Why chasing in 4th innings is so difficult in test cricket?

Austin 3:!6

I mean 245 is a walk in the park in white ball cricket. Hell 245 is even scored in T20s and Rohit Sharma alone has 260 odd score.

But in test cricket India chased anything over 240 just 3 times in entire history, can you believe it? Why is there such a drastic difference? Does players need to change their mindset and go more into ODI mode while chasing in test cricket? How can batting in 4th innings be improved?

3 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Completely agree. At least in ODIs there is a pressure of run rate etc. In test cricket there are no such things, so it should be rather easier :dontknow:

Indian batsmen esp this generation under Kohli's captaincy are mental midgets. Everyone's scared over their place therefore cant play freely and score runs at a higher rate. Result-- they get bogged down and lose their wicket due to relentless pressure by bowlers.

Otherwise there is no reason a a team cannot chase 200 odd in TWO days thats nearly 150-170 overs 

2 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Indian batsmen esp this generation under Kohli's captaincy are mental midgets. Everyone's scared over their place therefore cant play freely and score runs at a higher rate. Result-- they get bogged down and lose their wicket due to relentless pressure by bowlers.

Otherwise there is no reason a a team cannot chase 200 odd in TWO days thats nearly 150-170 overs 

If you think "scoring at a higher rate" is that easy on 4th, 5th days in England, you better stop watching test cricket. Better stick to watching T20s on patta wickets.

10 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I mean 245 is a walk in the park in white ball cricket. Hell 245 is even scored in T20s and Rohit Sharma alone has 260 odd score.

But in test cricket India chased anything over 240 just 3 times in entire history, can you believe it? Why is there such a drastic difference? Does players need to change their mindset and go more into ODI mode while chasing in test cricket? How can batting in 4th innings be improved?

This is what happens in T20 in bowling friendly conditions.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8604/scorecard/951329/india-vs-new-zealand-13th-match-super-10-group-2-world-t20-2015-16

and in ODIs

236 all out

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18018/scorecard/1119547/england-vs-india-2nd-odi-ind-in-eng-2018

112 all out

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18074/scorecard/1122726/india-vs-sri-lanka-1st-odi-sl-in-india-2017-18

245 is not walk in the park in LOIs if conditions favor bowlers.

The pitch is relatively difficult to bat on .... the opposition would be going for the kill 

if opposition bowled full tosses and half trackers, I am sure we would do better 

To see the answer, see how Ind lost to Pak in the test where Tendulkar got that 100 .... or see Srinath rip apart SA at A’bad in 1996

Just now, NareshK said:

If you think "scoring at a higher rate" is that easy on 4th, 5th days in England, you better stop watching test cricket. Better stick to watching T20s on patta wickets.

I dont mean going at 9 RPO you dense person :facepalm: Ive probably been watching test cricket longer than you so lets not go there.

What i mean is if you sneak a boundary once per over you put pressure on the bowler. If you block and block while restricting scoring shots you put pressure on the team chasing a total.

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

Those are extreme conditions for batting with green tinge of grass. This pitch under baking sunshine is far from unplayable.

245 is not a big deal at all if you ask me. Even England in last test scored 330 odd in last innings

1 minute ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I dont mean going at 9 RPO you dense person :facepalm: Ive probably been watching test cricket longer than you so lets not go there.

What i mean is if you sneak a boundary once per over you put pressure on the bowler. If you block and block while restricting scoring shots you put pressure on the team chasing a total.

You know better than Kohli who is one of the greatest chasers in cricket. Thanks for the laugh, dumbass.

Just now, Austin 3:!6 said:

Those are extreme conditions for batting with green tinge of grass. This pitch under baking sunshine is far from unplayable.

245 is not a big deal at all if you ask me. Even England in last test scored 330 odd in last innings

Can you share instances teams scoring 250+ in ODIs in similar conditions where ball is swinging and turning?