What right do celebs like Kohli have to lecture commoners about protecting environment?

Gollum

Kohli also features in the advertisement of "Hero" motor bike. Apparently it is a vehicle which gives fuel efficiency of 45 kmpl at its best. 

His house electricity bills must be surely more than crores of Indian households. 

Perhaps his car or should we say cars, must be consuming more fuel. What if every Indian who owns less cars than him or do not have vehicles start lecturing how Kohli consumes fuel and should avoid using fuel totaly.

Surely Kohli uses more products than many average Indians, the production of which consumes hell lot of power and water as well as create pollution during the production of those goods.

The fuel which he uses while traveling one way to Australia will be much more than what so many Indians consume in whole year. 

As such he should shut up lecturing those who consume substantially less resources and thereby polluting environment less than he does. Perhaps when he gets more elder, he will understand how much resources he has wasted than those whom he is trying to preach.

But but but let us not talk about stubble burning, dumpsters on fire, construction activities, industrial and vehicular pollution, coal power plants......2 hrs crackers one night in the year is responsible for all of Earth's problems. If not for Diwali, Delhi will become Vienna overnight.

These children are the real devils of this planet as per selfish, entitled elites like Kohli.

Outlook Photo Gallery : Children lights fire crackers in a slum in Mumbai.

@Gollum India's pollution problem is due to the rising economy in the past 30 years. If not for it, we will be in a perpetual banana republic like Zimbabwe. There is a problem that needs to be addressed and we must find a solution. firecracker ban is not one of it. I don't usually celebrate with fire crackers after becoming an adult. But next time, I will buy a 10000 wala just to see the libs cry :lol:

24 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

@Gollum India's pollution problem is due to the rising economy in the past 30 years. If not for it, we will be in a perpetual banana republic like Zimbabwe. There is a problem that needs to be addressed and we must find a solution. firecracker ban is not one of it. I don't usually celebrate with fire crackers after becoming an adult. But next time, I will buy a 10000 wala just to see the libs cry :lol:

Yeah this arbitrary, stupid, unscientific, sudden ban has not just affected the traders/shopkeepers but also hit Sivakasi economy real bad. Sivakasi is a model hub when it comes to success of entrepreneurial spirit of a local community in small town India, harami politicians can't create a few thousand jobs per year but so eager to destroy a successful industry which employs lakhs of people. If they want to limit use of crackers in India, help Sivakasi export their products, India isn't among the top 15 exporters of crackers, so much of untapped potential LINK

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of fireworks during 2019.

• China: US$799 million (80.4% of exported fireworks)
  • Netherlands: $60.7 million (6.1%)
  • Brazil: $22.9 million (2.3%)
  • Germany: $16.6 million (1.7%)
  • Poland: $14.5 million (1.5%)
  • Spain: $12.1 million (1.2%)
  • Czech Republic: $11.4 million (1.1%)
  • Israel: $10.8 million (1.1%)
  • United States: $5.6 million (0.6%)
  • Italy: $3.7 million (0.4%)
  • Singapore: $3.4 million (0.3%)
  • France: $3 million (0.3%)
  • United Kingdom: $2.9 million (0.3%)
  • Austria: $2.4 million (0.2%)
  • Switzerland: $2.3 million (0.2%)
Edited by Gollum

15 hours ago, Gollum said:

Yeah this arbitrary, stupid, unscientific, sudden ban has not just affected the traders/shopkeepers but also hit Sivakasi economy real bad. Sivakasi is a model hub when it comes to success of entrepreneurial spirit of a local community in small town India, harami politicians can't create a few thousand jobs per year but so eager to destroy a successful industry which employs lakhs of people. If they want to limit use of crackers in India, help Sivakasi export their products, India isn't among the top 15 exporters of crackers, so much of untapped potential LINK

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of fireworks during 2019.

• China: US$799 million (80.4% of exported fireworks)
  • Netherlands: $60.7 million (6.1%)
  • Brazil: $22.9 million (2.3%)
  • Germany: $16.6 million (1.7%)
  • Poland: $14.5 million (1.5%)
  • Spain: $12.1 million (1.2%)
  • Czech Republic: $11.4 million (1.1%)
  • Israel: $10.8 million (1.1%)
  • United States: $5.6 million (0.6%)
  • Italy: $3.7 million (0.4%)
  • Singapore: $3.4 million (0.3%)
  • France: $3 million (0.3%)
  • United Kingdom: $2.9 million (0.3%)
  • Austria: $2.4 million (0.2%)
  • Switzerland: $2.3 million (0.2%)

I am not sure, but one of the reasons that India doesn't feature on the Fireworks export market could be that places like Sivakasi employ children in the manufacture of firecrackers. Many Western nations have policies in place which prevent them from buying from places where child labour is prevalent.

11 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I am not sure, but one of the reasons that India doesn't feature on the Fireworks export market could be that places like Sivakasi employ children in the manufacture of firecrackers. Many Western nations have policies in place which prevent them from buying from places where child labour is prevalent.

