Manchester Stats

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Even if it does not turn, this England side is very poor against pacers in the 4th innings.

Both team have issues in batting..  India batting first & England batting in 4th inns. 

Ultimately which batting unit does worse will lose it. 

Indian bowling will manage no matter who we play. 

Eng will bring back Wood which I don't think Indian batsman will mind.  He has poor average in English conditions. 

20 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Yes.

But getting out for 78 cannot be justified. Which is why the batting needs to be strengthened and batters must apply themselves.

Don't defend deliveries that are clearly not hitting the stumps ... don't poke outside the off stump ... defend with soft hands .... play late ... put away the loose balls.

They know all of the above and are capable of implementing all of the above if they apply their minds to the task.

If conditions are really that bad, batsmen can't do mucb and their bowling is too good in swinging conditions.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Only one man can get smith right now. His name boom boom bumrah. Bumrah dismissing smith in that second test turned things around for india. 

What a bowler he is. Best ever Asian pacer imo of all time based on his exploits alone. I don't give a crap about longevity. Yes longevity matters but his impact, ability to dismantle teams single handedly and how unplayable he is when he is on song makes him the best ever Asian pacer. 

You are ebaoksutely right. Smith is GOAT. What a player he truly is. 

he is equal to 4 players. Serious man. Taking him out is like taking 4 players out. 

Australian team is very underrated. Smith Warner labsuhagne their bowling plus Paine who is probably their second best keeper bat after Gilly is a great side. 

Thing is when Smith gets rolling he is the most unstoppable force in the history of cricket.

Many ATGs have 500+ series, Smith when he gets going registers 700+ series and never looks like getting out, already done that 4-5 times in the last 7 years. 2015 Ashes was a failure for him, guess what he scored 500+ runs with one 200 and one 100....that is the benchmark for a freak like him. 

And on the tough pitches of 2017 India series he scored 499 with 3 100s against Umesh-Ashwin-Jaddu, Kohli scored 30 odd runs. 

This is a top Australian team: Warner, Labu, GOAT Smith and 3-4 ok support cast in top 7. And an outstanding bowling attack. Easily better team than 1990-1995 and 2007-15 Australia, probably better than 1996-98 team as well. People are underrating them because we beat them...wait till Eng, NZ tour Aus. Aussies are mad as hell after the humiliation against India, whoever faces them in the future is going to get mauled. India is the only side that can tame the beast in its backyard that too only if we keep Smith on a leash. If Smith enters God mode (difficult against our bowlers) we will be swatted like bugs with this chwtiya batting lineup, when buried under a mountain of runs that ATG Aussie bowling unit will be a different beast as NZ found out last year. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Forward Defence said:

Probably the most relevant stat is England's record at this ground. They have lost only twice in the 21st century in 16 matches and won 12 times. The only loss other than the 2019 loss to Australia was way back in 2001 against Pakistan. Inzamam scored a century and 85 and Saqlain got 4 in the 4th innings aided by good bowling from Wasim Waqar and Razzaq. 

Seems like a brisbane....

24 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Thing is when Smith gets rolling he is the most unstoppable force in the history of cricket.

Many ATGs have 500+ series, Smith when he gets going registers 700+ series and never looks like getting out, already done that 4-5 times in the last 7 years. 2015 Ashes was a failure for him, guess what he scored 500+ runs with one 200 and one 100....that is the benchmark for a freak like him. 

And on the tough pitches of 2017 India series he scored 499 with 3 100s against Umesh-Ashwin-Jaddu, Kohli scored 30 odd runs. 

This is a top Australian team: Warner, Labu, GOAT Smith and 3-4 ok support cast in top 7. And an outstanding bowling attack. Easily better team than 1990-1995 and 2007-15 Australia, probably better than 1996-98 team as well. People are underrating them because we beat them...wait till Eng, NZ tour Aus. Aussies are mad as hell after the humiliation against India, whoever faces them in the future is going to get mauled. India is the only side that can tame the beast in its backyard that too only if we keep Smith on a leash. If Smith enters God mode (difficult against our bowlers) we will be swatted like bugs with this chwtiya batting lineup, when buried under a mountain of runs that ATG Aussie bowling unit will be a different beast as NZ found out last year. 

Was literally just about to post something eerily similar. You spoke my mind. 

He is a genius. I totally agree the only bowling lineup that ha she ruthless aggression and jazba, Jannoon, jaggudar, masti walk, jaan marne Walla fast bowlers to hurt smith is india

Salute to the world class indian attack. One of the best ever pace attacks. Add in GOAT ashwin and jaddu.

Yep. This Aussie side is their second best team of all time. Only behind goat Aussies of 1999-2007. 

Just wait till pussies of englund come here. I am waiting to see them get wrecked here in Brisbane. 

Remember this is apparently GOAT n.z team rofl. What happened in Australia? GOAT n.z got humiliated, molested and literally (insert r word). 

India seriously has no motivation to play Kiwis. There is no passion, mo animosity. India need that to get fired up. That's the honest truth. I really hope they take them as seriously as they do australia when they tour away. 

About time we decimate the Kiwis phony fake nice guys. 

41 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Both team have issues in batting..  India batting first & England batting in 4th inns. 

Eng will bring back Wood which I don't think Indian batsman will mind.  He has poor average in English conditions. 

He is a poor chewt everywhere. They think he will be some God tier enforcer in Australia. Just wait till he tours Aussies. 

Edited by Jay
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Yes.

But getting out for 78 cannot be justified. Which is why the batting needs to be strengthened and batters must apply themselves.

Don't defend deliveries that are clearly not hitting the stumps ... don't poke outside the off stump ... defend with soft hands .... play late ... put away the loose balls.

They know all of the above and are capable of implementing all of the above if they apply their minds to the task.

