Extended highlights- Dhoni 's batting rare footage of India -A tour against pakistan

This is where dhoni n gambhir 1st partnership happened. I think their partnership was very underrated , the way they use to build score in middle overs by brilliant strike rotation helped teams so many times. 

Gambhir sehwag

Gambhir kohli

Gambhir dhoni

Dhoni kohli

Dhoni raina

A huge Key aspect of their partnership was strike rotation. Saw raina interview other day how he use to read dhoni eyes n pick wether he is aiming for single or double. Gambhir n sehwag had one the best understanding while running. 

One of the biggest problem with this team has been that in last few years. Kohli was the alone one and somewhat dhoni. 

Rayudu n rahane were poor at this , yuvraj post his return was worse then those 2 which is why no.4 problem continued. 

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

50(63) clearly shows he is not a low order hitter but a guy  who needs time before he can go crazy a la Rohit Sharma or even Gayle. Closer to Gayle in terms of how he picks his target to get those big overs.

Iirc he took special liking towards padosi bowlers had a good tournament,i think he had a century also against pak A in this series

Edited by Suhaan

Dhoni should have been our permanent  no.4 all along. There is no rule that you have to bat at 6 to finish games. He should have batted 3 but due to Kohli, I would have been  ok with him at 4, he batted like a top order bat at 6 which were compensated by Raina and Yuvraj or in recent  times other guys who can go from ball 1 may be not at a Raina-Yuvi level like Pandya,DK or Jadhav.

This isn’t a dig. Dhoni would  have been a top

order bat in the top 3-4. He was never a great low order hitter no matter what stats people shove in our faces. 

in the top order Dhoni was the leader, in the lower order he was at best a supporting act who got more hype than the leads. That’s my honest opinion and this video proves it.

36 minutes ago, maniac said:

Dhoni should have been our permanent  no.4 all along. There is no rule that you have to bat at 6 to finish games. He should have batted 3 but due to Kohli, I would have been  ok with him at 4, he batted like a top order bat at 6 which were compensated by Raina and Yuvraj or in recent  times other guys who can go from ball 1 may be not at a Raina-Yuvi level like Pandya,DK or Jadhav.

This isn’t a dig. Dhoni would  have been a top

order bat in the top 3-4. He was never a great low order hitter no matter what stats people shove in our faces. 

in the top order Dhoni was the leader, in the lower order he was at best a supporting act who got more hype than the leads. That’s my honest opinion and this video proves it.

Many reasons

• There was kohli who owned 3 
  • Then there was yuvi who hits his peak post 2006 and at his peak he was as good as any in ODI 
  • He might have struggled a bit overseas a lil high 
  • Dravid was once asked why do they keep batting dhoni at 5-7, he said ull find many options that can bat in top but very few in lower middle order that to who can be successful . Even yuvi became successful once he was pushed to 4, while at 6 he was struggling to keep his place. This was the main reason , even now we have so many options who can bat at top but middle quality isnt same which is why its important rahul continous there even though he capable to bat above. Same goes for Pandya who deserves a promotion now but then who will bat at 7 .

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Many reasons

• There was kohli who owned 3 
  • Then there was yuvi who hits his peak post 2006 and at his peak he was as good as any in ODI 
  • He might have struggled a bit overseas a lil high 
  • Dravid was once asked why do they keep batting dhoni at 5-7, he said ull find many options that can bat in top but very few in lower middle order that to who can be successful . Even yuvi became successful once he was pushed to 4, while at 6 he was struggling to keep his place. This was the main reason , even now we have so many options who can bat at top but middle quality isnt same which is why its important rahul continous there even though he capable to bat above. Same goes for Pandya who deserves a promotion now but then who will bat at 7 .

I know the reasons for it. However player should play in his best spot. I didn’t agree with Kohli moving to 4 either.

The point is Dhoni would have been better playing in the top 4 than being someone who plays with 10-15 overs to go.

As you know his success is getting us over the line in 250-300+ chases which most top order bats do which requires building and pacing an innings but was a failure when it came to 330-350 + scores. I am sure he was the only available options later on once Yuvi Raina were done but he was not suited there.

Edited by maniac
8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Didnt knew about the DK leaving for national duties story 

I remember Sandeep patil use to rate Dk very very highly n he ll end as legend. Stories those Days use to float around that he didnt rate Dhoni highly and was never in favour of him. 

I can see why the selectors thought DK was special. Just like Maahi maar raha hai, Ashwin once said that people would flock to stadiums to watch DK bat at a junior or at other levels because he was that talented. Can not deny DK’s talent. It’s a different matter he couldn’t cash it in at an international level.Also as a keeper he was more acrobatic than Dhoni. Only later we found out that he had concentration issues and Dhoni is a much safer bet.

However yes it is stupid how he couldn’t see Dhoni was a special player. Speaks volumes of our dumb and biased selectors.

Edited by maniac
9 minutes ago, maniac said:

I can see why the selectors thought DK was special. Just like Maahi maar raha hai, Ashwin once said that people would flock to stadiums to watch DK bat at a junior or at other levels because he was that talented. Can not deny DK’s talent. It’s a different matter he couldn’t cash it in at an international level.Also as a keeper he was more acrobatic than Dhoni. Only later we found out that he had concentration issues and Dhoni is a much safer bet.

However yes it is stupid how he couldn’t see Dhoni was a special player. Speaks volumes of our dumb and biased selectors.

Agreed DK looked Technically sound n orthodox n agile in terms of keeping

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

World cricket was changing at that point of time and Sandip patil and others had long left the game and had no clue anymore,this could be seen now as well people like Ganguly talked about Pujara's role in our loi setup

I don't understand what they smoke generally to make up their mind to utter sh!t like this

35 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Didnt knew about the DK leaving for national duties story 

I remember Sandeep patil use to rate Dk very very highly n he ll end as legend. Stories those Days use to float around that he didnt rate Dhoni highly and was never in favour of him. 

Infact Dhoni was the third choice and Naman Ojha was to be preferred choice for this tour after DK left. Naman Ojha got injured and the rest is history

23 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Infact Dhoni was the third choice and Naman Ojha was to be preferred choice for this tour after DK left. Naman Ojha got injured and the rest is history

this is getting better n better .....did selectors knew back then we badly needed a keeper batsman at that time even if his keeping wasnt upto the mark coz we were making dravid keep 

Just now, sandeep said:

Naman "I'm a top order batsman" Ojha is a name not heard in a while.  

He was a good cricketer. If there was no Dhoni or DK he would have been our first choice keeper bat in LOIs and Saha for tests. Stop ridiculing someone just because they didn’t get enough chances to prove their worth.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

He was a good cricketer. If there was no Dhoni or DK he would have been our first choice keeper bat in LOIs and Saha for tests. Stop ridiculing someone just because they didn’t get enough chances to prove their worth.

He was ok, barely int'l class.  My problem is with his attitude, which he possessed disproportionate to his performances.  

But facts don't matter - I said something subjective, so that means probability of you taking the opposite view is somewhere north of 80%.  Carry on baba.