Umran Malik - 150 kph Indian pace sensation

Texan

15 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Love this title !!

This is how Indian Fast Bowlers should be promoted.

Lots of respect for Irfan Pathan for the work he has done on Umran ... and for this tweet too 

You are a hero Irfan !  :hatsoff:

P.S .. Irfan, please piss on Sanju Manju's picture every morning, before you start your day. 

Edited by express bowling
On 10/3/2021 at 11:05 PM, ShoonyaSifar said:

Rope in Steyn as the bowling consultant for National Cricket Academy working with the India A side and u-19.

Mahambrey has been good but not sure if he can help these young quicks sustain their pace.

Agree on principle. The bowling coach for pace bowlers has to be someone who jas bowled tearaway pace himself. The fine inputs from experience of bowling at that pace will be more helpful.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:21 PM, ShoonyaSifar said:

Aah. Saini in 2019 bowled at least a dozen deliveries over 150! Even Prasidh touched 150 in 2019. Plus we had Shami and Aaron bowling 150! Check this link https://www.iplt20.com/stats/2019/fastest-balls

Siraj and Mavi touched 150 in 2018

Then on the same link if you look at previous seasons, both Umesh and Aaron have touched 150/149.5+ multiple times.

Umran is getting more attention because he is only 21 and has come out of nowhere whereas the others had played some FC cricket before touching 150.

I think...Malik not only bowled fast but in good areas...

May be ...he is being hyped for the same reason

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I don't know why we don't see such actions with more young Indian pacers.

Irfan Pathan needs to be made in charge of Indian pacers during their development stage.

Just curious, I know he is very raw.

Do you rate him? Do you think he has the skillset and body to be a legit Tait or Lee?

3 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Just curious, I know he is very raw.

Do you rate him? Do you think he has the skillset and body to be a legit Tait or Lee?

A few points that stand out regarding Umran are

.... Action ideal for bowling express

.... Has hyper-extension

.... Has a good run-up

.... He has crossed 150 kph in all 3 matches, meaning he is not dependant on being in great rhythm to bowl express. And he is not just touching 150 k but going well beyond 

.... Looks strong enough for his age.

.... Is sufficiently accurate for his extreme pace

.... Bowling this speed at age 21, when pacers are not at their quickest.

All these points give us hope that he may not be a flash in the pan.

The BCCI must manage his workload properly.

Edited by express bowling
12 hours ago, express bowling said:

A few points that stand out regarding Umran are

.... Action ideal for bowling express

.... Has hyper-extension

.... Has a good run-up

.... He has crossed 150 kph in all 3 matches, meaning he is not dependant on being in great rhythm to bowl express. And he is not just touching 150 k but going well beyond 

.... Looks strong enough for his age.

.... Is sufficiently accurate for his extreme pace

.... Bowling this speed at age 21, when pacers are not at their quickest.

All these points give us hope that he may not be a flash in the pan.

The BCCI must manage his workload properly.

Thanks for that.

I highlighted the two most important aspects of your post from my perspective.

150 is standard and that is to be applauded however when you combine that with the second bold point, accuracy. He becomes a lethal weapon.

If he gets the right education, by that I mean street smarts in bowling, where to bowl, when to bowl bouncers, slower bowls, etc etc he will improve his armory by double.

He didnt look physically much judging by a few youtube clips, but I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt here. At his young age, his ability to strengthen his body and build serious muscle in the right areas is very doable.

Do you believe he will be the one? Or another Indian causality of try to be a fast bowler.

5 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Thanks for that.

I highlighted the two most important aspects of your post from my perspective.

150 is standard and that is to be applauded however when you combine that with the second bold point, accuracy. He becomes a lethal weapon.

If he gets the right education, by that I mean street smarts in bowling, where to bowl, when to bowl bouncers, slower bowls, etc etc he will improve his armory by double.

He didnt look physically much judging by a few youtube clips, but I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt here. At his young age, his ability to strengthen his body and build serious muscle in the right areas is very doable.

Do you believe he will be the one? Or another Indian causality of try to be a fast bowler.

He is already fast, so not trying to be one. There should be no tinkering with his bowling. Just needs to make sure he gets the right trainer, taken care of the diet and his workout plans to make him stronger. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

He is already fast, so not trying to be one. There should be no tinkering with his bowling. Just needs to make sure he gets the right trainer, taken care of the diet and his workout plans to make him stronger. 

I think what he is saying is whether Umran can have a long enough career as a successful fast bowler bowling quickly.

