selected for 4-day A-teams and Duleep Trophy.

This is a regressive mindset for exceptional talents like Gill.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Don't you think Dravid endorses this too ?

There have been reports of Dravid asking for and getting specific players in the A-teams.

Hmmmm ..  not sure .. 

Talent is very obvious even to an average cricket follower.

If we were to think Dravid too pushes for him but selectors won't listen to him..  ???

Tough to digest when the player involved is not just a shifarasi material but a potential great.  

20 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Exactly !

This is my point too.

Selectors seem to have decided that unless someone plays sufficiently in Ranji Trophy, he cannot be selected for 4-day A-teams and Duleep Trophy.

This is a regressive mindset for exceptional talents like Gill.

the last selector I think who backed youth was Vengsarkar.

8 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Hmmmm ..  not sure .. 

Talent is very obvious even to an average cricket follower.

If we were to think Dravid too pushes for him but selectors won't listen to him..  ???

Tough to digest when the player involved is not just a shifarasi material but a potential great.  

No ... I am saying that there is a good possibility that  Dravid wants players to come up the ranks too and has not pushed for Gill for the 4-day A-team.

At this point Hanuma vihari is ahead in the list for National cap n rightly so 

But Gill is a special talent whose non selection on A-tour n duleep for longer format is baffling . Shaw n gill are special talent when it comes to batting n they shud be given maximum exposure, shaw is getting that but a much better batsman gill isnt which is not right. 

But to be honest m not shocked, when a special talent like rahul is treated like that what are the chances of these kids 

Kohli made his debut at the age of 19, so he should have some decency before rejecting young talents outright and make them word extra hard for their place. 

Vijay is on his last legs and I think they should try Mayank Agarwal in an overseas test before opting for Shaw. Mayank deserve his chance. 

KL Rahul will be the obvious 2nd opener and if they have plans for him to bat at #3, then they need to find one more opener. 

So that leaves us Gill as a backup option for Pujara, who I feel shouldn't be allowed to play in overseas match. Pujara can be a backup option for Rahane in Asia and he should be nowhere near the team in SENA countries. 

And as for Dhawan, just boot him out already. We have had enough of his thigh slappings.