Ground reality is painfully different. People don't need to justify anything because "outside noise doesn't matter" "only important people are criticized".

If Pujara and Rahane are playing, I would rather want India to bowl on a green pitch with overcast conditions. Our openers are good but if one of them goes, it feels like floodgates open up. At least on days 2,3 you can expect Chepu to get a few easy runs.

Edited by Samcric
16 minutes ago, Jay said:

He is a poor chewt everywhere. They think he will be some God tier enforcer in Australia. Just wait till he tours Aussies. 

He will be good one to have in Australia..  He does extracts good bounce & zip.  He will probably be quicker than Starc on average on those pitches.  I rate him above Archer as he maintains his top speeds for a longer while. 

He will be useless in most parts but not in Australia.  If he knew how to reverse he would be lethal. 

10 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Ground reality is painfully different. People don't need to justify anything because "outside noise doesn't matter" "only important people are criticized".

If Pujara and Rahane are playing, I would rather want India to bowl on a green pitch with overcast conditions. Our openers are good but if one of them goes, it feels like floodgates open up. At least on days 2,3 you can expect Chepu to get a few easy runs.

BBC weather says that there will be clouds on all days with light rain in patches from days 2 to 5 ... and a thunderstorm on day 1.

Possibility is ... swing bowlers will get aid on most days / all days.

Given this situation, I shudder to think what will happen if we have to chase in the 4th innings with important people filling up the batting line-up.

Looking at ground records Edgbaston has been the most successful venue for England historically. But in the recent past Old Trafford has been the best for them. There are minor venues like Chester le Street and Cardiff where they have never lost. Old Trafford is statistically the most impregnable English fortress since 1970 atleast.

27 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

If there is weather around then ind can't do much ,it will be advantage eng.Hopefully the pacers aren't too exhausted.

Rain around means not much play for first three days. Pace bowlers will have enough time for recovery. Definitely day 1 and 2 90 perc washout. It ll be a 2.5 days game. No resevre day but play will go on till light permits. My guess is 280 to 300 overs to be played.. 

The odds are stacked against us. Manchester has always been a place with horrible weather (when the english term it as a bad weather, you know its horrible). but it offers some help for spinners even if its wet which it always is. Ashwin is a must. Only a loser like rat will not play him. Either he sees him as a threat. I don't know. Jaddu hasn't been effective this series and is probably tired. Ashwin is waiting in the wings with 400+ wickets. Give rat a :brick: to wake him up.

rat and the tm should think win first if not, then draw rather than aim for a draw thinking weather will save us in which case we are bound to lose. we are defo losing this if hahane is persisted with. he must go. i would rather put venky prasad at 5 rather than this mental midget. Either Vihari/Mayank/SKY should play and bring Ashwin and Shami for Jaddu and Siraj. Vihari hasn't put a foot wrong since SCG where his knock and partnership with Ashwin was crucial to a draw. He deserves a shot. I guess Bumrah has to bite the bullet and play. Its an important series and needs to apply the finishing touches. But I won't be surprised if Kohli shows up at the toss and says no change in the lineup :laugh:

3 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Rain around means not much play for first three days. Pace bowlers will have enough time for recovery. Definitely day 1 and 2 90 perc washout. It ll be a 2.5 days game. No resevre day but play will go on till light permits. My guess is 280 to 300 overs to be played.. 

In 2014 we lost by an innings with less than 200 overs bowled in the whole match. The good thing is we will probably go into this with much higher confidence. However another apalling performance especially in batting is not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Just now, Forward Defence said:

SKY or Mayank for Rahane , 1 among Ash/Jad at 7 and Thakur at 8 seems most likely. Have a suspicion that SKY will get the nod specially after Kohli got him to field in close in positions in the last match. 

SKY isnt a Test player. Mayank has huge technical issues

Vihari deserves a chance after Sydney. Shaw too maybe

27 minutes ago, express bowling said:

BBC weather says that there will be clouds on all days with light rain in patches from days 2 to 5 ... and a thunderstorm on day 1.

Possibility is ... swing bowlers will get aid on most days / all days.

Given this situation, I shudder to think what will happen if we have to chase in the 4th innings with important people filling up the batting line-up.

England can very easily draw this series if they win the toss bat first and post a decent total.

India defending on Day 5 will not happen. I can see us being bowled out. As you said Rahane the Walking Wicket opens the pathway to the lower order for the English bowlers.

18 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

The odds are stacked against us. Manchester has always been a place with horrible weather (when the english term it as a bad weather, you know its horrible). but it offers some help for spinners even if its wet which it always is. Ashwin is a must. Only a loser like rat will not play him. Either he sees him as a threat. I don't know. Jaddu hasn't been effective this series and is probably tired. Ashwin is waiting in the wings with 400+ wickets. Give rat a :brick: to wake him up.

rat and the tm should think win first if not, then draw rather than aim for a draw thinking weather will save us in which case we are bound to lose. we are defo losing this if hahane is persisted with. he must go. i would rather put venky prasad at 5 rather than this mental midget. Either Vihari/Mayank/SKY should play and bring Ashwin and Shami for Jaddu and Siraj. Vihari hasn't put a foot wrong since SCG where his knock and partnership with Ashwin was crucial to a draw. He deserves a shot. I guess Bumrah has to bite the bullet and play. Its an important series and needs to apply the finishing touches. But I won't be surprised if Kohli shows up at the toss and says no change in the lineup :laugh:

Kohli will NOT risk his reputation and have Ashwin play.

Imagine if Ashwin plays and he terrorizes the Poms? Kohli will look like a bigger clown.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

I must admit I will be surprised that Kohli will risk drawing the series and play Rahane.

I would have thought he would place himself ahead of Rahane then Team India and play someone who could a decent job at 5, be it SKY, Mayank or Vihari.