No love for Mayank Agarwal's batting?

SK_IH

42 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

I'm guessing Mayank might have boosted his average from mid 30s to 50s in last two years or after rahane was discarded.. 

Mayank should prove to TM that he can do well at 4,5 

Though the cumulative  record is not available , to boost avg: from mid 30s to 50s in just 2 years is a matter  that  is very  hard to believe.What ever it be, I still believe he deserves his chances with that convincingly superior  LIST A average   to almost  all current TOP batsmen in the team. Another positive  factor is his 6 hitting ability. He has played only 12 inns in tests  but has hit 21 6s. When thinking  that  some one like Kohli has till now managed to hit only 22 6s in 140 inns do we realize  as to how productive Mayank can be once he settles  down at the crease irrespective of formats.

Dhawan is almost 34. By the time the next world cup arrives he would be closing 38. So it is worth providing a chance to Mayank  by every  yard stick.

I think phasing out Rohit & Dhawan by providing chances to Mayank / another leftie(Pant may be) is the most productive way moving forward.

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

Though the cumulative  record is not available , to boost avg: from mid 30s to 50s in just 2 years is a matter  that  is very  hard to believe.What ever it be, I still believe he deserves his chances with that convincingly superior  LIST A average   to almost  all current TOP batsmen in the team. Another positive  factor is his 6 hitting ability. He has played only 12 inns in tests  but has hit 21 6s. When thinking  that  some one like Kohli has till now managed to hit only 22 6s in 140 inns do we realize  as to how productive Mayank can be once he settles  down at the crease irrespective of formats.

Dhawan is almost 34. By the time the next world cup arrives he would be closing 38. So it is worth providing a chance to Mayank  by every  yard stick.

I think phasing out Rohit & Dhawan by providing chances to Mayank / another leftie(Pant may be) is the most productive way moving forward.

Increasing average with less nbr or games is possible.  Can't do that once you reach 200 or more matches. 

His six hitting ability should help him in handling spinners effectively like Iyer is doing now.

I believe he is best suited for Test cricket. His game against short pitched bowling is not upto the standard demanded by the shorter formats. He can cover this weakness to an extent in test cricket since run rate isn't an issue. 

I believe we have a superior option in Gill for the #4 / #5 spot if Iyer does not click. 

On 11/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, Cricspin said:

Mayank is the highest run scorer for India in 2019. I hope India does not disturb him at the top..  If anything Rohit can move if and when Prithvi Shaw comes back.

People pick on Rahane.. but he is doing better than Kohli and Pujara currently.. Heck Jadeja is rocking it with the Bat.

Kohli has his average saved with that big 250 not out.

India_Batting_Tests_2019.JPG

Kohli and Pujara do not need to be judged on a match to match basis.Rahane was  horrible for past 18 months thats why spotlight was on him.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:31 PM, nevada said:

There is talk about Rohit being rested due to his extra workload. Mayank might get his chance in ODIs soon. 

hope so. very few batsmen in either List A or ODIs have that rare combo of 50+ avg and 100+ SR. peak-level Kedar Jadhav had it and Mayank does. in the int'l scene, ABDV is the only one.

He has been an opener all his life. Scored 1000 runs in FC cricket in a month a few years back as an opener, scored tons of runs for India A everywhere as an opener. Has simply hit a rough patch. Will be a good test of his mental toughness playing Southee and Boult in swinging seaming conditions. I would back him to do well.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

More i see him, i think he is more a middle order bat than opener. Credit to him he has done well. May be he wasn't challenged enough in the domestic. He is edging far too many balls through slip cordon for an opener. He loves to take on spinners once he is in. He looks at ease one the shine is gone. 

he is very good but it seems his recent form is a bit of a worry..he has edged a few recently. he has a solid defence and i back him.

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

More i see him, i think he is more a middle order bat than opener. Credit to him he has done well. May be he wasn't challenged enough in the domestic. He is edging far too many balls through slip cordon for an opener. He loves to take on spinners once he is in. He looks at ease one the shine is gone. 

Exactly...but such leeway and flexibility is only offered to seniors. He is going to get dumped for good if he can't find out a way to play the outswing.