Hinduphobia In Secular India

SecondSlip

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Apologies, posted that on the spur of the moment, an emotional reaction because of provocative and hurtful posts/videos by some folks. Have nothing but the highest regard for Sikh Gurus and their teachings, traditions. And love/respect to Sikh community, shouldn't have allowed the fringe troublemakers to get to me. Maybe that is what these people want, to drive wedge between our communities. 

Next time you hear this:

"The idea of Langar originated from Annadaanam from Hindu sampraday, most of the Sikh gurus and Sikhs are converted from Hinduism, Not just Sikhs even Hindus donate money to gurdwaras and most langar and Annadaanam is a selfless service not a transactional service"

Just say muft ka nahi khate, daan bhi dete hain bhakti ke saath.

5 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Next time you hear this:

"The idea of Langar originated from Annadaanam from Hindu sampraday, most of the Sikh gurus and Sikhs are converted from Hinduism, Not just Sikhs even Hindus donate money to gurdwaras and most langar and Annadaanam is a selfless service not a transactional service"

Just say muft ka nahi khate, daan bhi dete hain bhakti ke saath.

Every Dharmakshetra in Kar, starting from Gokarna, Horanadu, Udupi, Dharmasthala, and in Mantralayam, free food is served to everybody coming to temple or otherwise. In Gokarna, I have sat next to white people living as yogis, hermits or as nomads not visiting the temple. for months,  eating food served without any charge. Langar is not unique to Sikhs only as popularly known to Indians.

The day the liberals start condemning such statements is the day I will start taking them seriously.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

I have to agree with Siddu here. There's just this uncomfortable feeling when you encounter people who put tilak on their foreheads. You just cannot help but to judge the person standing in front of you and to realise they are different from you and that you need to stay on guard. You just know logic and sense are not going to work out here.

Well it’s fair to assume that Hindus have also understood the art of playing victim. In modern times, that’s the best strategy. Play victim and early. Moment you try to claim tolerance as your forte you will go for the ride. 

Fundamental mistake our founders made was to keep religions active and celebrate. Naturally then you define minorities in terms of religion.  The constitution should have been agnostic to religion with strict controls on proselytism. Over 50 years, people would have just become practical. 

History rhymes. You try to do monkey balancing. Never works. Truth of the matter is that there was no religion called Hinduism. It is a civilisation also identity at best. But now when appeasement of minority was considered par for course, it was inevitable that there would be resurgence under garb of religion. 

even today you can afford to rile up Hindus because the consequences are not the same. But what is happening is that even agnostic ones are getting offended and connecting more to Hinduism. This is inevitable if not un intended consequence. Hindutva is Hinduism that resists. Sounds good. But truth is we could be creating another bogeyman if it mirrors same Abrahamic doggedness and traditions. Beauty about our civilisation was our flexibility and clarity on human life processes. The thing that hurt us was our cowardice and naivety. I am afraid we are increasingly becoming closer to the Abrahamic faiths and losing ingenuity of this civilisation. 

Does Hindu phobia exist ? Yes. But it’s not necessarily against Hindus because the phobics are Hindus. Charvakas ( brutal atheists ) were anti certain practices. I think it’s important to strike a balance between resisting and including. Between reforming and protecting. There are sinister forces at play. Coming from Tamil Nadu, Kerala and West Bengal, I have seen how this working to break this nation up. If Hinduism has to be the glue that connect, then it has to be inclusive and strong. 

On 12/27/2020 at 6:17 AM, ravishingravi said:

Well it’s fair to assume that Hindus have also understood the art of playing victim.

I won’t say playing victim, but a resurgence towards stereotyping of Hindus in mainstream society, by the so-called intellectual thekedaars.

Fundamental mistake our founders made was to keep religions active and celebrate. Naturally then you define minorities in terms of religion.  The constitution should have been agnostic to religion with strict controls on proselytism. Over 50 years, people would have just become practical. 

Indian civilization was always plural from ages. As a modern nation, he we chose secularism based on pluralistic principles. With British era controls on the majority continuing. When Muslim Pak was created. We should have called India , a Hindu nation based on pluralism as the goal, mutual respect of all, not tolerance as prescribed by secularism. 

