Is Livingstone a HACK or a “modern day” Batsman?

If we are primarily supporting Rohit, Kohli, etc., our software is v 2015 ...  if we think that Indian cricket is there to support such guys w/ others revolving around them, our software needs to be upgraded 

We talk about SRs in Tests but ignore in LOIs, where teams are pushing for 350 in most conditions 

The question is does Ind want to be reduced to certain conditions specific team?

Edited by zen

Hacks don't have a place in Intl cricket, Fakhar Zaman is a classic example of an Hack, this guy is a genuine talent and has a beautiful approach to batting. Hits the ball smoothly through the line, has a Yuvrajesque swing of the bat. The Batting talent coming through England these days is scary, wonder what baba ki Jadibuti they found after 2015 WC, they have been revolutionary in the way ODI cricket is played these days. Relentless attack from start to end is their Modus Operandi. Great for Cricket and it's  Entertainment Value.

Edited by Sean Bradley
9 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

He is a modern T50 player as is all English batsmen  with a different mindset to traditional ODI players who set par scores and it works more times than it doesn't . 

Mindset is fine but does he have the temperament or technique to play a 30(45) knock to get his team cross the line in a low scoring thriller or play a calculated knock?

If his utility is just to get a quick 20(10) or on a good day 80(45) type knock then that would be a little in the hackish territory.

Bairstow has that mindset too but can’t call him a hack even though he has more potential than just being a white ball player.

Roy is a hack but a decent one tat that even though  it’s a disgrace that he played test cricket and glad they found out what his capacity is. Imagine Roy in a pink ball in the Ashes or on a Chennai/ Ahemdabad type pitch lol

2 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Mindset is fine but does he have the temperament or technique to play a 30(45) knock to get his team cross the line in a low scoring thriller or play a calculated knock?

If his utility is just to get a quick 20(10) or on a good day 80(45) type knock then that would be a little in the hackish territory.

Bairstow has that mindset too but can’t call him a hack even though he has more potential than just being a white ball player.

Roy is a hack but a decent one tat that even though  it’s a disgrace that he played test cricket and glad they found out what his capacity is. Imagine Roy in a pink ball in the Ashes or on a Chennai/ Ahemdabad type pitch lol

What is this facination that you and a few others have with this word HACK ? Why are you as an Indian worried if an England player is a " hack" or can he do this or that ?

Ask YCCC and as an Englishman I am pretty sure he is delighted with Livingston 

1 minute ago, Tattieboy said:

What is this facination that you and a few others have with this word HACK ? Why are you as an Indian worried if an England player is a " hack" or can he do this or that ?

Many Ind fans are "worried" because their favorite players cannot keep up with the change ... Eng batsmen are making some of these guys appear relics :winky:

good for him then.

As per your first part, my only concern is as you can see a lot of Indian fans want such hit or miss players in the side or the nomenclature for that “HACK”. Now that concerns me.

Not calling Livingstone one though as I haven’t seen him enough but posters are rating him highly so was curious about his body of work. 

4 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

good for him then.

As per your first part, my only concern is as you can see a lot of Indian fans want such hit or miss players in the side or the nomenclature for that “HACK”. Now that concerns me.

Not calling Livingstone one though as I haven’t seen him enough but posters are rating him highly so was curious about his body of work. 

If you and others and I include Indian TM can not see that ODI has been changing and will continue to change by International teams then that's not hacks like Livingstone fault . In 5 years time  no decent International captain will stand and say 300 was a good score and  extra 36 was a bonus for us 

If you and others and I include Indian TM can not see that ODI has been changing and will continue to change by International teams then that's not hacks like Livingstone fault . In 5 years time  no decent International captain will stand and say 300 was a good score and  extra 36 was a bonus for us 

Let me digress here and rephrase my question 

not man to man but overall on a scale of 1-10 how much ahead do you think is the modern English team ahead of the current and apparently outdated Indian team?

As a neutral fan let me ask you this, you are picking a odi/t20 squad and your option is Rohit/Jason Roy  who would you pick?

@Tattieboy I am not against modern approach but I think good quality cricketers can adapt to that approach as well. I want good quality cricketers playing high quality modern cricket.

You will never see me call Morgan,Bairstow,Butler,Stokes or even Malan and Sam Billings as hacks (jury still a little out there on this one)

Even though Morgan who is one of my fav cricketers is soon going the Afridi/Russell route or May be he is just out of touch but he is much better than that.

In fact I even think Mo Ali is a proper bat and not a hack even though he plays like one these days.