Surf Excel Holi ad

Stradlater

^ While growing up, I distinctly remember Burqa used to be rarity. Occasionally saw some group of Muslim women wearing Burqa when ther were with some elderly Muslim man.

But hizaab on little/young girl was never seen. So this add is definitely promoting wrong stuff (Hijaab ban in France) and divisive. Its trying to make Muslim feel and behave different then rest of Indians.

Unilever must not spread such stuff

PS: Based on Lipton add. Unilver

Edited by mishra

4 hours ago, mishra said:

^ While growing up, I distinctly remember Burqa used to be rarity. Occasionally saw some group of Muslim women wearing Burqa when ther were with some elderly Muslim man.

But hizaab on little/young girl was never seen. So this add is definitely promoting wrong stuff (Hijaab ban in France) and divisive. Its trying to make Muslim feel and behave different then rest of Indians.

Unilever must not spread such stuff

PS: Based on Lipton add. Unilver

In France, Hijab is not banned, but only the NIQAAB (i.e. hiding the face) is banned.

But you are right that earlier Muslims were not so much religious (both in India and Pakistan). The Hijab/Burqah along with beard and radicalism started in 1980s when Saudia got lot of influence and Salafi teachings started spreading. Also radical Muslims (like Zakir Naik) used the Fast Media very successfully. 

10 hours ago, ShankarShailendra said:

How about these multinationals sticking to their job, which is to sell their products & not trying to don a reformer's hat like Dayanand Saraswati. Along with HUL the ad agency Lowe Lintas group should also be held accountable.

One word - CSR.

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4679-corporate-social-responsibility.html

It is an upcoming area where people with Humanities degrees are finding jobs in the corporate sector.

6 hours ago, speedheat said:

Look carefully, ad calls holy colours a "daag" in a subtle way.

Pathetic.

Don't worry about such things, Hinduism is very secular and they don't mind these insults. It is the ROP that is so sensitive that it needs kid gloves and ROPphobia to counter such insults. 

@coffee_rules

Why would a coffee supremacist like you watch Tea adverts? :p:

I'm not sure if Red Label is a HUL brand. I think Lipton is their brand. Need to check.

Also, the blame (if any) isn't entirely on the parent FMCG company. The blame is also on the marketing agency. The Ogilvys and the Lintas of the world are just as much to 'blame'.

I did see the ad. I don't think that the Hindu couple are shown as 'close minded losers' as you put it. They are shown as people with a bias. And such biases do exist. Across the spectrum. And many a times these biases are irrational and/or disproportionate. Its another arguement if displaying these biases is necessary to sell a product.

Also, I do not buy the entire, the companies are out there to subtly or not so subtly denigrate Hinduism/Hindus. Why would a company risk sales and get its largest TG angry over stuff it has nothing to do with? Makes no economic sense.

18 hours ago, speedheat said:

Look carefully, ad calls holy colours a "daag" in a subtle way.

Pathetic.

I am afraid this is going towards little narrow mindedness. 

Please tell us if not "daag", then which term they should have used?

Did the people of India never used the word "daag" for colours of holy? 

I mean should now we respect the HOLY colours of holi too and people will be abused and blamed for being UNHOLY for that? Was the Fasaad in the society in name of respect of cow was not enough that now new doors of fasaad being opened in name of Holy colours of holi? 

Do you really call Hinduism to be Secular if this religion is not even able to forgive other people for not paying respects to Holy colours of holi?  

I am sorry if I am sounding hard here, but really I was shocked to see this comment from you. 

12 hours ago, Adi BB said:

Cringeworthy! Apne agenda ke liye bacho tak ko nahi choda 

I believe that children are free of bias and hatred, till they are give the bad education of animosity. 

But in this add, children are being given "good" education of respecting all other religions and not to impose holi upon those who have other things to do like prayer etc. This is the education which Hindu Children get from this ad.  While other part of the education was for the Muslim kids i.e. they should join the festivals of others and enjoy it with them when they are finished with their prayers.  

Now criticism upon this ad is going beyond limits. New objections are coming like respect of HOLY colours, and love Jihad while the little girl was a Hindu and the boy was a Muslim. I mean which low mind could think for love Jihad by looking at such young kids? 

The education to the kids is fine in this ad. 

While these are the adults who have been poisoned with hatred education. 

6 minutes ago, Detonator said:

Hope it goes both ways to maintain secularism.

FtBHIEy.jpg

Exactly. I have absolutely no problem with it. Actually I promote it as a Secularist, and if extremist Muslims protest upon it, then  they should be criticized the same way as the extremist Hindus are being criticized for their narrow mindedness. 

There are already films where Muslim girl married a Hindu boy. I saw one on the youtube (Manisha Koirala Heroine), and ALL Secularists were happy upon it in the comment section and telling that society need such marriages to come out of communal hatred. But it were the extremists from both sides (i.e. Muslims and Hindus) who were opposing inter-religion marriages and bringing arguments against it. 

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Also, I do not buy the entire, the companies are out there to subtly or not so subtly denigrate Hinduism/Hindus. Why would a company risk sales and get its largest TG angry over stuff it has nothing to do with? Makes no economic sense.

Yes, I am also of this opinion that company intention could never be to insult the majority. 

They seem to had good intentions of reducing the gaps between two communities and bring love between them. 

But problem is this that "Misunderstanding" and "Mistrust" between these 2 communities has gone so far away that people don't want even to hear the message of peace between them. No matter what, they will criticize all those who want to reduce this gap and want to bring an end to these hostilities. 

1 hour ago, Alam_dar said:

I am afraid this is going towards little narrow mindedness. 