History rhymes. You try to do monkey balancing. Never works. Truth of the matter is that there was no religion called Hinduism.

Dance with words, Hinduism is not a word from scripture, it was collectively called Dharma which doesn’t mean religion at all. It is a societal building concept and also to do with religion as defined by western definition.

It is a civilisation also identity at best. But now when appeasement of minority was considered par for course, it was inevitable that there would be resurgence under garb of religion. 

There was a garb of secularism earlier. Garb is lifted and it is a fight for equality including the majority. The opposition to this resurgence is naming it communal and giving it a religious color.

even today you can afford to rile up Hindus because the consequences are not the same. But what is happening is that even agnostic ones are getting offended and connecting more to Hinduism. This is inevitable if not un intended consequence. Hindutva is Hinduism that resists. Sounds good. But truth is we could be creating another bogeyman if it mirrors same Abrahamic doggedness and traditions. Beauty about our civilisation was our flexibility and clarity on human life processes. The thing that hurt us was our cowardice and naivety. I am afraid we are increasingly becoming closer to the Abrahamic faiths and losing ingenuity of this civilisation. 

It didn’t make sense to be pacifist against predators. Even then equating bogeyman Hindutva to Abrahamic religions is a disservice by neo-agnostic so-called RWers. Calling it is Hindu Pakistan is a dirty commie strategy which needs to be fought even by the agnostic raitha gang. Hindutva is not about religion, but a common cultural identity for Indians. 

Does Hindu phobia exist ? Yes. But it’s not necessarily against Hindus because the phobics are Hindus.

The phobics are not just secular Hindus, but are packed by a punch from Islamists, evangelicals, sick minded intellectuals of the EVR school grad atheists etc. The west also stereotyped Hindus as well, mainly because of xenophobia. Hindus didn’t set up PR campaigns to collectively define who we are. So based on western philologists warped definition with false translations of Vedas, scriptures have also distorted our definition largely in the west. 

Charvakas ( brutal atheists ) were anti certain practices. I think it’s important to strike a balance between resisting and including. Between reforming and protecting. There are sinister forces at play. Coming from Tamil Nadu, Kerala and West Bengal, I have seen how this working to break this nation up. If Hinduism has to be the glue that connect, then it has to be inclusive and strong. 

The last bolded part is precisely what Hindutva is defined as. They don’t want  Hindus to unite and be a collective bargainer, divide it and create a bogeyman of Hindutva

On 12/11/2020 at 1:36 AM, Gollum said:

Thank God I never participated in their langar. If you have taken part, donate some money to the Sikh trust with interest, for instance if you ate 2 rotis 10 years back ,market rate+interest ke hisaab se lauta do. Urge fellow Hindus to do the same, it seems their langar isn't prasad or annadanam as their Gurus envisaged. Dear Hindus have some self-respect at least, don't fall into any kind of trap. This is being weaponized, on SM many Sikhs (majority from Canada) appear to have the same mindset including Indian ones (unfortunately). Respect the Gurus and Sikhs but no need to go beyond that to show bhaichara.

And yeah no Hindu will ever insult the Gurus like their folks. Tolerance, respect will always be a one-way street. 

Apologies, posted that on the spur of the moment, an emotional reaction because of provocative and hurtful posts/videos by some folks. Have nothing but the highest regard for Sikh Gurus and their teachings, traditions. And love/respect to Sikh community, shouldn't have allowed the fringe troublemakers to get to me. Maybe that is what these people want, to drive wedge between our communities. 

Wow, the amount of hatred that some of you spew here and then complain about Hinduphobia.  Just visiting the Farmer's thread and a few more, and reading the many comments making either fun, hatred of Sikh or jibes at Sardars should automatically make even sane people pass anti-Hindus in return.  Yet the peace is kept. Anybody can get hatred material from social media but the comments by fellow ICF posters is what really gets the eyeballs rolling.

Thank God, many of us adhere to the mantra of well being of all. Keeps me at least sane  and not get in religious hatred. 

Nanak naam chardi kala, tere bhane sarbat da bhala.

