History - India win first ever Border-Gavaskar Trophy in Australia

5 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Same here. Absolutely loathed the test era under Dhoni. The back broke when he lost to England in home.

Developed a new interest after Kohli took over all formats and mainly because our fast bowling success abroad and spinners bull dozing at home.

All the best for the World Test Championship.

Losing that england 2012 series at home was our lowest test cricket point. Right up there with those 0-8 tours. No surprise who was the captain. Lost the series after he asked the curators for spinning pitches :facepalm:

48 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Not to mention 1985 (0-0) and 1977  (2-3) teams, who came a lot closer , only to be denied by biased umpiring. My father passed away without seeing a series win in Aus. This win is for all such fans who will rejoice in heaven. Great historic moment for test cricket fans in India of all generations.

Did we not also come close in 1994? We had a day washed out? We're we denied a chance to win a series or draw the series?

17 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Did we not also come close in 1994? We had a day washed out? We're we denied a chance to win a series or draw the series?

They didn't tour Australia in 1994. 1986 India should have won  rain came with 60 odd needed.If they had won, they would have won in England and Australia.

2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Are we the first team, from Asia, to win abroad in NZ, WI, Eng, Aus? I know we're the first in 3 of those but unsure about NZ, has Pak beaten them away before us?

India is first team from Asia to win test series in WI,Eng & Aus including NZ in 1967-68 by 3-1 margin. Winning the first test overseas (SENA WI) is more mixed between Ind & Pak. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Not to mention 1985 (0-0) and 1977  (2-3) teams, who came a lot closer , only to be denied by biased umpiring. My father passed away without seeing a series win in Aus. This win is for all such fans who will rejoice in heaven. Great historic moment for test cricket fans in India of all generations.

1985 was closest ...they should have won MCG game by canter and also at SCG . Weak Aus team and probably strongest Indian team of mid 80s. chasing partly 126 Gavaskar in combination with Amaranth wasted tons of ball before rain arrived to wash out the last day ( to be fair weather forecast was not as reliable during those years that would have allowed them to attack )

6 hours ago, Kannadiga said:

Ganguly's team had a huge mental block when playing against top teams, even though he had some of the best players in his possession. His team also failed to deliver as a unit, giving more preference to the personnel milestones. He didn't lead by the example either as he most of the time failed to deliver as a player. Kohli is up there with Ricky Ponting and the only thing missing is WC titles. He need to rectify his selection methods though. 

Spot on they had best batting lineup and yet consistently failed to even give bowlers defendable totals away from home.

Ganguly's team should have evolved into much better unit after 2003-04 Australian series .After Pakistan series Ganguly's insecurities as a batsman came into picture.

I don't rate Ganguly as wonderful captain at all.I rate Dravid higher.

There's 2 components to captaincy, as Clarke rightly said today morning - leadership i.e. leading from the front, with bat or bowl, & then tactics or planning.

Tactically, Dada & MSD were better than Kohli but he leads way better from the front. Same goes for Dravid, but again he lacked tactically IMO even though we won in England under him.

^^^ What wonderful tactics did Ganguly showcase, like batting till 3rd day in 2004 when series was there to be won.Dravid was tactically sound like he was the captain who instilled chasing as a goal.India was wonderful chasing team in 2006.He was first captain to play five bowlers in order to get 20 wickets, unfortunately he lost both tests and that plan never took off but he did try something different.

Dhoni had no tactics away from home.I would rate Dhoni as the worst captain to have led India in overseas tests.Shami and Ishant played under him too.He looked lost when he had to deal with pace , Dhoni the test captain set Indian cricket a decade back.

Edited by putrevus