Player of the Tournament

Cricketphile

Predict the Player of the Tournament? Some of the biggest contenders so far are:

1. Jasprit Bumrah - Most wickets, team in the playoffs (championship contender as well). Will only be the 3rd Indian to ever win it (after Sachin in 2010, and Kohli in 2016).

2. Kagiso Rabada - Excellent season, team in the playoffs (can trump Bumrah if Delhi wins the trophy and/or if he overtakes Bumrah for wickets).

3. David Warner - Most runs among the teams qualified for the playoffs. Can really have a shot if he has 2 to 3 great performances and if he can take SRH to atleast the final.

4. KL Rahul - Most likely orange cap winner. Leading the charts by far. However, failed to take his team to the playoffs. Strike rates also came into criticism for many of his knocks.

5. Yuzvendra Chahal/Rashid Khan - Best spinners in the tournament, in turning tracks. A few more wickets and taking their respective teams to atleast the final can significantly boost their chances.

My prediction is for Jasprit Bumrah to win it (even if Mumbai doesn't win the trophy), further highlighting him as one of the superstars of the current Indian team (along with Kohli and Rohit).

42 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Jofra Archer is leading the pack & will win most likely.

Although Joffra was a revelation, at the end of the day, Rajasthan ended up bottom of the table and got the wooden spoon. Yes, there have been 2 instances when someone whose team did not qualify for the playoffs won the MVP (Andre Russell in 2015 and 2019), it is rare and was thanks to superb all-round 'one man' shows in both seasons. Not to mention, KKR did finish 5th and narrowly missed out on the playoffs both seasons. I would be really surprised if Joffra wins the MVP this season, he hasn't even won a single man of the match award this season which also means that he wasn't the standout performer for his team in any of the matches that his team won. 

8 hours ago, Cricketphile said:

Although Joffra was a revelation, at the end of the day, Rajasthan ended up bottom of the table and got the wooden spoon. Yes, there have been 2 instances when someone whose team did not qualify for the playoffs won the MVP (Andre Russell in 2015 and 2019), it is rare and was thanks to superb all-round 'one man' shows in both seasons. Not to mention, KKR did finish 5th and narrowly missed out on the playoffs both seasons. I would be really surprised if Joffra wins the MVP this season, he hasn't even won a single man of the match award this season which also means that he wasn't the standout performer for his team in any of the matches that his team won. 

Wo sab theek hai but in the official points list Jofra is leading. 

On 11/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, SK_IH said:

Wo sab theek hai but in the official points list Jofra is leading. 

Hey, thanks a lot. I had no idea there was such a table tracking player points in the official IPL website, and that the MVP award is chosen from it. However, I noticed that the player with the most points do not always win the MVP award, although they do more often than not. Exception have been Jacques Kallis was leading in 2010 (Sachin won it), Sunil Narine leading it in 2017 (Ben Stokes won) & Chris Gayle leading in 2012 (Narine won). It is to be noted that some of the winners have not even been top 3 in the player rating list, so clearly the points is not the be all-and all of it. There are other decisions that go in as well before the decision. Although Bumrah proably won't catch up with Archer this year, considering he only has one game left, he still looks best candidate for me, and like I said it will be huge as he will become only the third Indian to win it, highlighting his importance to the national team.