Rahul Pant Partnership

Laaloo

19 hours ago, Laaloo said:

You guys know how much I love bashing dhoni. But this is a feel good thread appreciating partnership. Let's keep dhoni bashing away until Asia cup :nice:

itna acha kaise ho gaya tu...lol... but usual suspects are still interested in making it into Anti-dhoni crap, nobody is interested in Rahul or Pant... tragedy of ICF

So Pant broke some records it seems... great knock

41467883_10155730184847555_7203992110649835520_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=2571f067e2b3869415bb007259eddd9d&oe=5C30B26D

20 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Just think about it. 204 runs in partnership of a day 5 pitch. Most teams get rolled out for sub 100 runs on a day 5 pitch. See what happens when Batsmen attack. It unsettles the bowlers and they can't keep bowling that same line and length.  Kudos to Rahul for taking the initiative and for Pant to keep hitting.

Spot on. I would add to it 204 runs in partnership on Day 5 pitch batting in last innings, moreover after having fielded for 234.3 overs.

5 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Spot on. I would add to it 204 runs in partnership on Day 5 pitch batting in last innings, moreover after having fielded for 234.3 overs.

Yup and pant had to dive around with variable bounce as well. It was an awesome partnership. Regardless of the results, just for pure entertainment value, best I've seen in quite some time.

5 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Yup and pant had to dive around with variable bounce as well. It was an awesome partnership. Regardless of the results, just for pure entertainment value, best I've seen in quite some time.

Yup, fielding effort has to be considered that's why i mentioned 234.3 overs.

The last time i watched brilliant batting on day 5 was at Perth. Ben Stokes scored a brilliant on on Day 5 against Aussies on a wicket which had a wide enough crack running through the length of the wicket. I didn't watch the innings yesterday but any 100 on Day 5 wicket of test match is worth 24 carat gold, whoever be the player or opponents. The energy consumed on 4 days is already a hangover. Scoring 100 considering that context and also that most of Day 5 knocks nowadays means players are batting in second innings pressure of surviving for a draw is amazing effort. Very disappointed with 1-4 loss but this has to be positive, from the individual cricketers point of view atleast.

Edited by Straight Drive
6 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Yup, fielding effort has to be considered that's why i mentioned 234.3 overs.

The last time i watched brilliant batting on day 5 was at Perth. Ben Stokes scored a brilliant on on Day 5 against Aussies on a wicket which had a wide enough crack running through the length of the wicket. I didn't watch the innings yesterday but any 100 on Day 5 wicket of test match is worth 24 carat gold, whoever be the player or opponents. The energy consumed on 4 days is already a hangover. Scoring 100 considering that context and also that most of Day 5 knocks nowadays means players are batting in second innings pressure of surviving for a draw is amazing effort. Very disappointed with 1-4 loss but this has to be positive, from the individual cricketers point of view atleast.

Yep it's even more commendable when you look at the scoreboard and think that the top order already packed their bags and went shopping with their wives. Day 5. Test series already over and grueling tour about to end. They could  have gotten out cheaply as the top order did. But Rahul aggression after the 3rd wicket totally changed everything. Such crisp batting. No ugly hacks or inside edges. Just proper batting sprinkled with t20 aggression.

5 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Yep it's even more commendable when you look at the scoreboard and think that the top order already packed their bags and went shopping with their wives. Day 5. Test series already over and grueling tour about to end. They could  have gotten out cheaply as the top order did. But Rahul aggression after the 3rd wicket totally changed everything. Such crisp batting. No ugly hacks or inside edges. Just proper batting sprinkled with t20 aggression.

Thank you for the insight into the partnership. I will try to watch it on you tube over the weekend.

From whatever little  i have watched of Rahul in tests, i think he is more like KP type of player in terms of style. Like in case of KP sometimes his batting seems easy when he is in flow and during some dismissals seems very reckless as well. Similar aggression wise as well.  

This partnership also reminds me of Azhar and Sachin tons on tour to SA in 1996 at the Cape. Everyone else flopped. Sach scored 169 and Azhar scored 115. iirc it was Azharuddin who cracked 5 boundaries off Kluesner in one over, atleast a couple through brilliant cover drives. Out of the five tons Sachin has scored on South African soil, it was my best. Watched all of that test match.

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

so, in a discussion w.r.t test 100, we can't  say that Dhoni is an over all  ATG player . Isn't it? Brilliant logic!!!!!!!!!!

Yes because his atg status in odi itself is debatable. Ponting is ATG because of his batting performance in odi and test and not because of 3 wc  winning captain as his team was legendary.

15 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Yes because his atg status in odi itself is debatable. Ponting is ATG because of his batting performance in odi and test and not because of 3 wc  winning captain as his team was legendary.

i believe him to be an ATG..... and general perception too is that Dhoni is a certified one day ATG batsman. If you think other wise , so be it. 

On 9/12/2018 at 12:13 AM, Laaloo said:

Just think about it. 204 runs in partnership of a day 5 pitch. Most teams get rolled out for sub 100 runs on a day 5 pitch. See what happens when Batsmen attack. It unsettles the bowlers and they can't keep bowling that same line and length.  Kudos to Rahul for taking the initiative and for Pant to keep hitting.

and left right combo adds up to it