So where does Rahul fit in the line up if Shaw/Shubman play

I firmly believe he has no place in the main formats. He is not suited to bowling friendly wickets. Technically weak & mentally weak... the 2 qualities required to be successful for an all conditional all  match situation opener.

Edited by rtmohanlal
2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

in 2015 and 2011 WC India played 9 games, this WC too India played 9 games.  So number of games are same or similar.  Regarding SR, guy who had not played a single ODI in last one year suddenly asked to open who was not even in counting for WC squad, unsure of his place, you cant expect him to blast his way.  We also dont know whether he did it intentionally or it was a team plan because of weak middle order, opener had to be more cautious.  

We played 8 games in 2015.

And his attitude is what makes me uncomfortable.

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

How have ppl easily assumed that Dhawan career is over ??? Forget Rahul how does shaw come infront of Dhawan

Rahul hasnt badly in Wc ....so need to drop him. Finally after a tough he seems to be getting better so why not back him. This is where somene like ganguly n dhoni made player.....they didnt drop players when they started to find some confidence. Anyways he ll be dropped as test series comes. One thing with rahul- he needs to be told for sure what his role is - opener or no.4......and then even if dhawan looses his place Rahul wud be number - 4 

Not assuming, just general perspective if we end up trying them in first series in Windies where we know Dhawan is not going to be there because of injury and Kohli is rested, so surely Shubman and Shaw should start. 

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Not assuming, just general perspective if we end up trying them in first series in Windies where we know Dhawan is not going to be there because of injury and Kohli is rested, so surely Shubman and Shaw should start. 

In any case what are we loosing if we play them in WI.  These fellows need exposure on foreign conditions . In india they may make runs . Again what is that you do not know about Dhawan's batting, When needed use him. But we do not know much about these guys , will they make ir or not ? 

Gill is playing as an opener . But is ot the right place for him? Boy has been little inconsistent at international level though not a failure .Could he be a better fit in MO than opening. These are the things we will have to assess quickly.

4 hours ago, Lannister said:

There is no point in continuing with Sharma and Dhawan. They are only good at one format and so far, that's not been enough for India to win ICC tournaments. And also they are old, so let them stick to IPL. It's time to move on. 

spot on .. from that time where we  had Sehwag,Gambhir,SRT,Sourav, Dravid,Dhoni  - 6   'both format batsmen', we had degraded to this. ...only i Virat and he  is some sort of negative influence in building an all format team.

Dhawan should be phased out with in 2 years time &  Rohit in 3.  We have to  keep that template  of Ganguly era  to develop an all conditional all situation batting unit.

Mayank,Shaw,Gill,Iyer,Pant, Anmolpreet,Vahari and a few promising left handed rookies should be  tried in a lot of matches moving forward to find out the perfect combination.

2 hours ago, vijay50 said:

I say play Shaw and Shubman at 4 and 5 at this point.

even Sehwag , Ganguly and Tendu played in middle order in early part of their career.

They can earn their slot  after sometime. First make use of the existing opportunities to do the best.My team for ODIs

Rohit

Shikar

Kohli

Shaw

Shubman Gill

Pant

Pandya

JaDeja/ Bhuvi

Shami

Bumrah

Xyz

Shreyas Iyer should also be in the mix as no.4.

Mayank is too good a player to be discarded as such.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Dhawan's career is not over but he will be 37 by 2023, so, he has max 2 years and we dont want Dhoni like situation again.  We need gill and shaw or some other opener in the mix as well. give them enough games and experience before next WC.

yes i understand that my complain is ppl want to replace him immediately which shudnt happen and knowing Indian cricket it wont even. 

24 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes we shud specially with injuries.....but lets not make assumptions about that they will own the place. M not even pointing ur post .....its the general thing m seeing ppl have declared their 2023 side like now.....which is hilarious and most of them will not even have patience for 2 failures for either of these guys. All M saying lets go easy as it wud a transition which takes time .Taking Rahul example it self - he has gone through a tough year and when he finally showed signs of improvement ppl want to give up on him . These phases will happen with every youngster so this transition is a very delicate phase . 

About shubhman n Shaw....well ideally it shud shubhman n mayank since they are picked 1st in ODi then shaw and shaw is also injured so high chance it wud be Shubhman, mayank first for WI series

2 hours ago, vijay50 said:

I say play Shaw and Shubman at 4 and 5 at this point.

even Sehwag , Ganguly and Tendu played in middle order in early part of their career.

They can earn their slot  after sometime. First make use of the existing opportunities to do the best.My team for ODIs

Rohit

Shikar

Kohli

Shaw

Shubman Gill

Pant

Pandya

JaDeja/ Bhuvi

Shami

Bumrah

Xyz

Shreyas Iyer should also be in the mix as no.4.

Dont make them bat so out of their position........Rahul had a far evolved game then shaw to bat at 4. Gill wud be wasted at 5 . 

And who is ur 6th bowler in that lineup .....u cant go in with only 5 bowlers 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
12 hours ago, Cricketics said:

If we have Shaw open with Rohit and Kohli is at 3 and Shubman at 4c, are we then planning to kick Rahul out?

Whats your verdict on Rahul?

Would you like for him to be given a much longer run at 4 or 5 or just kept as reserve and wait for his chance? 

Try KLR at 5 where the player needs to either consolidate or hit. Besides, I don't think Shaw can be a good ODI player. He is too rash. Reminds me of Pant in that in this respect - both can be better Test players. I see Mayank/Gaekwad partnering Hitman.

We badly need a proper No. 5. This, to me, is our biggest hole even more than No. 4 or No.6

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Dont make them bat so out of their position........Rahul had a far evolved game then shaw to bat at 4. Gill wud be wasted at 5 . 

And who is ur 6th bowler in that lineup .....u cant go in with only 5 bowlers 

Gill and Rohit can also practice their off spin and Kohl his medium

pace in List A to be match ready.

Sehwag, tendu, Ganguly, Yuvraj and Raina used to  bowl . Only Gambhir and Dravid not used to bowl before.

2 minutes ago, vijay50 said:

Sehwag, tendu, Ganguly, Yuvraj and Raina used to  bowl . Only Gambhir and Dravid not used to bowl before.

these guys were better skilled bowlers + in modern day cricket part timer dont work becoz of 4 fielder rule that is why yuvraj wasnt used post 2011 Wc with bowling in Odi but yet he was used for in t20.....

Part timer wud only work if they have something diff like jadhav. All of them will be taken for cleaner with such rules and the ball which doesnt even get old. Rohit has a shoulder issue he nyways wnt bowl. So 6th bowler is must....batsman who can be relied for more then 5 overs

14 minutes ago, vijay50 said:

they will get a big smashing in current ODI rules and batting template. their bowling ability is not even 10% of Raina and perhaps 1% of Yuvi/SRT.

12 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

Dhawan should be phased out with in 2 years time &  Rohit in 3.  We have to  keep that template  of Ganguly era  to develop an all conditional all situation batting unit.

Again, why do we need to wait for 2-3 years to remove these players. ODIs is all about preparing for World tournaments. We will just make the same mistake if we retain these senior players. 

4 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Again, why do we need to wait for 2-3 years to remove these players. ODIs is all about preparing for World tournaments. We will just make the same mistake if we retain these senior players. 

You can't all experienced players together. They need to be phased out in a proper manner in next 2 years. Then you have 2 years to prepare.