Jump to content
Harsh Thakor

Best fast-medium pace bowlers of all time in order of merit?

Which 5 fast medium pacers would you choose in an all-time test XI in a team without a spinner or a genuinely fast bowler?  

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Which 5 fast medium pacers would you choose in an all-time test XI in a team without a spinner or a genuinely fast bowler?

    • Glen Mcgrath
    • Kapil Dev
    • Ian Botham
    • James Anderson
    • Fazal Mehmood
    • Sarafraz Nawaz
    • Shaun Pollock
    • Vernon Philanderer
    • Jaggaval Srinath
    • Mohammad Asif
    • Alec Bedser
      0
    • Chamin De Vaas
    • Terry Alderman
      0
    • Bob Massie
      0
    • Roger Binny


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Considered fast-around 140-145kph.Imran was on average around 145kmp or 90m.p.h.Generally both not considered fast medium.Imran ofcourse quicker.

145kmph average!! 

Are u kidding me

Imran was a Bumrah level speedster in first half of his career and bowled at Siraj Level speeds in the later part. 

 

If Imran was 145 kph average then Waqar should be 150 kph average and Michael holding should be 153 kph avg. Lol. 

 

Imran operated in the 135-150 range so probably 140 kph average in earlier part of his career and nearly 135(more like 132) kph or so in the latter . 

Link to post
On 2/16/2021 at 3:22 PM, Harsh Thakor said:

Considered fast-around 140-145kph.Imran was on average around 145kmp or 90m.p.h.Generally both not considered fast medium.Imran ofcourse quicker.

Imran at his quickest was fast medium. If you are talking about records, first get your facts correct. 

Richard Hadlee when he made debut was blistering pace. He reduced his pace later. 

Imran Khan was military when he made debut, about 120-125ish. At his quickest, he was around 145ish, but not always that pace. 

 

Wasim Akram, apart from a few spells was mostly 137-142ish and at times 145. Rarely though. 

 

So, Imran Khan and Wasim Akram should be on this list. But I trust your instincts and I understand that you have only mentioned bowlers who bowled within the law, without breaking the spirit of the game. Hence, no Imran Khan and Wasim Akram in the list who were known for using bottle caps and other illegal tricks. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Adamant said:

145kmph average!! 

Are u kidding me

Imran was a Bumrah level speedster in first half of his career and bowled at Siraj Level speeds in the later part. 

 

If Imran was 145 kph average then Waqar should be 150 kph average and Michael holding should be 153 kph avg. Lol. 

 

Imran operated in the 135-150 range so probably 140 kph average in earlier part of his career and nearly 135(more like 132) kph or so in the latter . 

Imran was never Bumrah level pace at any point of his career. Imran was easily 5k's slower. A good comparison of Imran's pace is Ajit Agarkar. At his quickest, Imran was Agarkar's pace. Sharp enough and at times fast, but never express.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Adamant said:

145kmph average!! 

Are u kidding me

Imran was a Bumrah level speedster in first half of his career and bowled at Siraj Level speeds in the later part. 

 

If Imran was 145 kph average then Waqar should be 150 kph average and Michael holding should be 153 kph avg. Lol. 

 

Imran operated in the 135-150 range so probably 140 kph average in earlier part of his career and nearly 135(more like 132) kph or so in the latter . 

show me atleast 3-4 deliveries at around 140 for imran lolz.. he was rank trundler. Wasim who was the fastest amoung them was fast medium. Waqar looked geneuinly fast at times, but under radar even he was found wanting. 

Link to post
32 minutes ago, Vilander said:

show me atleast 3-4 deliveries at around 140 for imran lolz.. he was rank trundler. Wasim who was the fastest amoung them was fast medium. Waqar looked geneuinly fast at times, but under radar even he was found wanting. 

Surprisingly, when I was watching old videos of the 92-93 English series, Waqar was clocked at around 130-135ish and commentators were calling him fast!

Link to post

If Waqar was 135ish bowler then Bumrah is a trundler. Waqar had genuine pace, Wasim could crank it up 145 plus when needed but mostly operated at 130 to 135.Given his height and quick arm action Akram had plenty of pace when he needed it.Imran transformed himself from Trundler to fast bowler. I have an issue with their ball tampering  but they all had pace .

Link to post
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If Waqar was 135ish bowler then Bumrah is a trundler. Waqar had genuine pace, Wasim could crank it up 145 plus when needed but mostly operated at 130 to 135.Given his height and quick arm action Akram had plenty of pace when he needed it.Imran transformed himself from Trundler to fast bowler. I have an issue with their ball tampering  but they all had pace .

Imran was fast medium. At times bowled around 145. Dont agree with this point.

Agreed Waqar was genuine pace, but like I said, in 93, I have seen his videos where he was bowling around 135ish.  I never said Wasim could not bowl fast. But he chose to bowl quick rarely. I'd call Wasim's pace nippy. 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Rightarmfast said:

Imran was fast medium. At times bowled around 145. Dont agree with this point.

Agreed Waqar was genuine pace, but like I said, in 93, I have seen his videos where he was bowling around 135ish.  I never said Wasim could not bowl fast. But he chose to bowl quick rarely. I'd call Wasim's pace nippy. 

I never said you said they did not have pace. Imran before his shin injury in 1982  could bowl fast , was he Jeff Thompson or Akthar no , same thing with Akram. Even Brett lee in later part of his career was operating mostly 140ish.

 

If you compare Bumrah with them them I cannot say Bumrah is faster than them. Judging pace of a bowler from few random videos is completely wrong IMO. 

Link to post
4 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Imran at his quickest was fast medium. If you are talking about records, first get your facts correct. 

Richard Hadlee when he made debut was blistering pace. He reduced his pace later. 

Imran Khan was military when he made debut, about 120-125ish. At his quickest, he was around 145ish, but not always that pace. 

 

Wasim Akram, apart from a few spells was mostly 137-142ish and at times 145. Rarely though. 

 

So, Imran Khan and Wasim Akram should be on this list. But I trust your instincts and I understand that you have only mentioned bowlers who bowled within the law, without breaking the spirit of the game. Hence, no Imran Khan and Wasim Akram in the list who were known for using bottle caps and other illegal tricks. 

 

Wasim Akram was as quick as Josh Hazlewood, brisk pace without being too fast.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I never said you said they did not have pace. Imran before his shin injury in 1982  could bowl fast , was he Jeff Thompson or Akthar no , same thing with Akram. Even Brett lee in later part of his career was operating mostly 140ish.

 

If you compare Bumrah with them them I cannot say Bumrah is faster than them. Judging pace of a bowler from few random videos is completely wrong IMO. 

I think this discussion will keep going on, because theres no perfect answer, but still....  It all depends what is your definition of fast. If your definition of fast is 140k's,  Imran was fast. So was Agarkar. 

 

Judging a bowler from random videos is completely wrong. Agreed. So is calling someone fast without actually measuring his speed and talking from hearsay.

Edited by Rightarmfast
Link to post
Just now, Rightarmfast said:

I dont prefer carrying on arguments, but what the heck,....  It all depends what is your definition of fast. If your definition of fast is 140k's,  Imran was fast. So was Agarkar. 

 

Judging a bowler from random videos is completely wrong. Agreed. So is calling someone fast without actually measuring his speed and talking from hearsay.

Batsmen like Gavaskar and Boycott who have faced all the fast bowlers have mentioned about  Imran's pace many times. I have seen people calling Joel Garner trundler here.Read if you get a chance interviews of Imran's fast bowling partner Garth le Roux about Imran.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...