Soccer Legend Diego Maradona is no more

maniac

Damn. Damn. Damn. He was my absolute all-time favorite footballer, bar none.  I was a teenager when he won the 1986 WC with his incomparable magic.  He led the most complicated life of any athlete and battled all kinds of demons his whole life.  I watched Asif Kapadia's documentary about his rise and fall from grace ... just stunningly sad. 

RIP, the greatest that ever was.

Shocked, RIP. 

GOAT footballer, and among top 5 sportsmen of all time in most people's books. 1986 and 1990 WCs were the greatest one-man shows in the history of any sport. And what he did for Napoli was unearthly. 

Remember the reception he got in Kolkata a few years back, no Bengali/Indian icon would have got such a welcome. Ruled the hearts of even those who never saw him live. PK, Chuni, Maradona all gone in 2020, 3 favorite sons of Kolkata...two homegrown and one adopted. 

The Maradona mania — From Kolkata to Kerala | Photo Gallery

Diego Maradona himself revealed his date of arrival in Kolkata! - YouTube

One thing I remember from the documentary was that he was Neapolitan more than he was Argentinian.  He took an impoverished city that was looked down upon by everyone and won them championships.  His biggest moments of glory came from those accomplishments.  But he was bewildered when they started hating on him in 1990 when he led Argentina to a win against Italy in freakkin Napoli.  He was also sucked into the Italian mafia and could never get out of their clutches.  They launched his glory and plotted his downfall.  One of the most complicated stories ever.

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Greatest sporting moment of all time surely...WC QF 1986 vs England, what a genius, what a showman!!!!!

For him and many of his countrymen this was revenge for defeat in Falklands War. 

Most controversial

Eff the hand of god goal.  That other one where he weaved his way through every Pom on the field was alone worth 3 goals and more than made up for the Hand of god goal.  I went many years as a youngster arguing vehemently (even though I knew reality in my head) that his hand never touched the ball.  

Watch the Belgium ones from the 1986 SF.  Just unearthly stuff.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

1990 final saw biased refereeing against Argentina, fraud penalty which Germany converted, ARG played with 9 (2 sent off) against 11(+ref) and even before that most of their main players were suspended or out injured. Maradona deserved to win that WC as well, controlled the game singlehandedly. 

Edited by Gollum

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

1990 final saw some biased refereeing against Argentina, they played with 9 (2 sent off) against 11(+ref) and even before that most of their main players were suspended or out injured. Maradona deserved to win that WC as well, controlled the game singlehandedly. 

Without a doubt.  He owned that whole WC too.  Playing with a sore ankle and inflamed foot from the round of 16 onwards, he braved it out.  He made the winning penalty kick against Italy in Naples.  Then was robbed in the final.  That was the beginning of the end.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict