Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2021-22

Mosher

On 1/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, express bowling said:

Why can't the richest cricket board arrange for speed guns in one of its premier domestic tournaments ????

Not related to cricket, but here goes nonetheless

BMC is the richest Municipality in India. Mumbai Police is the richest ( budget allocation wise) Police force in India.

BMC or one of its wings has to approve of the hand held radar guns that the traffic cops use. Someone had filed an RTI a couple of years ago, and identified that they were some very fancy and expensive radar guns made by a company from Sweden.

I can vouch for the fact that they are utterly useless. Or tampered with. Probably the latter. I was driving home and was on the BWSL which has a speed limit of 80. I never speed on that stretch and there was no way that I even touched a 70. I got an e challan with a screen shot of the radar gun showing 104. There is just no way I was driving that fast. Has happened with a few people I know.

I don't trust those radar guns. And the people using them. Don't think you must repose too much faith in those things. If the bowler is doing good, picking up wickets, not getting whacked around the ground a 104 or 110 makes scant difference.

Just my cricket (and radar gun) uneducated 0.02$

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Don't think you must repose too much faith in those things. If the bowler is doing good, picking up wickets, not getting whacked around the ground a 104 or 110 makes scant difference.

Just my cricket (and radar gun) uneducated 0.02$

Hi Mariyam,  was it a hand held radar gun ?  What you are saying is very true regarding hand held radar guns.

Cricket uses radar guns fixed to the ground. Even then, they can be inaccurate  ... which is why, in international matches, they use 3 radar guns and take either the median reading or the mean reading. This evens out discrepancies to a large extent.

Moreover, roughly from 2010 onwards, they are using high speed cameras to measure bowling speeds in international matches. High speed cameras give absolutely correct readings as they measure speeds along the path of the ball. Whereas Radar guns use Doppler Effect and hence speed is not measured along the trajectory of the ball.

And those speed data, from high speed cameras, are often released by Data Analysis Organizations like Cricviz.

Speed readings are important because of multiple reasons ----

1The factors that primarily differentiate different levels of cricket ... club level, state level, A-team level and international level ... are. (a) The higher bowling speeds of pacers   (b) The ability to play such speeds by the batters.  (c) An overall higher skill level.

So, knowing the speed of a pacer becomes crucial. What may seem like great bowling at state level maybe cannon fodder to a Smith or Kohli or Williamson. Because these guys have tremendous reflexes and only a really quick or bouncy ball with movement and in the right areas can beat them.

2For a long time, till 1998, there was a myth going on that Indians could not bowl fast. Indian pacers were demeaned for this and many aspiring young pacers even gave up quick bowling due to this. When bowling speeds were shown ball by ball, from 1999 onwards, it was seen that the quicker Indian pacers were as quick as most in the world.

It was only after speed guns were regularly used that India started to produce multiple good quality pacers ... and now have world class gems like Bumrah and Shami. 

This belief  ... knowing that their speeds are world class ... have aspired young Indian boys to take up fast bowling.

3.  If you know the regular speed range of a pacer ... like 135 k to 148 k for Bumrah ... it is easy to spot a lack of rhythm or a developing injury.

When Bumrah suddenly started bowling 130 k to 140 k in the 3rd test 2nd innings in Australia  ... many of us were discussing whether he has developed a niggle. And it turned out to be true. Happened on the WI 2019 tour too.

A lack of rhythm or issues with bowling action can be spotted this way too. And the coaches can work on the issue.

4.  A finite benchmark can be set for young quicks regarding the speeds that they need to reach for their bowling style, if they want to play international cricket.  Minimum of 135 k to 145 k for fast bowlers and minimum of 130 k to 138 k / 140 k for swing bowlers. 

This gives them a finite target to achieve.

Deepak Chahar became international class when he saw that he was bowling 120 k to 125 k ... worked really hard to up his speeds ... and now bowls 130 k to 138 k in the shorter versions. And this has completely transformed his career.

In a nutshell ... knowing the speed ranges of pacers help the pacers and their coaches a lot. And this applies to both  domestic competitions as well as international cricket ... and the speed data is sufficiently accurate in international cricket atleast.  3 speed guns can easily be used in domestic competitions too, by the richest board in cricket.   : )

Edited by express bowling
5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@express bowling Thanks for taking the time and spelling it all out to a total noob like me. 

Much appreciated.

Yes, the traffic cops use hand held radar guns.

Your are not a noob Mariyam.

You probably know more about the IPL than I or many others do.

Good to see you posting, even after the IPL is over.

Edited by express bowling