Why did India not fast-track Shivam Mavi like Pakistan did with Shaheen Afridi?

SecondSlip

6 minutes ago, Number said:

Well I agree about batting quality.

However seeing Mavi getting hit for 4 6s, I could understand why selectors didn't chose him. 

If something like this happens in intl game, his confidence will be gone. So its better to have one when he is ready. 

Afridi to me looked more complete and more mature bowler. 

I will tell you situation is plain and simple.

If you watch Tennis, you would know there are two draws always - one is the number 1 seed side of the draw and the other the number 2 seed draw. So taking recent grand slam example - Both number and number 1 and number 2 - Djokovic and Nadal continued to destroy all the players. Djokovic though struggled in few games in his side of draw where he dropped a set and got a scare or two. However, Nadal pulverized all opponents in his draw and everyone going into finals thought Nadal is just the best player on tour at the moment and is going to win the Australian Open. It wasn't until they both finally met in the final and Nadal, who hadn't lost a single set, yes a single set through out the tournament, got schooled like a kid by Djokovic in the all important final.

Moral of the story - You are as good as your opponents until you have faced the real opposition. I am not saying PSL is played among kids, but you have to factor in the low scoring games which happen in PSL. All young bowlers do well there, including overseas players. 

IPL is all about runs most of the time where bowlers have tougher task. 

Anyone performing there should be appreciated but we shouldn't look too much into someone getting destroyed, as every great bowler gets destroyed in IPL. 

Why?Because there is no pressing need.

We have bumrah,shami,ishant,bhuvi,umesh ready in tests.

Bhuvi,shami and bumrah for tests.

Siraj has earned the right to be next in line.After that rajpoot,saini and avesh.

Mavi is very young.Give him a couple of years in the domestics -once he's 22 odd and muscles have developed and he has top of the line domestic performance behind him,get him in.

The true scandal of indian fast bowling is return of trundlers like khaleel,thakur,kaul,chahar.

Because our selectors and coach value variety more than impact. KKR's fast bowling line up (barring Vinay Kumar) looks way better than India's reserve bowlers for LOIs. That's how poor some selections have been

Nagarkoti, Mavi, Prasidh... That's loads of talent right there.. vs Khaleel, Thakur, Kaul, Unadkat that our selectors have picked..

Add Saini, Rajpoot and Siraj to the mix that KKR offers.. Indian pace bowler cupboard looks strong for the next decade. Sad that we haven't been able to use them in this WC...

Maybe coz our first choice wicketkeeper can't handle that pace.

Edited by bowl_out
8 hours ago, Late Cut said:

So you’d replace the best bowling attack India has had, ever, per all the numbers for these guys? I already saw 4 different names mentioned up thread...it makes sense to give them India A and such opportunities, but no need to “fast track” anyone unless they can perform.

As for why Pakistan did it...the answer is obvious; their current pace attack sucks.

How about our pace attack? Who do we have after Bhuvi, Bumrah & Shami in ODIs?

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Pakistan doesn't exactly a long queue of fast bowlers waiting. So he was able to get in early.

Neither does India in ODIs. 
Mavi is still a much better investment than trundlers Khaleel, Thakur, Chahar, Kaul, Unadkat etc. 

Afridi had a mediocre PSL last year.He bowled one dream spell in which he took 5 wickets and conceded just 4 runs.Besides that performance he was being smashed by the batsmen.

Pakistan tend to pick some players in the team just because of their raw talent but in India one has to go through a process before being selected.

Shaheen would not have been in the ODI team if Pakistan would have played well in Asia Cup.The other pacers struggled and Shaheen was lucky to get the opportunity and he has not looked back since.

Mavi will get opportunities after this world cup but I don't think he is as good as Shaheen.

Our system works differently to Pakistan.

Have Shaw and Gill been fast tracked? No, they banged the door in domestic cricket to make it to the team. Mavi is yet to do that, Has had a decent start to his FC career but yet to get the break through performance (did get a hattrick), He was part of the u-23 team, so he is in the reckoning. 

Another thing that did not go in Mavi's favor was below average performance in IPL for KKR,. Shaheen Afridi OTOH took a 5-er in PSL which led to his fast tracking. He then also did well for Pakistan A last year. 

Nagerkotti obviously hasn't played since u-19 WC. Has a long road ahead of him after recovering from injury.

I think the team management missed a trick here. They should have fast-tracked Mavi into the senior team instead of going back to TTFs like Umesh Yadav & Shardul Thakur. 

Both Mavi and Nagarkoti outperformed Afridi during last year’s U19 World Cup, but it’s the Pakistani kid who is already playing for his senior team whereas our 2 boys are nowhere to be seen. We should have also had Mavi established in our senior team by now but messed it up. 

Its not like his competition is any better than him. Mavi is still a much better bowler to invest in as compared to trundlers like Khaleel, Chahar, Kaul, Unadkat etc. 

Shivam Mavi could have been India’s solution to its 4th pace bowler puzzle for the upcoming World Cup. Had he been fast-tracked into the team, he could have learnt a lot from Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi at this point. 

It’s because current Ind pace attack is good enough...well, apart from Khaleel. You don’t need Mavi at this stage.

10 hours ago, Hisham said:

Afridi had a mediocre PSL last year.He bowled one dream spell in which he took 5 wickets and conceded just 4 runs.Besides that performance he was being smashed by the batsmen.

Pakistan tend to pick some players in the team just because of their raw talent but in India one has to go through a process before being selected.

Shaheen would not have been in the ODI team if Pakistan would have played well in Asia Cup.The other pacers struggled and Shaheen was lucky to get the opportunity and he has not looked back since.

Mavi will get opportunities after this world cup but I don't think he is as good as Shaheen.

I agree fully with your assessment . 

Edited by prudent_kreeda