I think that practice has been curbed for a while now, How Sivakasi redeemed itself Saw many links on SM which seemed to suggest that child labor card is just propaganda now. 

Child labor is prevalent in China, Western nations somehow don't see anything wrong with that. And not just child labor, China is #1 when it comes to bonded labor...even companies like Apple, Nike employ bonded Uyghur labor. 

25 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

He has every right to lecture the 'commoners' on protecting the environment. You (we) have every right to ridicule his comments, call him out on his hypocrisy and make memes on him.

Don't take it literally, come on now....

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Don't take it literally, come on now....

Let’s see if she has the same view when celebrities start calling out slaughtering of innocent animals on Eid. Then we will see if freedom of speech exists.

Right now only Hindu festivals are being targeted so free speech is a good thing and must be allowed.

20 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Let’s see if she has the same view when celebrities start calling out slaughtering of innocent animals on Eid. Then we will see if freedom of speech exists.

Right now only Hindu festivals are being targeted so free speech is a good thing and must be allowed.

Na re, I don't think she is against the premise of this thread. 

You are right, Hindu festivals are being targeted by libbus and activists. No one should have any problem with Bakrid, after all Indians slaughter millions of animals daily, nothing wrong in consuming meat. As long as govt and community leaders make provisions for sanitation on that particular day, as long as the community ensures hygiene, stays away from making it a spectacle in places where others are inconvenienced, also keeping children away from the throat slitting part yada yada no one should have any problem. Hindus abide by these basic common sense points, yet judiciary has banned 'bali' (animal sacrifice) in Tripura, Assam and other regions (just a few shakti temples practice, and a few dozen animals sacrificed during certain festivals)....bali meat is distributed among poor/devotees, consumed...yet for milords it is wrong. I have nothing against Bakrid, nothing against 'pashubali', in former case maybe 10 million animals are butchered, latter case maybe 100. Yet only Hindus are the soft targets...GOI equally responsible, Modi even banned animal exports to Nepal to stop their Gadhimai festival, why?

I don't understand this kind hypocrisy (by political class, bureaucracy, civil society, MSM, buddhijeevi class) and judicial activism. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I don't understand the premise of your post.

To begin with, is it the job of celebrities to 'call out' and ask to curb the various religious (mal)practices?

But if that is the barometer by which you gauge freedom of speech, there have many celebrities who have called out on ritual sacrifice on Bakri Id. There have been a fair few NGOs also which have advocated for the same and filed cases on a plethora of issues.

From the top of my head:

PETA had approached various state governments so that they can enforce the law that animals be slaughtered only in government sanctioned slaughter houses and that municipal authorities must ensure compliance with this ruling. There are animal cruelty and food safety laws that slaughter houses comply to, which individuals involved in ritual slaughter may not adhere to. IIRC, Javed Shabana were vocal about this and rightly so. Javed Akhtar also has campaigned on social media to ban the azaan on loudspeakers given how invasive they are. Hell, he even wrote a nazm on the topic.  

There had been a SM campaign to reduce lighting on Christmas so that power consumption stays within limits.

This entire 'only' Hindus are targeted in plain fear mongering. People are being outspoken about what they feel are social ills and SM amplifies their voices. And people are also posing about caring for the nature. Kohli's case is most likely the latter.

Do you really think that Virat Kohli has anything against Hindus/Hinduism? Come on.

As @BacktoCricaddict very eloquently said: its his attempt to gain some 'social capital'. 

Also this specific cracker ban is very strange and possibly untenable legally speaking. You can always ask that if you want to ban crackers, why ban its sale and not its production. What about the factories which spent so much to manufacture the crackers? Just banning them on the eleventh hour gives them no room for sale and they have to sell it all in the black market at really low rates. If the government had some foresight, they'd save the factories these loses and just ask them to stop production or reduce production months ago minimizing loses. 

Just last Tuesday, after :mi: won the IPL, people were bursting crackers here well into midnight. Very strange.

Edited by Mariyam

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I don't understand the premise of your post.

To begin with, is it the job of celebrities to 'call out' and ask to curb the various religious (mal)practices?

But if that is the barometer by which you gauge freedom of speech, there have many celebrities who have called out on ritual sacrifice on Bakri Id. There have been a fair few NGOs also which have advocated for the same and filed cases on a plethora of issues.

From the top of my head:

PETA had approached various state governments so that they can enforce the law that animals be slaughtered only in government sanctioned slaughter houses and that municipal authorities must ensure compliance with this ruling. There are animal cruelty and food safety laws that slaughter houses comply to, which individuals involved in ritual slaughter may not adhere to. IIRC, Javed Shabana were vocal about this and rightly so. Javed Akhtar also has campaigned on social media to ban the azaan on loudspeakers given how invasive they are. Hell, he even wrote a nazm on the topic.  

There had been a SM campaign to reduce lighting on Christmas so that power consumption stays within limits.