Something that Bumrah and Shami have done and even Umesh to some extent. And Aaron, Sreesanth, Munaf, RP have failed at. Saini is going the same way.

Bowling well and bowling quickly ... doing this in tandem ... for a long to longish career ... has to be the goal.

7 hours ago, SRT100 said:

We do have a fast bowling culture in Team India now, starting around 2015 or thereabouts.

If he has the motivation to be a top bowler then Umran will get the system and the knowhow regarding how to manage his body and sharpen his skills while maintaining his pace.

The main factors will be whether he has the drive to excel and how he is able to cope with injuries.

Let's hope that Umran can join  Bumrah and Shami as successful quick bowlers from India.

29 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We do have a fast bowling culture in Team India now, starting around 2015 or thereabouts.

If he has the motivation to be a top bowler then Umran will get the system and the knowhow regarding how to manage his body and sharpen his skills while maintaining his pace.

The main factors will be whether he has the drive to excel and how he is able to cope with injuries.

Let's hope that Umran can join  Bumrah and Shami as successful quick bowlers from India.

Thanks for that. Very interesting, yes I agree around that time period, India did excel with its fast bowlers.

I think also its important for India to give these kids the opportunity to play them, when the team is doing well and on the up so to gain confidence of being in a winning culture. Australia did this well with new young players. Played them in superior teams to gain that confidence and comfort of not being relied on so heavily.

India also need to move on and go past players like Ishant, his time has come and gone. His body is not like Anderson.

What I would really like also is a player like him to be managed properly and played on tracks that suit him and also to not be over bowled.

India has a history of losing fast bowlers to injury and then for them never coming back or coming back lesser the player they were.

I think more so in India this is relevant because of the conditions and state of some of the pitches.

47 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think what he is saying is whether Umran can have a long enough career as a successful fast bowler bowling quickly.

Something that Bumrah and Shami have done and even Umesh to some extent. And Aaron, Sreesanth, Munaf, RP have failed at. Saini is going the same way.

Bowling well and bowling quickly ... doing this in tandem ... for a long to longish career ... has to be the goal.

Thanks, exactly what I meant, as I mentioned in the above post before i saw this.

Also his bowling action needs to be scrutinized by experts to ensure its not going to cause a potential long term injury further down the path. In Australia many fast bowlers actions are modified a bit so as to not place to much pressure on strain on back, shoulder etc etc.

Aaron and Munaf had great potential its disappointing they failed. I think if they were coming though now as kids, they would have a wonderful career with India. They came through at time I think there was not the emphasis or the resources??? Is this correct? Your thoughts???

Yes, bowling well, bowling quickly and bowling in a healthy manner so there is no development of long term injuries in the future, be it 2-5 years later.

1 minute ago, SRT100 said:

Thanks, exactly what I meant, as I mentioned in the above post before i saw this.

Also his bowling action needs to be scrutinized by experts to ensure its not going to cause a potential long term injury further down the path. In Australia many fast bowlers actions are modified a bit so as to not place to much pressure on strain on back, shoulder etc etc.

Aaron and Munaf had great potential its disappointing they failed. I think if they were coming though now as kids, they would have a wonderful career with India. They came through at time I think there was not the emphasis or the resources??? Is this correct? Your thoughts???

Yes, bowling well, bowling quickly and bowling in a healthy manner so there is no development of long term injuries in the future, be it 2-5 years later.

His action isn't that bad. Very difficult for side on bowlers to get their alignment right. It is not impossible but needs someone who knows how to do it.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, neel roy said:

Long time.. pardon me i havent ever seen any.. aaron was the nearest but he too was max 145/146

Aaron is the fastest Indian bowler ever on average speed alone

I have not seen any Indian bowl as near his pace in int'l cricket,we are quite unlucky that we couldn't see more of him due to injuries even in IPL he has been super quick then comes Umesh who was consistently 145+ till 2017

Edited by Suhaan
12 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Munaf was outright lazy and would not bend his back, there were a few occasions when he did in 2006 and bowled decent speeds otherwise just a poor man's Venkatesh prasad with less skillset, Aaron was shaping up well in test cricket 2015, he then got injured, Umesh improved, ishant became the leader of the attack and shami made a comeback so Aaron went down in the pecking order

10 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Aaron is the fastest Indian bowler ever on average speed alone

I have not seen any Indian bowl as near his pace in int'l cricket,we are quite unfortunate that we couldn't see of him more due to injuries even in IPL he has been super quick then comes Umesh who was consistently 145+ till 2017

What is the highest speed by an Indian?

Was there not a fast bowling competition in India a few years back?