Nirbhau, Nirvair

1 hour ago, The Great Punjab said:

Wow, the amount of hatred that some of you spew here and then complain about Hinduphobia.  Just visiting the Farmer's thread and a few more, and reading the many comments making either fun, hatred of Sikh or jibes at Sardars should automatically make even sane people pass anti-Hindus in return.  Yet the peace is kept. Anybody can get hatred material from social media but the comments by fellow ICF posters is what really gets the eyeballs rolling.

Thank God, many of us adhere to the mantra of well being of all. Keeps me at least sane  and not get in religious hatred. 

Nirbhau, Nirvair

Hindus don't make fun of Sikh Gurus or Guru Granth Sahib even on SM, . Many Sikhs (esp Canada, UK ones) OTOH have morphed pics of our deities, made vulgar memes, abused rituals/scriptures etc in the last few months. Respect goes both ways, I respect Sikhs who respect my faith and if you don't fall in that category too bad. And I don't see why people like Yograj aren't condemned by people from his community, heard what he said about Hindu women? Don't believe in starting the fire, but patience has limits. 

I deleted my post on this thread that day itself and apologized (I am sure you conveniently skipped the next post) since I didn't want to hurt feelings of fellow posters. And I hardly posted in farmer's thread. I saw the turban jibes there, I reported each of those posts (mostly by that poster 'sarchasm' IIRC), ask the admins, they will have my reports. Go preach elsewhere. 

Edited by Gollum

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Hindus don't make fun of Sikh Gurus or Guru Granth Sahib even on SM, . Many Sikhs (esp Canada, UK ones) OTOH have morphed pics of our deities, made vulgar memes, abused rituals/scriptures etc in the last few months. Respect goes both ways, I respect Sikhs who respect my faith and if you don't fall in that category too bad. And I don't see why people like Yograj aren't condemned by people from his community, heard what he said about Hindu women? Don't believe in starting the fire, but patience has limits. 

I deleted my post on this thread that day itself and apologized (I am sure you conveniently skipped the next post) since I didn't want to hurt feelings of fellow posters. And I hardly posted in farmer's thread. I saw the turban jibes there, I reported each of those posts (mostly by that poster 'sarchasm' IIRC), ask the admins, they will have my reports. Go preach elsewhere. 

What makes you think Hindus don't make fun? Just because you haven't come across or other people don't post it here like you guys doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are lots of posts on social media branding or categorizing people. However, I will be the bigger person and not get into such childish fights on social media. Btw, why do I even have to go on social media?  Just a few glimpses through a couple of threads on ICF, people are making anti-religious comments.  Admins and moderators are not blind, they can read and they allow what goes on the site. Also why shouldn't I "preach" here?  Like stated earlier, I don't condone religious hatred.  Your other post is also in the quote but doesn't take away your initial hatred in the post.  To be honest, quite shameful for a 'veteran' poster. You're complaining about Hinduphobia and then ironically dishing out the same in your little safe haven here. The irony.   Good for you to backtrack from your initial post full of hatred. If I see something wrong, I WILL "PREACH".

My philosophy is clear

Nirbhau, Nirvair

Edited by The Great Punjab

15 hours ago, The Great Punjab said:

What makes you think Hindus don't make fun? Just because you haven't come across or other people don't post it here like you guys doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are lots of posts on social media branding or categorizing people. However, I will be the bigger person and not get into such childish fights on social media. Btw, why do I even have to go on social media?  Just a few glimpses through a couple of threads on ICF, people are making anti-religious comments.  Admins and moderators are not blind, they can read and they allow what goes on the site. Also why shouldn't I "preach" here?  Like stated earlier, I don't condone religious hatred.  Your other post is also in the quote but doesn't take away your initial hatred in the post.  To be honest, quite shameful for a 'veteran' poster. You're complaining about Hinduphobia and then ironically dishing out the same in your little safe haven here. The irony.   Good for you to backtrack from your initial post full of hatred. If I see something wrong, I WILL "PREACH".