Please tell us if not "daag", then which term they should have used?

Did the people of India never used the word "daag" for colours of holy? 

I mean should now we respect the HOLY colours of holi too and people will be abused and blamed for being UNHOLY for that? Was the Fasaad in the society in name of respect of cow was not enough that now new doors of fasaad being opened in name of Holy colours of holi? 

Do you really call Hinduism to be Secular if this religion is not even able to forgive other people for not paying respects to Holy colours of holi?  

I am sorry if I am sounding hard here, but really I was shocked to see this comment from you. 

You crazy? Can't you differentiate?? There is difference between a daag and holy colors Holi colors are sacred for millions of Hindus if not for you. " daag" is what they showed in some previous ads. There was no need to describe it as daag.

And yes we don't call it a daag at least not my family and there are no other alternate terms for it.

You crazy? Can't you differentiate?? There is difference between a daag and holy colors Holi colors are sacred for millions of Hindus if not for you. " daag" is what they showed in some previous ads. There was no need to describe it as daag.
And yes we don't call it a daag at least not my family and there are no other alternate terms for it.

Holi, the festival of stains - Alam_dar

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

There is nothing like bad or good publicity.. Its just publicity. 

Check the Nike campaign in US and their negative ad.. infact it increased their sales 

https://innertowords.com/nikes-controversial-ad/

@Alam_dar

You can't tell people how to feel.

If after so many ads people feel that they are being shown in a bad light consistently.....then that is the way they feel.

If people were burning down things or calling for heads ....then thay can be debated.

Can't tell people how to feel.

There is proof and even liberal people like me feel there is a deliberate attempt to score brownie points ( social cause here) by showing one community in a bad light because that one community can be taken for granted unlike the other community.

I would love to see this company preaching tolerance to the other community too though its ads...but they won't dare and you know why.

5 hours ago, speedheat said:

Thats language issue. Give him benefit of doubt. 

We have played holi with so many stuff, like grease, mud,cow-dung :yess:

Edited by mishra

6 hours ago, nikred said:

Holi, the festival of stains - Alam_dar emoji848.png

What is next then? 

Introducing the Blasphemy laws for insulting Holy colours of holi and then start lynching people like it has been done today for the blasphemy of cow? 

Where are we heading to? 

Same thing happened in Pakistan where everything related to the religion became sacred, not only for the Muslims, but also their sacredness imposed upon the others. 

Respect of Ramadhan (fasting) started at small level where people were told to avoid eating/drinking in front of fasting people. And it ended up in Ramadhan Ordinance where one is punished severely for eating/drinking in front of fasting people. 

Even if you want to respect the holy colours, why not to limit it to yourself? When you start judging the others on the bases of your religion, then there is a problem. 

Edited by Alam_dar

1 hour ago, beetle said:

@Alam_dar

You can't tell people how to feel.

As far as I know the human psychology, then there were not many people who had noticed any problem in these ads when they saw it first time at their own.

But then they were told by the others "how to feel" about it. 

Afterwards it became a national crises, while the one's who told them how to feel, they are influential and heard in the society due to their political influence. 

Initially Jews in Germany lived happily with the Germans. But then some influential people told them that Jews are the danger, and afterwards the Germans felt differently about the Jews. 

It is my personal observation, and you need not to agree with it. 

1 hour ago, beetle said:

If after so many ads people feel that they are being shown in a bad light consistently.....then that is the way they feel.

If people were burning down things or calling for heads ....then thay can be debated.

Can't tell people how to feel.

There is proof and even liberal people like me feel there is a deliberate attempt to score brownie points ( social cause here) by showing one community in a bad light because that one community can be taken for granted unlike the other community.

Let us accept what you wrote i.e. we can't tell people how to feel. 

Still I should have the right to tell them "How we FEEL about this case". 

And the company also has a right to tell "How they felt when they made this ad". 

And this is exactly what is happening. We are asking people only to be broad minded and try to see the angle from which the other side see the things, and try to understand their point of view too. 

Yes, people are not burning down the things, but we are also not burning the things or calling for heads, but only debating others with arguments. 

1 hour ago, beetle said:

I would love to see this company preaching tolerance to the other community too though its ads...but they won't dare and you know why.

In my opinion, there is already a message for both the communities in these ads, it is only this people are not comprehending the message for the other community. 

In one ad, there is a message that there is no harm if people of that community read and learn about the history of other religion, and then even involve in business of making idols for other community. I am an ex-Muslim and I know exactly what is going on in the minds of Mullahs after watching this add. Islamic Sharia strongly prohibits interaction with other communities and making idols (gods) is equal to KUFR and SHIRK. They absolutely hate this ad from their heart, even if they are not able to show it openly due to the pressure in India. Otherwise, in Pakistan such ad would have been banned and the case of Blasphemy would have been registered against all those who participated in it. 

Similarly, in other ad when the little girl tells the boy that after prayer holi will be played and the boy accepts it, then again it is a complete message in it too. Again Mullah are angry upon it while taking part in festivals of any other religion is strictly prohibited in Islam. 

I think that Indian Muslims are perhaps more liberal than the British Muslims, where the younger generation of Britain Muslims is totally boycotting the Christmas celebrations now-a-days. 

In the 3rd ad too, there was a message for the women of the Muslim community too if they are taking Hijab, still they need not to alienate themselves with the other people of other communities (as has been asked from them by the Mullahs and extremist Muslims). But they should socialize themselves with the people of other communities, even if they feel that people of other communities have some misunderstanding or bias towards them initially. Message for them is this that these misunderstandings could be come over if they get to learn each other better.