From conceding six sixes to picking 500 test wickets!

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Swann and Prior gave so much extra firepower to that English side. 2005 Eng pace bowling was good but 2011 had two outstanding HTBs in Andu/Broad at the peak of their powers. Scary English side, also how good was that RSA side that tamed Eng next year in their backyard, that should have been a 5 test I sseries. 

I said this in an other thread. Dropping Pietersen bite them in the ass for ecb. Promptly went onto lose 2-0. Their #1 run exactly for a year. August 2011-August 2012

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Agree. 

We should have never lost that first test in Melbourne (which set the tone for Aussies for the whole series and they never looked back) . I still remember we were like 220/2 or something in reply to Australia's first innings total of 330+ with SRT and Dravid well set for big daddy hundreds. Aussie attack was very very average (Hilfenhaus, Rookie Patinson, Out of form siddle and a harmless offspinner Lyon), but we collapsed to 280.  :facepalm:

And even after that we had them on the ropes at 160/8 in the second innings but let them score 240 plus and that was that. 

That humiliating 8-0 could easily have atleast been 6-2 if we hadn't squandered clear match winning positions at Trent Bridge and MCG. 

Our bowling as always was pathetic,Umesh was bowling pies at pace,Ishant never looked threatening, we had them reeling at 27/4 in 2nd innings but we let washed out Ponting and Hussey dig in and weave a decent partnership ,that is where our current attack is relentless,Bumrah Ishant open with discipline and fire well backed up by dangerous Shami who when given a sniff runs through batting orders ,there we had Umesh(nothing to say) our Spinners had always felt Aussies pitches as their Achilles heels

5 hours ago, MechEng said:

The timing of it was so bad. I was super confident that we will win 2-1 at least after the way our team handled Steyn in SA who was bowling like Malcolm Marshall at his prime. I was so confident that I told few English fans back then that Sreesanth will be as good as Anderson in English conditions. 

I think it was after that series ICFers started hating on Dhoni.

That English team was very good, even better than Ashes 2005 side.

That precise moment when he started bowling, calling back a pregnant RP Singh, benching Sreeshanth for the first test when the last time he played a series he almost won it for us against an ATG SA side etc. 

May be the Sreeshanth thing can get a benefit of doubt as PK did fine with his dibbly dobbly swing bowling and Sreeshanth was poor in the WC.

Broad is an interesting character. He got smashed by McCullum in his final year of White ball cricket and that thrashing looked similar to what UV did. His impact, at times, has far exceeded Anderson but he hasnt show the requisite consistency match after match that clouderson has shown over the years. While both were trash in the beginning of their careers, if you consider Jimmy's  test career from June 2010 and Barbies from the Indian tour 2011, their records are fairly impressive on the whole . Very heavily driven by their home averages but have been decent away too.

15 hours ago, MechEng said:

The timing of it was so bad. I was super confident that we will win 2-1 at least after the way our team handled Steyn in SA who was bowling like Malcolm Marshall at his prime. I was so confident that I told few English fans back then that Sreesanth will be as good as Anderson in English conditions. 

I think it was after that series ICFers started hating on Dhoni.

That English team was very good, even better than Ashes 2005 side.

Sreesanth wasn't a swing bowler so couldn't be like Anderson.

14 hours ago, maniac said:

That precise moment when he started bowling, calling back a pregnant RP Singh, benching Sreeshanth for the first test when the last time he played a series he almost won it for us against an ATG SA side etc. 

May be the Sreeshanth thing can get a benefit of doubt as PK did fine with his dibbly dobbly swing bowling and Sreeshanth was poor in the WC.

Not to forget when Ishant was in red hot form using Lord's slope to bowl huge inswingers and got 4 quick wickets, Dhoni brings Raina for a spell by replacing Ishant. I used be a huge Dhoni bhakt and thought this must be a smart move like Joginder Sharma against Pakistan in T20 finals, but it brought England back in the game :facepalm:

18 hours ago, Gollum said:

Swann and Prior gave so much extra firepower to that English side. 2005 Eng pace bowling was good but 2011 had two outstanding HTBs in Andu/Broad at the peak of their powers. Scary English side, also how good was that RSA side that tamed Eng next year in their backyard, that should have been a 5 test series. 

They deliberately prepared slow turning pitches to neutralize Steyn and give advantage to Swann. Steyn still managed to  run through English batting in 1st test. 

13 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Broad is an interesting character. He got smashed by McCullum in his final year of White ball cricket and that thrashing looked similar to what UV did. His impact, at times, has far exceeded Anderson but he hasnt show the requisite consistency match after match that clouderson has shown over the years. While both were trash in the beginning of their careers, if you consider Jimmy's  test career from June 2010 and Barbies from the Indian tour 2011, their records are fairly impressive on the whole . Very heavily driven by their home averages but have been decent away too.

Anderson wasn't very good for the first 5 years of his career, if i'm not wrong. Only from NZ 2008 he started to be better. Many teams would have dropped anderson for the stats of his first 5 years.

Even in Ashes 2009, to my knowledge broad and flintoff had much higher performances bowling wise. Need to check again though.

Edited by Stan AF