After rayudu , shubhman gill is the best white ball Indian batsman against spin.

Ankit_sharma03

Rayudu was the best player i saw against spin in white ball for us . 

Pandya is destructive but rashid has had measure of him

Iyer looses his bat shape when spinners bowl at 90kmph + which laxman pointed out in a pre show and the minute he came in rashid started bowling.

Gill looks the best against spin in current setup, i hve never seen someone play rashid with so much ease. 

With such skill he is a very good option for 4, he can open also but we have many many options for that and he also takes time like rohit n kohli so lets have a diff kind of batsman at opening who can start well

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Agree with both statements. Gill can handle pace and bounce as well, might initially struggle against short pitch but which Indian batsmen doesn’t? Even Ganguly and Kohli had issues they overcame.

Short ball also doesnt look a problem, the only problem i see is casualness that u associate with elegant players like rohit, gower but thats useless in LOI.

14 minutes ago, maniac said:

Agree with both statements. Gill can handle pace and bounce as well, might initially struggle against short pitch but which Indian batsmen doesn’t? Even Ganguly and Kohli had issues they overcame.

That short ball problem i see more with mayank, iyer , rana ....shaw n gill look good against it

3 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

That short ball problem i see more with mayank, iyer , rana ....shaw n gill look good against it

Mayank did well in Australia and yes he has a short ball problem. 

Shaw, jury is out but yes looks like he has a great back foot game.

Gill will still do well because he has the acumen to play % cricket like Mayank but his stance and lack of experience on such pitches will initially be a problem against Starc/Cummins/Archer/Rabada  etc.

He will not be tonking them for 6’s like a young Sachin/Rohit or even Sehwag.

Anyway this is all hypothetical, first Lord Rahane needs to make way for him in tests

Edited by maniac

37 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Gill lacks x-factor at this point. He hardly tried to hit Rashid . Playing spin well matters in T20 when you are trying to score of him and not just defend or taking singles. Pandya, Iyer try to dominate spinners. 

When it comes to ODI his batting pace is correct

Coming to t20 if its him vs iyer - iyer is a slow starter and gill seems to be a far better quality batsman. Iyer looses is shape while attacking spinners who bowl 90k+

Iyer domination comes after he waste many balls which doesnt help when rohit, kohli and Rahul (in middle over) already doing that 

Iyer and pandya havent been even successful against rashid, anyways most teams try to play him out. I think only pant took him apart among current indian batsman in IPL or a rayudu in one game 2 yrs ago in Hyderabad 

Gill number in middle overs is quite which is where our top batsman fail

Add rahul also whose s/r dips in middle over which is iyer slow starts dont help.

Gill is just at start of his career this will get even better within 2-3 years as his attacking game will improve even more

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Short ball also doesnt look a problem, the only problem i see is casualness that u associate with elegant players like rohit, gower but thats useless in LOI.

I think we also need tk consider the age. These guys are just 21. The casualness is common at this age, as long as it does not become a permanent trait, should not be a concern.

12 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Rayudu was the best player i saw against spin in white ball for us . 

Pandya is destructive but rashid has had measure of him

Iyer looses his bat shape when spinners bowl at 90kmph + which laxman pointed out in a pre show and the minute he came in rashid started bowling.

Gill looks the best against spin in current setup, i hve never seen someone play rashid with so much ease. 

With such skill he is a very good option for 4, he can open also but we have many many options for that and he also takes time like rohit n kohli so lets have a diff kind of batsman at opening who can start well

There was this on-field discussion between Gill and Rashid where the former was explaining how he is able to read his wrist postion very well. Rashid was giving a dry smaile with disbelief as if saying "Man you have got me there"

Gill looks great vs spin.  He will further develop so he might turn out to be our best hitter of spin since sehwag.  At the moment Mayank takes the cake.  In Test cricket so far no spinner including Lyon seem to trouble him.  In IPl he is in beast mode.  Chahal did get him but looked like one off. 

15 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

Rayadu best player of spin in India is a bit OTT and funny tbh.

In white he was a bloody goof player of spin in recent years best

Just becoz he is a bad player of pace doesnt mean he plays spin bad. 

Another guy was manoj tiwary , they both played spin in old school style

Here is a good article on Gill's batting. 

https://www.cricviz.com/the-timing-of-shubman-gill

The key stats from the article, for anyone who doesn't want to read it fully.   

Gill has the best timing and false shot percent of any player who has scored 500+ runs

r3bbF7IGPF8tPJ9oZTFwmcui8lwJW3-Qi2XVXO6BHFf-Joj0ISZp3z0uvWVCXYJmZHy3ZzTqJzj6N40Re5a5erUzfxueyoZjcRfHHSjqeuFlgIf9T-1DMeyImbgKE3BvRasBkSbF

E6ceygGdijtoMevzCM9siS_QqfipznRycc9zitcmiffsjRppDWno4MV6U3Sdu-aJvIOoK0f4YDeSjh3znkriGAdQVJ4tSh04AKInx4Ylc2pF4gkOMHlYTVVs10tH_X6URquzY1yT

Gill seems to have an issue playing pace so far in his career

shubman-fs.png

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

is it dismissal issue or s/r issue ?  havent seen any apparent weakness

he opens so he ll be mostly dismissed by pace

They are implying that is a strike rate issue. He seems to struggle with fielders in around him, which is why he scores very slowly in PP.  He maybe needs to develop his strokes vs pace. When he plays for India he should start in the MO. 

Yet it does reflect that Gill is just starting out, and will do well to sustain this level going forward without improving in other areas of his game. If there’s one aspect of his batting he needs to improve, right now, it’s his work in those early overs. He scores at just 6.7rpo in IPL Powerplays, a figure which will likely increase as he gets used to this level, but also one which the very best are comfortable pushing up to 8-9rpo. His much discussed record against spin is extremely impressive (averaging 82. scoring at 8.3rpo), but the counterweight is his slightly more tepid record against pace (averaging 31.14, scoring at 7.2rpo). You would imagine that improvement against pace will lead to improvement in the Powerplay more generally. These are not severe obstacles for a player of his undoubted ability.