Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

maniac

Just now, ShoonyaSifar said:

Rathour, one of my favourite players at that time (had seen him bat a few times at Roshanara Club in Delhi), hit his only 50 of the tour. The bugger must have scored over 1000 runs in practice matches on that tour but was a total dud in Tests and ODIs

I remember him breaking his hand or something in the SA tour but he was an “attacking” opener for those days standards. Would score pretty fast

1 hour ago, velu said:

i haven't watched that game actually .. but that scorecard is not easy to forget :p: 

later in 2000s , i did some research on that game  ..

just saw the scorecard of that game... WTF was that..

how did commentators, media react to it.. I guess there wasn't so much media attention back then, so they just let is pass?

1 minute ago, bowl_out said:

just saw the scorecard of that game... WTF was that..

how did commentators, media react to it.. I guess there wasn't so much media attention back then, so they just let is pass?

There was a huge uproar and they both were dropped the next game. In fact that game became the center of attention during the match fixing saga that happened 5 years later and both Mongia and Prabhakar were major players in that scandal.

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

There was a huge uproar and they both were dropped the next game. In fact that game became the center of attention during the match fixing saga that happened 5 years later and both Mongia and Prabhakar were major players in that scandal.

Good that they threw the bad apples away, but sad that it was only temporary.. they persisted with Prabhakar till the 1996 WC and with Mongia even beyond that

Edited by bowl_out

Also remember Uthappa’s 80 odd I think from 40 odd balls against WI. I was in a restaurant in India and remember people in the restaurant laughing at his WTF hitting. He would move all over the crease and smack the ball like a “tracer bullet” I think that’s when Ravi Shastri said forget your Idlis and dosas or something like that :laugh: not sure of that.

However I think Samuels won the match for WI

EDIT: Uthappa scored 71(41) and Samuels and Lara won the game for Wi

Edited by maniac
52 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Matches from 1987 WC, watching on B&W TVs! Gavaskar hitting a ODI 100 and Chetan Sharma’s hattrick 

Chetan Sharma hitting a 100 vs NZ in Nehru Cup 1989

1993 ODI series vs Eng, esp the match where Robin Smith hit a 100 and we won thanks to Sidhu’s 100, Paul Jarvis taking a 5-er

Mohali Test vs WI in 1994, Prabhakar getting hit by Ken Benjamin

Ricardo Powell’s 100 in Singapore in a tri series final

Phillo Wallace hitting a first ball six off Srinath in 1998 ICC Knock out semis

Sehwag’s 100  vs NZ in SL in 2001, word spread around the hostel that a Sachin clone is batting!

That Sehwag inning was a freak innings, still remember a piece written with a title in Hindi newspaper ,which read -

कीवी,हार,निंदा सब उड़ गए सहवागी तूफ़ान में

singer akai ndahas final 1998, got to finally watch the highlights last year

1997 during summer vacations i remember one siyarams cup in Ind between Ind and Pak, at that time I used to fear that Pak side

1996 Robin Singh tie, really vague memories, i just watched the Zim innings

ind vs wi  run fests series in 2002

1996  titan cup, interesting i used to think Dravuid and Kumble are same as they used to bat with Willis bat, used to copy Paul Adams action

that Rajesh Chauahn game and Dhaka chase vs Pak

one useless series between Zim and Aus in 1999, epic foie.d set by Aussies in one of tests

wi vs pak series in 2000, that was really fun series again during summer vacations

aus vs sa in sa in 2000 under Pollock , 3 match odi series, i rmemeber SA winning that and it was big for them

Nickly Boje series vs NZ in SA, whenver watched the highlights in SS of that series it was Boje scoring ruins, i thought he had become a batsman

Edited by SK_IH

1996-98 was really golden time, there used to be so many triangular and quadrangular series with random jerseys, i remember a bunch of them in SA, Pak, Ind, Aus, Kenya, Singapore etc.

Also i remember the cup Eng won in 1997, Sharjah Stadium had a different look in that series unlike earlier series with the whites

Watching those Sahara Cup matches in 1996 and 97 used to be fun as well. Harvinder Singh was a superstar. Matches, telecast on Star TV would start at 7-8 PM India time and end at around 3 am in the morning. We used to watch it at a medical store near our hostel. The patrolling policemen would stop us every night early in the morning while we weould be returning to the hostel and threaten to report us to the hotel warden! Some fun as 16-17 year olds.

For the 1998 Independence cup in Dhaka, we rented a TV set for 10 days! Best of three finals, some amazing memories.

14 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

1996-98 was really golden time, there used to be so many triangular and quadrangular series with random jerseys, i remember a bunch of them in SA, Pak, Ind, Aus, Kenya, Singapore etc.

Also i remember the cup Eng won in 1997, Sharjah Stadium had a different look in that series unlike earlier series with the whites

Cricket before T20 leagues was gold. We would tour every country once in four years so it was like a festival. Now there is so much money that any series can be arranged at anytime and anywhere, it's too professional now.

Before I used to be scared of Sri Lanka, Mahela, Sanga, DeSilva, Jayasuria, Murali and Vaas, so many stars. Now also I wait for Sri Lanka tour but only for Rohit Sharma scoring few more 200s or a possible 300 in ODIs.

6 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Cricket before T20 leagues was gold. We would tour every country once in four years so it was like a festival. Now there is so much money that any series can be arranged at anytime and anywhere, it's too professional now.

Before I used to be scared of Sri Lanka, Mahela, Sanga, DeSilva, Jayasuria, Murali and Vaas, so many stars. Now also I wait for Sri Lanka tour but only for Rohit Sharma scoring few more 200s or a possible 300 in ODIs.

bhai Jayasuriya aur Desilva hi kaafi they khauf ke liye :fear1:

3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

We were younger and hence had more intensity. Plus we did not have all cricket matches shown live in India like now when there is some match always on the TV all through the year.

Ind-SL was as common back then as well, esp from 1996 to 2001. Every 3rd month there used to be a tri series somewhere where Jaysurya will thrash us. Painful memories :((

Kulasekara was such a high skilled bowler, he had Vinay Kumar speeds but amazing skills with seam and swing, also was number one ICC ODI bowler for quite some time. 2 new ball rule probably made him completely obsolete, it was sad to see how Rohit Sharma mercilessly thwacked him in his 264.

Cricket is slowly becoming more athletic power based game rather than skill.

4 minutes ago, MechEng said:

SL were easily second best ODI side in the world after Australia in 2000s. In 1990s also they were second best with Pak and Aussies sharing first position.

1999 I would say SA, Aus and Pak/SL in that order. SA choked at the worst moment in 1999, otherwise would have been undisputed best in ODIs

1985, the tied test match against Australia. I think it was the last over and Ravi Shastri was bowling. Aussies needed a couple of runs to win, but somehow couldnt manage it and the test was drawn! 

Watching India's tour of Pakistan in 1988, when Sachin made his debut. In the ODI, Sachin hit Qadir for 3 straight sixes. And the commentators, who were heavily biased against Indians, were so shell shocked, they could hardly utter a word of appreciation. 

India vs South Africa Test. India 100 ao and 66 ao respectively. My school took us on North India tour when the match was going on, so it has to be like Dec '95 or '96.
We were supposed to go on sightseeing, instead a couple of us stayed back in hotel to watch the Indian team collapse.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk