IPL should have an associate player quota

QuarantineTormentino

BCCI should make it mandatory for all franchises to have one spot reserved for players from associate nations. This can probably be done by increasing the max squad size and max overseas slots by 1. This will help promote cricket in more countries, and also bring in more viewership as well. We currently have very few good sides playing cricket, time for BCCI to put its power in world cricket to good use and do something to better the game

People ask questions like how it would be useful for BCCI. If players from these countries get access to world-class coaching and facilities, that will reflect in their team's performance, it may help their respective boards to develop a cricketing structure. People will get to know more faces, smaller boards like Zimbabwe may look to play against these teams more often. We need better competition in International Cricket.

The big three should help lesser boards like Zim, Afg, Scotland, etc. There is a lot of potential for cricket in some European countries and even China-HK. With more countries getting involved, these boards will have more earning opportunities. Lack of competition makes International cricket boring, that's why people like the IPL more.

1 hour ago, Chakdephatte said:

The big three should help lesser boards like Zim, Afg, Scotland, etc.

You mean the big One ? Pretty sure intl cricket would die if you take India out of it, not so with Eng/Oz out - if the lesser boards want more money they should ask their govt for it!

14 minutes ago, speedheat said:

No way please, not needed.

If they are good enough they will be picked.

So many third class ordinary Indian players get picked due to Indian Quota restrictions. Surely to pick one Associate player per side,  whose skills would be on par with someone like let's say Lalit Yadav , wouldn't be a bad decision. 

2 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

People ask questions like how it would be useful for BCCI. If players from these countries get access to world-class coaching and facilities, that will reflect in their team's performance, it may help their respective boards to develop a cricketing structure. People will get to know more faces, smaller boards like Zimbabwe may look to play against these teams more often. We need better competition in International Cricket.

It will also get more eyeballs following IPL from those countries

25 minutes ago, sage said:

It will also get more eyeballs following IPL from those countries

Does that mean much?

I mean how many Irish people are even there? How many of them will follow the IPL because some Irish guy plays for an IPL side.

But if the IPL sides were to pick a player from a tier 2/tier 3 city, it would definitely translate into more viewership.

8 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Does that mean much?

I mean how many Irish people are even there? How many of them will follow the IPL because some Irish guy plays for an IPL side.

But if the IPL sides were to pick a player from a tier 2/tier 3 city, it would definitely translate into more viewership.

True, but at least the boards will get a cut from the players salary and that will help their finances. Plus I don’t think Afghanistan and Ireland are associate sides anymore. Both have players good enough to get picked on merit (Afghan players are already getting picked). Imagine 2-3 players from one associate side getting picked due to this quota…will help their boards a lot

1 hour ago, rageaddict said:

So many third class ordinary Indian players get picked due to Indian Quota restrictions. Surely to pick one Associate player per side,  whose skills would be on par with someone like let's say Lalit Yadav , wouldn't be a bad decision. 

Because this is the Indian Premier League, Indians are bound to be selected.

As I previously stated, if they are good enough, they will be picked.

Rayen ten doeschate, Sandip lammichanne, tim David are examples.

6 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

There is a lot of potential for cricket in some European countries and even China-HK. With more countries getting involved, these boards will have more earning opportunities.

It's useless trying to spread cricket into Europe. Their national cricket teams are made up of Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans. Football is too big there for cricket to make any sort of impact. They should try to spread the game in countries where locals make up the national teams, like African nations or smaller Southeast Asian nations.

6 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

I think it would be more useful to let associate players into our domestic cricket system. Play full seasons across various formats - T20, 50-over and 5-day cricket. Bring them into club-level and state-level cricket. India is such a huge country with so many local cricket clubs. Imagine how much more beneficial it would be for the development of a player from say Rwanda or Myanmar to play local club cricket even in Goa or Kerala if not some of the bigger cricketing states.

12 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

I think it would be more useful to let associate players into our domestic cricket system. Play full seasons across various formats - T20, 50-over and 5-day cricket. Bring them into club-level and state-level cricket. India is such a huge country with so many local cricket clubs. Imagine how much more beneficial it would be for the development of a player from say Rwanda or Myanmar to play local club cricket even in Goa or Kerala if not some of the bigger cricketing states.

Don't think it is plausible. India is a low income country. Cricketers from Scotland, Netherlands, etc., would not come to India to earn 5-7 lakhs. But they will come running after the paychecks in IPL. Inviting cricketers from lesser known countries like PNG, Bermuda, etc., would be useless.

Edited by Chakdephatte

1 hour ago, Chakdephatte said:

Don't think it is plausible. India is a low income country. Cricketers from Scotland, Netherlands, etc., would not come to India to earn 5-7 lakhs. But they will come running after the paychecks in IPL. Inviting cricketers from lesser known countries like PNG, Bermuda, etc., would be useless.

I'm not talking about Scotland, Netherlands anyway. Like I said, I think they should try to develop cricket in poorer countries like African and Southeast Asian nations. I don't see IPL helping develop players from Scotland and Netherlands anyway so it won't make a difference. Lower-ranked nations need to develop players who are versatile and can play all 3 formats well, rather than produce players who can slog a few in T20 but get bundled out in 50 overs and Tests.