But Bakrid goes on as usual (court even allows slaughter inside society premises THE BOMBAY High Court Monday refused to grant any relief to members of a Malabar Hill apartment, who sought orders restraining three other members of their housing society from slaughtering goats within the society premises on the occasion of Bakrid), azan goes on as usual, Christmas goes on as usual.

OTOH every single Hindu festival is attacked, abused, every single one. Hindus can't celebrate one festival without being made to feel like criminals in this country. 

This entire 'only' Hindus are targeted in plain fear mongering. 

Come on, seriously? Does judiciary have no job other than deciding how we celebrate our festivals?

Cracker ban check (Hindus in Pak/BD are being allowed to celebrate freely)

Jallikattu ban check

Temple bali ban check

Holi water balloon ban check

Temple elephant ban check

I think they have even put 1000 restrictions when it came to dahi handi festival

Courts decide how we worship inside temples

Durga idols immersion ban in Bengal on Muharram check (ok but at least there the HC slammed TMC govt and allowed immersion)

In a village in Bengal, Muslims have ensured no Durga Puja celebration by Hindus, judiciary/admin refuse to intervene LINK

You don't see a trend? Our patience is seen as a sign of weakness. So many arrests all over India the last 2 days because some people dared to burst a couple of crackers (as is tradition)...pan-India incl BJP states. Parents are being locked up because their children were reported for bursting crackers, many are being treated like terrorists, wtf is going on?

You are from the legal community, why do you think Indian judiciary is hell-bent upon eradicating ONLY Hindu traditions/festivals?

As @BacktoCricaddict very eloquently said: its his attempt to gain some 'social capital'. 

Also this specific cracker ban is very strange and possibly untenable legally speaking. You can always ask that if you want to ban crackers, why ban its sale and not its production. What about the factories which spent so much to manufacture the crackers? Just banning them on the eleventh hour gives them no room for sale and they have to sell it all in the black market at really low rates. If the government had some foresight, they'd save the factories these loses and just ask them to stop production or reduce production months ago minimizing loses. 

Agree

Edited by Gollum

@Gollum

The Bombay HC order on ritual sacrifice on Bakri Id.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/animal-slaughter-not-allowed-in-private-premises-bombay-hc/story-T3OFLxCMAndBEeivihxYKJ.html 

https://www.theleaflet.in/bombay-hc-bans-slaughtering-of-animals-inside-individual-flats-on-bakra-eid/# (You can read the order in this link).

Do you want to hazard a guess as to who pleaded for the ban of ritual slaughter in residential/private areas? Which housing society initially approached the courts?

There are similar prohibitory orders on use of loudspeakers for Azaan from the Bombay HC.

In my view these are Civic issues and not religious issues. I would never see a (very rightful at that) ban on loudspeakers for azaan as infringement of my religious rights. Lets draw a distinction here.

Now that this is out of the way, my response was about celebrities commenting on such issues. There is *nothing* to indicate that these celebrities 'target' only the Hindu faith. From Bollywood to Social activists to well known cops all battled for Shah Bano for over three decades. Many others have spoken against ritual sacrifice and also against blocking roads for Friday namaz. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have some serious misgivings about Indian judiciary. We are not even operating at the same level of mutual respect or understanding of reality if you think that the judiciary is biased against Hindus and is "hell bent on eradicating Hindu traditions/festivals".

Each of the instances that you put up, must be viewed case by case, with a detailed look at the antecedent court rulings. Only then I can tell you if there is any such trend.

I am not aware of the details of most of the cases that you cite, but if the ruling is unfair, it can always be challenged.

Also, *most* of the High court/Supreme court judges are men/women of extremely high integrity who put aside their personal biases when passing a judgement. I know of a judge who didn't take a single holiday during his tenure as a HC judge, missed his daughter's muhurat hour and could only make it to the reception. Anecdotal, but I share because is extremely sad to see everyone here just pass comments on the integrity/motive of people associated with the justice dispensing system. 

Believe it or not, there is no ulterior motive. As a judicial system, we are overburdened with a back log of cases. Do you think the Judiciary has the time or the resources to 'scheme' in the sense you think it does?

Edited by Mariyam

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

@Gollum @Mariyam If you view from a non-religious angle, this is an attack on hinduism because we have the most holidays. muslims and christians have fewer holidays. it might be an effort to give less free time and to make us slave ourselves away. non-hindus must look into this and protect hinduism :dance:

Don't follow. People get the holidays regardless of the faith they follow. Don't you get holidays for Christmas?

Edited by Mariyam

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Don't follow. People get the holidays regardless of the faith they follow. Don't you get holidays for Christmas?

Also I'd like to think that I view most of these matters from a non religious angle. If you think that I hold a prejudiced view because of my religious affiliation, I don't know what to say.

I was responding to gollum who takes these matters too seriously and added you to have a laugh at it. the joke is we have too many holidays. I did not have the same number of holidays in USA where it was always work. why do you play spoil sport :bike: