Turkey removes the law that protected women from violence

zen

2 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delhi-woman-62-sexually-assaulted-stabbed-20-times-dies-police-2463890?pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories&_gl=1*1hd4gqd*_ga*UFQ2bTVHSTRqV3ozaHlFTjl0djd4WWpEMVFtYWxMRGFsbEpXMEJPQnVrVjZ2WVdSaUQ5SEtKODRua2tVcUVCNA..

In the news today. 

A 62 year old dies after being stabbed 20 times and sexually assaulted. 

And some idiots want to "expose" what's going on in Turkey. No wonder no one takes them seriously :bird:

Charity begins at home. 

Ok, open a discussion thread about it. This is not a comparison thread to compare women safety in different countries. It is about the specific law in Turkey.  

14 hours ago, Vilander said:

Turkey's main opposition called the move an effort to relegate "women to second class citizens," 

Wow, this is a problem in all conservative  Islamic countries. So Turkey is now becoming fully Conservative, not a good sign. 

In my personal opinion, being conservative and being barbaric are two different things.  This is plain barbaric.

10 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delhi-woman-62-sexually-assaulted-stabbed-20-times-dies-police-2463890?pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories&_gl=1*1hd4gqd*_ga*UFQ2bTVHSTRqV3ozaHlFTjl0djd4WWpEMVFtYWxMRGFsbEpXMEJPQnVrVjZ2WVdSaUQ5SEtKODRua2tVcUVCNA..

In the news today. 

A 62 year old dies after being stabbed 20 times and sexually assaulted. 

And some idiots want to "expose" what's going on in Turkey. No wonder no one takes them seriously :bird:

Charity begins at home. 

Bro, I hope you realise that both of these 2 cases have entirely different dimensions. 

Indian case (which your quoted above) is an "individual" crime. Whole Indian society already unanimously agree upon it that it is a crime. 

But the case in Turkey is about "collective" level, where millions of women are going to be severely effected by it. And it has the potential to be exported to other Muslims countries too. This is the beginning of radicalisation of secular society of Turkey. 

We have the "ability" to condemn the violence against women in our countries, and as well as in other countries too. Why then to limit us only to our home only?

12 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

No amount of mumbo jumbo or verbal gymnastics from you is going to convince me the safety of women anywhere else in the world should come before the safety of women in India. 

You don't seem capable of understanding. No worries, you've exposed your stupidity time and time again. We get it. 

Made my position clear. 

If your stupidity gets in the way of your comprehension, your problem :eyedance:

dude you are getting angry calling people names here.. no one cares. 

i get it you dont like this topic. get out of the thread. folks who want to discuss this would continue. lol relax

11 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Look whose preaching. 

really thats your comeback.. :cantstop:

this is far deeper its not just rights of women. 

State overreach

Judiciary and lawyers

A disciplinary investigation initiated by the Council of Judges and Prosecutors against the three judges who on 18 February acquitted the Gezi trial defendants, including civil society leader Osman Kavala, was ongoing at the end of the year. The investigation followed the President’s public criticism of the acquittal decision.

In July, Parliament passed a law changing the structure of bar associations. Thousands of lawyers protested and 78 out of 80 bar associations signed a statement opposing the reform. The new law weakens the associations’ authority and independence.

Criminal investigations targeting lawyers for representing clients accused of “terrorism-related offences” continued.

In September, police detained 47 lawyers on suspicion of “membership of a terrorist organization”, based solely on their work. At least 15 lawyers were remanded in pre-trial detention. Also in September, the Court of Cassation upheld the prison sentences of 14 lawyers from the Progressive Lawyers Association, prosecuted under terrorism-related legislation.

Repression of dissent

Criminal investigations and prosecutions under anti-terrorism laws and punitive pre-trial detention continued to be used, in the absence of evidence of criminal wrongdoing, to silence dissent.

Under the guise of combating “fake news”, “incitement” or “spreading fear and panic”, the authorities used criminal law to target those discussing the COVID-19 pandemic online. The Cyber Crimes Unit of the Interior Ministry alleged that 1,105 social media users had made “propaganda for a terrorist organization”, including by “sharing provocative COVID-19 posts” between 11 March and 21 May; reportedly 510 were detained for questioning.

In October, the President targeted the Turkish Medical Association (TTB) and called its new chair “a terrorist” after the TTB repeatedly criticized the government’s response to COVID-19.

Rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people

In April, a senior state official at the Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) blamed homosexuality and people in extra-marital relationships for the spread of HIV/AIDS. He urged followers to combat this “evil” in a Friday sermon focusing on the COVID-19 pandemic, a call supported by the President. Bar associations criticizing the statements faced criminal investigation under Article 216/3 of the Penal Code that criminalizes “insulting religious values”.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/europe-and-central-asia/turkey/report-turkey/

On 6/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, zen said:

Link

Turkey withdraws from Istanbul convention, which was created to protect women from violence in Turkey. The reason being Erdogan sees the convention as an western influence. 

I saw a video where a husband threatened to kill his wife. If he kills his wife, the sentence is only 3 yrs so he said that he will be back in 3 years. Women in Turkey have begun to take martial arts lessons. 

So , just 3 years for murder of wife and then that is too much. It reminds me Borat where he puts his cattle ahead of his wife when it came to social status in khazakhstan. I thought it was OTT joke. Now I understand what he meant.

2 minutes ago, mishra said:

So , just 3 years for murder of wife and then that is too much. It reminds me Borat where he puts his cattle ahead of his wife when it came to social status in khazakhstan. I thought it was OTT joke. Now I understand what he meant.

That is what I heard on a video where the wife recorded her husband's call ... The thing to note is that if it is 3 years for murdering your wife, one could practically get away with other crimes 

2 hours ago, mishra said:

2 hours ago, zen said:

That is what I heard on a video where the wife recorded her husband's call ... The thing to note is that if it is 3 years for murdering your wife, one could practically get away with other crimes 

basically misogynist society they want to exploit women so are trying to subjugate them.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/turkey-formally-quits-treaty-prevent-violence-against-women-2021-07-01/

Erdogan defends withdrawal 

But many conservatives in Turkey and in Erdogan's Islamist-rooted AK Party say the pact undermines the family structures that protect society.

Some also see the Convention as promoting homosexuality through its principle of non-discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation.

Ditching the pact "will not lead to any legal or practical shortcoming in the prevention of violence against women," Erdogan's office said Tuesday to the administrative court that rejected the appeal.