Extended highlights- Dhoni 's batting rare footage of India -A tour against pakistan

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

He was a good cricketer. If there was no Dhoni or DK he would have been our first choice keeper bat in LOIs and Saha for tests. Stop ridiculing someone just because they didn’t get enough chances to prove their worth.

Naman had talent with bat but that many has even parthiv n DK did ....he had a few peak Domestic season but thats it 

Beyond that it was never consistent and he didnt make any impact in IPL.....if u aint even doing that then international cricket is a diff ball game 

Also chances are earned not given. 

DK n parthiv to their credit have piled runs in domestic year after year  every format, with naman it was just a phase . They both have been good in IPL specially DK. Even uthappa started keeping and he cud also bat in lower middle order

Naman also was mostly a top order batsman where there was never a vacancy 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

this is getting better n better .....did selectors knew back then we badly needed a keeper batsman at that time even if his keeping wasnt upto the mark coz we were making dravid keep 

It was pretty much it. Dravid I think had issues keeping in ODIs and must have told that to the captain & selectors to move on from that stopgap arrangement. Secondly, Parthiv Patel was living on borrowed time in tests and the disastrous home series sealed it for him and DK got in for the tests.

In the Challenger trophy that followed this Nairobi A series once again brought Dhoni's name in the news and particularly got Ganguly's attention when he scored a 100 which included few sixes which cleared Wankhede. And I think that proved as a catalyst for Dhoni leapfrogging DK for the ODI set up in late 2004 against Bangladesh.

57 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Naman "I'm a top order batsman" Ojha is a name not heard in a while.  

Pretty unlucky guy I thought. One guy whose selection find unable to fathom was Parthiv Patel, I thought that guy had nothing going right for him when he made his debut and subsequently played for 2 years. 

8 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Pretty unlucky guy I thought. One guy whose selection find unable to fathom was Parthiv Patel, I thought that guy had nothing going right for him when he made his debut and subsequently played for 2 years. 

Really? The guy was a legit top order bat who had kept wickets all through his career.  Not a Gilchrist style 'keepr bat, more like a Stewart or Sangakarra.  Of course, his shoddy glove-work meant that in spite of being the incumbent he opened the door for Dhoni who blasted right through.  

There's a reason the guy has won a Ranji trophy as captain, and is an IPL multi-millionaire.  He can legit bat.  

Shyte, absolute shyte wicket keeper though.  I will never forgive him for costing India a chance at winning that 2003 Border-Gavaskar test series outright instead of 'retaining' it.

17 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

It was pretty much it. Dravid I think had issues keeping in ODIs and must have told that to the captain & selectors to move on from that stopgap arrangement. Secondly, Parthiv Patel was living on borrowed time in tests and the disastrous home series sealed it for him and DK got in for the tests.

Yes dravid towards the end of ganguly tenure told him that he isnt enjoying it anymore 

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Really? The guy was a legit top order bat who had kept wickets all through his career.  Not a Gilchrist style 'keepr bat, more like a Stewart or Sangakarra.  Of course, his shoddy glove-work meant that in spite of being the incumbent he opened the door for Dhoni who blasted right through.  

There's a reason the guy has won a Ranji trophy as captain, and is an IPL multi-millionaire.  He can legit bat.  

Shyte, absolute shyte wicket keeper though.  I will never forgive him for costing India a chance at winning that 2003 Border-Gavaskar test series outright instead of 'retaining' it.

Parthiv definitely might have improved on his batting later on, however he was no precocious talent to play for India in 2002 and then play continuously for 2 years. He was obviously a mediocre keeper even when he started and his batting was not earth shattering enough to guarantee him a test spot for India as a wk batsman.

Indian cricket was poor back then vis-a-vis wicket keepers, however it's hard imagine that the situation was so bleak that a kid had to wicket keep for India. His' selection will always remain a mystery to me.

12 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

and his batting was not earth shattering enough to guarantee him a test spot for India as a wk batsman.

