Is Lata Mangeshkar really the best ever Indian female singer for you?

Cricketics

@Mariyam are you as well versed with the nuances of music as you are with dance? Should have asked this in your interview, you did mention fleetingly that you were exposed to Carnatic music at an early age. Anyway your thoughts on the topic?

Edited by Gollum

Shreya Ghoshal!! Man I can listen to her day in day out. I went to 5 of her live concerts and she is such a beautiful soul. If there is one person I envy in the world, it’s her husband. 

Can anyone sing this song better than her this in world. I have probably listened the below cover at least thousand of times whenever I am struggling to sleep. It calms me down. I can’t even count how many nights I have slept listening to this cover on loop. 

Edited by rahulrulezz

43 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Mariyam are you as well versed with the nuances of music as you are with dance? Should have asked this in your interview, you did mention fleetingly that you were exposed to Carnatic music at an early age. Anyway your thoughts on the topic?

Not any kind of an authority on music/vocals. @coffee_rules @randomGuy @dial_100 would be much better judges.

At the offset, let me mention that I don't like ranking singers. Greatest or second greatest etc. They are artists. Lot easier to rank songs using some subjective criteria.

Lataji is definitely a once in a generation millennium type of a singer. My grandparents loved her songs, my parents loved her songs and as I have I while growing up.

Her repertoire consists songs of almost every genre conceivable.

Out and out romantic

Tragic romantic

Waiting for the significant other

Introspective

Peppy

Patriotic

Don't think anyone will even close to equalling her longevity. Or her variety.

Most of Lataji's songs were all sung in one take. No current singer, probably apart from Sonu Nigam even attempt it. Now they sing them in parts and join them using a software program. Lataji (and her sister Asha ji) however refused this and still insist on singing the entire song.

If I were to make a list of my favourite 100 songs. Probably 40-50 of them would be sung by Lata ji.

PS: And all of this is just about her Hindi songs. She has been singing Marathi numbers since she was a kid. And some of those songs are considered classics and her best. I don't listen to that music (so all of this is hearsay), but there are many including those who are students of classical music who use her songs and voice modulation from those days for scholastic purposes.

Edited by Mariyam

3 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

Shreya Ghoshal!! Man I can listen to her day in day out. I went to 5 of her live concerts and she is such a beautiful soul. If there is one person I envy in the world, it’s her husband. 

Can anyone sing this song better than her this in world. I have probably listened the below cover at least thousand of times whenever I am struggling to sleep. It calms me down. I can’t even count how many nights I have slept listening to this cover on loop. 

Aryananda Babu who won saregamapa kids few days back is a singer in Shreya Ghoshal mould. Maybe check her out too.

Aryananda singing... 175k likes

on topic, Lata ji is class apart and best ever I think...even asha bhosle is extremely talented....in her last few years I disliked lata singing in ddlj etc. but that's a small matter compared to the wonderful and marvelous songs she had already sung.

Edited by randomGuy

Key words in OP are "the best ... for you." 

Unless you are an expert in deep technical aspects in the performing arts, it is impossible to define and assess specific objective criteria for what constitutes "best."  So, the question really becomes, "who is your favorite female playback singer?" 

For me, it is Asha Bhosle.  I have a preference for fast-paced, percussion-laden, rhythmic numbers rather than the mellifluous ones, and Asha Tai seems to have more of that genre.  I catch a lot of flak from self-anointed experts in my friends circle, but I love songs like:

(1) Jangal mein bole koyal (my all-time favorite song)

(2) Khallas (Company)

From older movies:

(1) Aaja Aaja

(2) Yeh Ladka Hai Allah

(3) Duniya Mein Logon Ko

In 2007 (she was ~74 yo then), she came to our area and absolutely rocked it.  Am not sure Lataji has that kind of dynamism in her.  

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Aryananda Babu who won saregamapa kids few days back is a singer in Shreya Ghoshal mould. Maybe check her out too.

Aryananda singing... 175k likes

on topic, Lata ji is class apart and best ever I think...even asha bhosle is extremely talented....in her last few years I disliked lata singing in ddlj etc. but that's a small matter compared to the wonderful and marvelous songs she had already sung.

Wow just wow! Beautifully sung, and dare I say better than the original one. 

Ultimately it is a personal choice like cuisine, you can’t generalize likeness or not liking to a certain aspect like shrill, for some it is the thinness of the voice, least number of frequency range used by the voice and which gives the harmony (sur), scale (pitch) and great pleasure in listening. The freq range of the voice is a god given talent, one can only maintain that, changes over age as well. Asha’s voice matured more over age and it became superb, she is one I’d say beat Lata as well over the years. All IMO.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Ultimately it is a personal choice like cuisine, you can’t generalize likeness or not liking to a certain aspect like shrill, for some it is the thinness of the voice, least number of frequency range used by the voice and which gives the harmony (sur), scale (pitch) and great pleasure in listening. The freq range of the voice is a god given talent, one can only maintain that, changes over age as well. Asha’s voice matured more over age and it became superb, she is one I’d say beat Lata as well over the years. All IMO.

Right, for ex. for me Kumar Sanu trumps Kishore, Rafi, Udit Narayan etc. due to his voice, just its natural characteristics...but some say it is nasal and they don't like much. So it is personal choice.

Edited by randomGuy

I am only thankful to Lata, Asha, Mukesh, Rafi & Kishore for making Bollywood what it is. They provided the films with mojo.  For e.g. the lead actor could be Dev Anand, Rajesh Khanna or Amitabh, but what enhanced their qualities as lead actors were these legendary playback singers. Even a newcomer lip singing the voice of Rafi/Kishore/Mukesh gained more credibility as the lead actor. Many times, the films were successful because of their songs. 

Even in 90s, an album's USP was judged by whether it had songs by Lata and/or Asha. 

Edited by zen

Pure version in Adaana. 

Very subtle use of Darbari Kanada. Rest of the song is Adaana version only.

Such a minute difference of expressing Shringar Rasa. Sometimes it is a Joyful expression of Shringar and sometimes it is a Peaceful expression of Shringar. 

OR another example

Pure Gold of Gujari Todi, Jogi Baitha Bin bajaye. :hatsoff:Reshmaji

Little expansion of Todi here by Richa Sharma. 

Music is like space exploration. I even equally like Reshma ji or say Parveen Sultani ji. I used to listen to them a lot. 

They all were/are very great singers in their own ways. 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I remember admonishing you or somebody else for liking Kumar Nasu. Sorry.

Haha must be me only...it is totally fine...

Btw Sanu's voice helped cure a cancer patient and a cerebral palsy patient, say his profile pages on different websites..

"Abhishek couldn’t bat a single eyelid, but this song made him cry, laugh, smile and scream. Doctor’s say that the frequency of his voice hits the brain and energizes it. Medical experts are trying to grasp that frequency. "

Because I want to spam the thread...check out following song for ex. which is quintessential Kumar Sanu

Say when you are driving and suddenly this song comes up on FM, you feel energized.   :D