Is it possible for coding to become obsolete in future?

MechEng

Although it may take many decades from now for coding to become an obsolete skill, I see it happening inevitably.

For example python has so many libraries, instead of writing a specific function code from scratch one can directly import functions from different libraries and not worry about syntax.

I know there is still healthy amount of coding involved, but as we move ahead towards making things easier we will stress less on coding and more on problem solving.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

STLs, codegens are fancy, but still a lot of dev happens by line coding, debugging . For apps maybe there are code gens. I usually go to GitHub and reuse open sourced solutions. Nobody learns prog from scratch or re-invent the wheel

Yes, a lot of code these days is available in stackoverflow, geeksforgeeks and etc.

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Technical solution finding will be less complex and functional solution finding will be major part in future.

I also feel that future machine learning engineers will be just mathematicians, when the no code movement will gain popularity.

Many use cases, where low code is already a reality. But no-code era is not here yet. Right, may be in couple of decades. And solutions like GitHub Copilot will look good in good hands. Complex data behavior can never be implemented using any auto generator.  Biggest issue will be, can the lazy coders who will be using these OS codegens understand what is given to them. 

Having said that, with meticulous definition of requirements AI could implement many things. It is interesting times ahead of us.

Industry se kachra saaf ho jayega, for sure.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

In embedded applications coding will always be their.

I'm not an electronics guy but I assume that in embedded systems the coding part is not as complicated as say developing a sophisticated web application. Sure they use low level languages like C, but no sophisticated coding required. That can make it easier for AI to reduce the coding part to drag and drop tool, all you need is to tune parameters.

Edited by MechEng

2 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I'm not an electronics guy but I assume that in embedded systems the coding part is not as complicated as say developing a sophisticated web application. Sure they use low level languages like C, but no sophisticated coding required. 

Writing code for real time application requires quiet a bit of knowledge of both hardware and software. I cannot comment on web applications as I dont know much but controlling busses, handshakes, memory acess with managing multiple devices on bus is not a  trivial task. May not be that code intensive but needs lot of knowledge to do all that.

Controlling audio, video imaging interrupts and timing SPI, Ethernet, USB, serial ports etc. is a skill set that always will be valued.

2 hours ago, dial_100 said:

Many use cases, where low code is already a reality. But no-code era is not here yet. Right, may be in couple of decades. And solutions like GitHub Copilot will look good in good hands. Complex data behavior can never be implemented using any auto generator.  Biggest issue will be, can the lazy coders who will be using these OS codegens understand what is given to them. 

Having said that, with meticulous definition of requirements AI could implement many things. It is interesting times ahead of us.

Industry se kachra saaf ho jayega, for sure.

Even if let's say coding is completely eliminated and replaced by drag/drop tool in a hypothetical future, software folks still need computational thought process in order to know when to use what type of functions/tools.

Machine learning was very hard in early 2000s when engineers had to code in C++ and do all the math from scratch. Now with python libraries coding in machine learning has become simplified, which is good because it becomes possible to focus on solving problems involving stochastic data.

7 minutes ago, Khota said:

Writing code for real time application requires quiet a bit of knowledge of both hardware and software. I cannot comment on web applications as I dont know much but controlling busses, handshakes, memory acess with managing multiple devices on bus is not a  trivial task. May not be that code intensive but needs lot of knowledge to do all that.

Controlling audio, video imaging interrupts and timing SPI, Ethernet, USB, serial ports etc. is a skill set that always will be valued.

I have done both, embedded system programming and now into web apps . In embedded systems, there is a limitation of memory/cpu/cores/code size etc, so we need to be experienced in those aspects. I have worked on RF, to base stations, in last innumerable years, there are no similar constructs / libraries like it is available web apps, as reqs are different 

We can use javascript or  ruby scripts with standard DB ops and build a solution for a web app, but passing  a gps location information to a radar to jam the other / enemy system needs a lot more skill or expertise in knowing about timing reqs etc.  Development of such systems needs hardcore coding skills gained over years. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I have done both, embedded system programming and now into web apps . In embedded systems, there is a limitation of memory/cpu/cores/code size etc, so we need to be experienced in those aspects. I have worked on RF, to base stations, in last innumerable years, there are no similar constructs / libraries like it is available web apps, as reqs are different 

We can use javascript or  ruby scripts with standard DB ops and build a solution for a web app, but passing  a gps location information to a radar to jam the other / enemy system needs a lot more skill or expertise in knowing about timing reqs etc.  Development of such systems needs hardcore coding skills gained over years. 

I think there will eventually be an API which can simplify low level coding on embedded systems. 

On 7/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, MechEng said:

Even if let's say coding is completely eliminated and replaced by drag/drop tool in a hypothetical future, software folks still need computational thought process in order to know when to use what type of functions/tools.

Machine learning was very hard in early 2000s when engineers had to code in C++ and do all the math from scratch. Now with python libraries coding in machine learning has become simplified, which is good because it becomes possible to focus on solving problems involving stochastic data.

No-code architecture should not be based on this use case you mentioned here. However complex it is, it has a pattern that one can implement with some work as is done with most of the M/L models.  But we are literally talking about eliminating coding jobs. That aint happening for another 20 years. 

In my experience, biggest worry is not the code itself but the bad coders. But on a bright side, come to think of it, because of bad coders, someone like me looks way too good.

In 10 years time, distribution of IT jobs will be 25 on application side and 75% on data side. With data growing so fast, cloud data management will be the key skill.  

Nope it will be GUI based. Basically you feed the system your requirements and it converts into a working code. There are already many GUI based tools in the market like Pega. For now it needs some coding knowledge but in the next 20 years or so I fully expect Product owners to directly feed the requirement in the system.

What exactly is coding?

I've never really understood. Why is it so darned important?

All I know is that a bunch of nerds type away furiously at their keyboards and do a mini victory jig/fist pump when they get a no error? message after writing 136373872 pages of codes.

Seems like an awfully dull job. Is it true that people from IITs and other such social misfits are mentally/genetically predisposed to do this kind of mundane work?

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

What exactly is coding?

I've never really understood. Why is it so darned important?

All I know is that a bunch of nerds type away furiously at their keyboards and do a mini victory jig/fist pump when they get a no error? message after writing 136373872 pages of codes.

Seems like an awfully dull job. Is it true that people from IITs and other such social misfits are mentally/genetically predisposed to do this kind of mundane work?

People with socially awkward skills generally end up in IT/computer programming.