I'm finding it weird defending Party Patel, a guy I'm no fan of - but lets be fair - very early on, he showed what he could do with the bat - played a test-match saving innings in England, and then opened the batting against Pakistan, in Pakistan.  I mean, compared to the Ajay Ratras and others, he was undoubtedly a stud prospect.  And before the emergence of Karthik and Dhoni as viable alternatives, the selectors reasoned that even though Patel was a bit raw, he was good enough to keep learning 'on the job' as opposed to Ranji cricket, especially since that would mean going with batting downgrades the likes of Ratra etc.

Edited by sandeep
2 hours ago, maniac said:

He was a good cricketer. If there was no Dhoni or DK he would have been our first choice keeper bat in LOIs and Saha for tests. Stop ridiculing someone just because they didn’t get enough chances to prove their worth.

Agreed Naman was good but Dhoni and DK were simply better. DK made it half and half only because of IPL and few international chances else he would have been an other naman ojha. India were just blessed with keeper bats at this timeline, throwing in pappu patel into the mix no matter his keeping level. Not sure if this will be the case always.

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Agreed DK looked Technically sound n orthodox n agile in terms of keeping

there was an innings with Sachin i cant remember if it was a test. He ( DK) looked like the next big thing. I empathize with selectors on this one, first look at Dhoni with his hoiks and ungainly shots interspread with brutal murder of deliveries over the fence some might have thought he was a hack, who the * would have known he would do 10k+ runs over 50 for *s sake, and win two world cups lol-- ridiculous no way to know that.

21 minutes ago, Vilander said:

there was an innings with Sachin i cant remember if it was a test. He ( DK) looked like the next big thing. I empathize with selectors on this one, first look at Dhoni with his hoiks and ungainly shots interspread with brutal murder of deliveries over the fence some might have thought he was a hack, who the * would have known he would do 10k+ runs over 50 for *s sake, and win two world cups lol-- ridiculous no way to know that.

U can empathize in test but in ODI a young dhoni was also a perfect package, apart from keeper batsman he was a lower middler order power hitter that we seriously lacked. DK finishing skill is recent 

19 minutes ago, Vilander said:

misbah is standing behind him this is gold man.

even kamran akmal is the keeper 

15 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

This is where dhoni n gambhir 1st partnership happened. I think their partnership was very underrated , the way they use to build score in middle overs by brilliant strike rotation helped teams so many times. 

Gambhir sehwag

Gambhir kohli

Gambhir dhoni

Dhoni kohli

Dhoni raina

A huge Key aspect of their partnership was strike rotation. Saw raina interview other day how he use to read dhoni eyes n pick wether he is aiming for single or double. Gambhir n sehwag had one the best understanding while running. 

One of the biggest problem with this team has been that in last few years. Kohli was the alone one and somewhat dhoni. 

Rayudu n rahane were poor at this , yuvraj post his return was worse then those 2 which is why no.4 problem continued. 

True.

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i hope they release the full one, i still remeber pakistan had this bald fast bowler who was taken to cleaners by dhoni 

Rana naved ul hassan. He was also famous for that Afridi ball biting incident (his balls I mean, he was the bowler whose ball was tampered, I mean you know). I think last time I saw him he had a mullet :rock:

29 minutes ago, maniac said:

Rana naved ul hassan. He was also famous for that Afridi ball biting incident (his balls I mean, he was the bowler whose ball was tampered, I mean you know). I think last time I saw him he had a mullet :rock:

it wasnt rana, Rana still had some hair....wo wala pura takla tha shakaal jaisa

Rana at that time was playing for Main pakistan team 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
30 minutes ago, maniac said:

found him on cricinfo

https://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/40926.html

ye tha 

2067_6193824_updates.jpg

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
10 hours ago, Vilander said:

Agreed Naman was good but Dhoni and DK were simply better. DK made it half and half only because of IPL and few international chances else he would have been an other naman ojha. India were just blessed with keeper bats at this timeline, throwing in pappu patel into the mix no matter his keeping level. Not sure if this will be the case always.

Even currently if you look at the domestic cricket Pant, Kishan, Bharat, Anuj Rawat another one from Delhi, Dhruv jurel from UP. All very good wk/bats.