Which current Indian batsman has the best batting technique??

Which current Indian batsman has the best batting technique??  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which current Indian batsman has the best batting technique??

39 minutes ago, Oldhere said:

Im not sure on this as have seen multiple experts saying that Tendu had better technique than Dravid and lot of others.

Its a myth which gets created around defensive batsmen that they have better techniques.

Infact Dravid had gaping holes in his technique.

Its bit confusing tbh, reason why I created this thread, different experts will have different opinions about technique.

Who do you think did the best against lateral movement, swing, square turn, genuine pace, cracked pitch etc.

Tendu or dravid??  

Stick to who you found convincing.

18 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

Whose it in your opinion? 

Kohli? 

This Indian team does not have technical masters like Gavaskar or Tendulkar ...  and it is difficult to have one in the T20 era.

Pujara and Rahane are excluded due to their issues against pace and spin respectively.

Kohli, Rahul and Vijay are the contenders.

Vijay has developed a weakness against the rising ball on the off-stump from 2016.

Rahul has changing techniques including trigger movements.  May have issues against movement by pacers.

Kohli had difficulty playing outswing.

I will withhold my opinion regarding Rahul till he plays more outside Asia. 

Among Vijay and Kohli ... better technique

Vijay till 2014

Kohli  from 2015

Edited by express bowling

The technique is all about judging the length.  Dravid never used to commit to front foot or back foot. He would always be prepared to rock back if needed. From the first shot, you can see he would try to reach if he feels he can't he would rock back. Any batsman can make a misjudgment. Great batsmen often can recover quickly to a decent position. Rohit sharma is a classic example of getting into bad positions. Among the current lot Kohli can make very good late adjustments. Subhman Gill has that trait as well. 

1 hour ago, adi B said:

If we go by text book ,it's vijay,not a lot glaring weakness .kohli does struggle a bit on raging turners (who doesn't?)

Yeah but that doesn't count for much if you can't find ways to score runs at a healthy clip even in tests imo. Vijay struggles to score runs at times just like Pujara.

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Yeah but that doesn't count for much if you can't find ways to score runs at a healthy clip even in tests imo. Vijay struggles to score runs at times just like Pujara.

He is comfortable playing for long period although he can hit the ball around. Often he tries to be adventurous against spin. That is where he breaks his shackles. For now let him consume some overs against these two. Hope other batsmen score quickly.

6 hours ago, Oldhere said:

Im not sure on this as have seen multiple experts saying that Tendu had better technique than Dravid and lot of others.

Its a myth which gets created around defensive batsmen that they have better techniques.

Infact Dravid had gaping holes in his technique.

I agree with the first bolded part , while the second one is unnecessary . 

Dravid was far superior to Tendulkar when the ball swung , while on bouncy and spinning tracks Tendulkar was much better so I would agree Tendulkar had better technique overall than any other batsmen I have seen , but Dravid did not have gaping holes in his technique . 

6 hours ago, speedheat said:

Its bit confusing tbh, reason why I created this thread, different experts will have different opinions about technique.

Who do you think did the best against lateral movement, swing, square turn, genuine pace, cracked pitch etc.

Tendu or dravid??  

Stick to who you found convincing.

Lateral Movement  Tendulkar > Dravid 

Swing  Dravid >>> Tendulkar

Square Turn Tendulkar > Dravid

Cracked Pitch Tendulkar > Dravid 

15 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

I agree with the first bolded part , while the second one is unnecessary . 

Dravid was far superior to Tendulkar when the ball swung , while on bouncy and spinning tracks Tendulkar was much better so I would agree Tendulkar had better technique overall than any other batsmen I have seen , but Dravid did not have gaping holes in his technique . 

Gaping holes Lol. That was a joke. I agree. He was one of the best technician of his era. Missing a few balls towards the end of his career won't make him he had gaping holes. In my view hardest ball to negotiate is swing. Period. It has been a perennial problem for all Asian over the years. Dravid is one of the best in history against swing not just from India. Even Nasser Hussain wanted English batsmen to watch and learn from Dravid. He is no slouch against the short ball.  He had issues when the ball ducked back in. Tendulkar didn't? HE had the same issue as well. Laxman had even worse record against such balls. One key difference was Tendulkar was brutal against all bad balls which made bowlers bowl different lengths and he capitalized on it. Dravid by nature was defensive. You could keep probing him. Against spin obviously Tendulkar was superior (not in the last few years of his career though). Sehwag would outbat all  of them against spin even in trying conditions.

Edited by vvvslaxman
Just now, jusarrived said:

I maximum swing at relatively high speed I have seen is Anderson in England , Dravid to me played him to perfection . I agree Tendulkar played Steyn and Lee better though .

Anderson was never fast, though he did swing the ball more. Steyn and Lee were always 10 to 20 kph faster than him, top speed, and swung it both ways.

As good as Anderson was, the best spell of fast bowling I've seen was Steyn at Cape Town 2011 and he was swinging it miles, SRT negotiated him through a whole session. To put it into perspective, he didn't even let a set Gambhir face him, although he himself needed some luck to survive on that day and score a ton.

9 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Anderson was never fast, though he did swing the ball more. Steyn and Lee were always 10 to 20 kph faster than him, top speed, and swung it both ways.

As good as Anderson was, the best spell of fast bowling I've seen was Steyn at Cape Town 2011 and he was swinging it miles, SRT negotiated him through a whole session. To put it into perspective, he didn't even let a set Gambhir face him, although he himself needed some luck to survive on that day and score a ton.

Steyn is a great outswing bowler. Not a great inswing bowler. Sure he can slip inswingers just like any other bowlers. But he has far more control over his outswing. Anderson has reasonable control both ways albeit at a slightly slower speed. But when you can swing both ways very well you can sow more doubts in the minds of batsmen. Besides Kookaburra is not exactly known for swing compared to Duke ball. Duke ball in English conditions is a whole different beast Kookaburra in SA conditions where you can leave the ball on length swing or no swing.

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

actually you are right and wrong. It counts that he negates the new ball more often, but it is also a fact that he is not able to kick on and score runs like we want him to. Its difference between good to great. He is good enough in the team for his role atm.