My philosophy is clear

Nirbhau, Nirvair

Which part of my post was 'full of hatred'? If some Sikh doesn't want to participate in idol worship or Hindu rituals that doesn't make it hate, just his/her choice and I won't mind it. Harsh/reactionary but not hate, but no need to hurt sentiments of other posters, for which I took corrective action.

If some Hindu weaponizes annadanam to mock people from other faiths rest assured I will boycott him/her and give that person a piece of my mind instead of getting outraged over reactions or playing victim card. If you want to preach do so to members of your own community as well. 

Ok my last post about this topic. Nothing more to add. Prefer to talk cricket than chit-chat. 

Peace out.

Edited by Gollum

Guys this thread is not going anywhere. Very few people disrespect other religions and majority of Hindus, Sikhs and jains etc are very respecful to each other. All these religions originated from india and we should be thankful for that. Let us share and cherish our common heritage and use this forum to come together rather than sow seeds of mistrust. We all have a lot in common than what seprates us. Peace.

18 hours ago, Gollum said:

The sikhs who disrespect other religions are not Sikhs. There is no defending them. I have no time for sikhs and hindus who disrespect others. by and large the sikh and hindu community in Punjab/Delhi gets along just fine.

Yograj is an illiterate person who said something stupid and has been condemend. He does not represent sikh community. Similarly one can bring video of Hindus who say something bad about other religion but that serves no purpose. Once again there is lot in common so why this hate/

Anyway for disclaimer I am agnostic.

12 minutes ago, Khota said:

Guys this thread is not going anywhere. Very few people disrespect other religions and majority of Hindus, Sikhs and jains etc are very respecful to each other. All these religions originated from india and we should be thankful for that. Let us share and cherish our common heritage and use this forum to come together rather than sow seeds of mistrust. We all have a lot in common than what seprates us. Peace.

This thread is about the position of Hindus in MSM, West, movies, politics, International media. Not about ICFers. 

4 hours ago, Khota said:

What about those who are followers of faith systems that didn't originate in India? The Christians, Jews, Muslims, Zoroastrians? They don't get to be a part of this happy family hug? :(( 

20 hours ago, Gollum said:

Which part of my post was 'full of hatred'? If some Sikh doesn't want to participate in idol worship or Hindu rituals that doesn't make it hate, just his/her choice and I won't mind it. Harsh/reactionary but not hate, but no need to hurt sentiments of other posters, for which I took corrective action.

If some Hindu weaponizes annadanam to mock people from other faiths rest assured I will boycott him/her and give that person a piece of my mind instead of getting outraged over reactions or playing victim card. If you want to preach do so to members of your own community as well. 

Ok my last post about this topic. Nothing more to add. Prefer to talk cricket than chit-chat. 

Peace out.

Apart from the content,your tone and language was apparent when you made it between 'us' and 'them' and sounded like an emotional outburst. You're a better judge of what you felt there. There must have been a reason you deleted it?  No need to justify the original post. Kudos to you. Just move on.

"Preach" was a word you brought up. If I see something on this site, then I'll try to 'preach' 'my' community as well lol.  I don't spend 24/7 on ICF and causally browse once in a while and that post just caught my eye.   I only use social media for mostly professional work and don't see any or much of these childish social media rants and avoid going the rabbit hole of hatred that social media offers. It gets one no where and will eventually make you bitter to a point of no return.  You do you. Anyways onto bigger and better things. Cheers to you

Edited by The Great Punjab

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

What about those who are followers of faith systems that didn't originate in India? The Christians, Jews, Muslims, Zoroastrians? They don't get to be a part of this happy family hug? :(( 

They are 110% Indians. I apologize if my remark is misconstrued. The religions I mentioned originated from Indus valley and that is what I was referring to. Muslims/Jews/Christains/Buddhist who are born and raised in India are a very integral part of India. When Shami is taking a wkt all Indians are proud of his achievement (maybe not his ex-wife). just not muslims. He is looked upon as an Indian. Who is not proud of Dr. Abdul Kalam. Siraj is a success story and ofcourse Nawab of Pataudi. No one has a right to question muslims allegiance towards india and they should not. It would be a sad day if minorities are marginalized in India.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Also that thread was moving towards insult and had to be stopped. This is where mods have to step in.