Does KL Rahul at his best bats like AB de Villiers?

Majestic

Just watched the highlights of KL Rahul's inning vs CSK where he played with full freedom. It was really a pleasure watching him display an unbelievable range of shots and the ease with which he took apart the bowling was top notch.

We have barely seen ABD bat as opener but KL Rahul when he doesn't bother about the S/R stuff and holding the inning at one end, he literally possess the talent and versatility level that very few in the game has. As an opener, if he can bring this game in the World T20, it would really be great from an Indian point of view because he has got a wide array of shots, can hit all round the ground and with quite an ease.

yes if KL bats in aggressive way he has the ability of ABDV or atleast can get 70%-80% close to him which it self wud be great.

KL has classical + power + range game . He is massively gifted , most gifted batsman in India after Rohit sharma

This ability was the reason i was adamant on him being given a long run in middle before 2019 Wc, in the end they wasted that time n now he is our settled middle order player in ODI

Give him confidence (which means he shud never be on edge for his place) and give him license to play freely. He also shud stop emulating Kohli n Rohit style of slow starts (he can start quickly unlike those 2 so he shud )

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Tell him to play the aggressor role in Wc, Rohit n kohli are enough to play anchor roles.

Captain n coach has to convey that even a 40 in 20-25 balls is good for team so play for team , 40 in 35 balls can win u orange caps but not matches

If  Pandya, Jadeja or even  Pant come  in before the 10th over means it’s curtains for India 9/10 times. 

Even Sky doesn’t inspire 100% confidence. while I do admit I didn’t think he will be any good,  but since have changed my mind. Loved his composure at the crease and how smoothly he was timing the ball the last few times I saw him .

However still think he is not a long term solution. I feel, he is one of those average batsman who hit a peak for a few months to a couple of years were they look great. Happened with plenty of such batsmen.

45 minutes ago, maniac said:

If  Pandya, Jadeja or even  Pant come  in before the 10th over means it’s curtains for India 9/10 times. 

3 players are enough for 10 overs, these 3 have done it in ODI in last 1-2 yrs quite a few times

As far as confidence is concerned no one will have untill its done time n again . The example ppl give of Raina n yuvi is easy to give after they ended their career forgetting the mighty inconsistency they had. 

Even Sky doesn’t inspire 100% confidence. while I do admit I didn’t think he will be any good,  but since have changed my mind. Loved his composure at the crease and how smoothly he was timing the ball the last few times I saw him .

No one will inspire confidence in such short careers, neither did kohli, rohit , dhawan, yuvi, raina or anyone

However still think he is not a long term solution. I feel, he is one of those average batsman who hit a peak for a few months to a couple of years were they look great. Happened with plenty of such batsmen.

Hahaha.........WTF does that mean?

Peak just doesnt come n go like that specially in this age. One - two bad series n ppl go bonkers............let me repeat for gazillion times it has happened to every batsman not just 1-2 bad series but years also. 

Every one looks great in peak n avg in downfall. Even yuvraj singh  was nothing but pure frustration in his 1st n last few yrs if u remove the peak.

Sky can easily give us 3-4 yrs and thats enough , their arent many batsman with such skill set in Indian cricket in LOI currently. 

Cant everyone see pretty much most batsman are struggling here..............aise pagla kyun rhe hai sab. Ppl compared sky n livingstone , well both are struggling coz these pitches arent exactly suited for stroke players n infact very tough for guys in middle.

9 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

He is massively gifted , most gifted batsman in India after Rohit sharma

Rishab Pant is the most gifted batsman in the world.

Both ability wise and mentally.

He is the only one who matches Ab devilliers, can play 360 shots like him and can be more destructive than anyone in the world when he is on fire. 

14 minutes ago, Adamant said:

He is the only one who matches Ab devilliers, can play 360 shots like him and can be more destructive than anyone in the world when he is on fire. 

Pant's fastest 50 is in 18 balls, Rahul 14 balls. Rahul has another one in 17, and one in 19. Both have a 360° game, pant is only better at playing behind the wicket. Pant has a more powerful bat swing, Rahul relies on his muscles. Rahul has a better hitting form which helps him to hit sixes without slogging much.

13 minutes ago, Adamant said:

No Pant is the closest to Devilliers not Rahul. 

Pant has more similarities with Abd.

Edited by Chakdephatte
50 minutes ago, Adamant said:

KL classical game is much much better then rishabh n power game agar KL apni aukaat pe aaye he is second to none

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
30 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

His classical game isnt as good as ABDV

Playing scoop, paddle sweep, and shuffling across is not classical. The De Villiers we saw in Test cricket was a different one. All three KL, Pant, and him are a mix of textbook+innovative batting. ABD had a perfect form and a stable hitting base, Pant sometimes flails around. Both used to swing hard and hard in IPL during their best days. KL has a more stable head than both, slogs the least out of the three.

48 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Pant is more like gilly.

Haven't watched. I was not saying his batting 'looks' similar to ABD. It was that Pant looks the ideal replacement to him among all young batsmen.

16 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

ur talking in regds to whom ?/

These shots show range- KL n ABDV has range, power n classical game

Pant has power, range but lacks classical one 

Why replying to just one line? I adressed it in just the next line.

19 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

All three KL, Pant, and him are a mix of textbook+innovative batting. ABD had a perfect form and a stable hitting base, Pant sometimes flails around.

And Pant lacks classical game, so his square cuts and cover drives are what? He just needs to learn to mix them with his other shots in shorter formats, was doing that in England ODIs.

Just now, Chakdephatte said:

Why replying to just one line? I adressed it in just the next line.

And Pant lacks classical game, so his square cuts and cover drives are what? He just needs to learn to mix them with his other shots in shorter formats, was doing that in England ODIs.

that alone is just doesnt make u classical

His defense isnt that good neither his balance 

In short format i think he needs to bat in top 3 wahi pe saari malai hai 

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

In short format i think he needs to bat in top 3 wahi pe saari malai hai 

Yes.

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

His defense isnt that good neither his balance.

That's what I meant when I said flailing around, his balance is an issue. He is playing for some years now. Why it is not improving, is it because of fitness? He was in a good shape in his U-19 days but his body didn't move in sync with his arms. 

Edited by Chakdephatte
5 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

Yes.

That's what I meant when I said flailing around, his balance is an issue. He is playing for some years now. Why it is not improving, is it because of fitness? He was in a good shape in his U-19 days but his body didn't move in sync with his arms. 

it works for him, he just needs to have better shot selection which will come with experience 

Balance probem is coz a lot of times he tried to hit it to hard loosing his balance, this will get better with time

u-19 men itne testing bowler nhin hote aur opposition ko weak areas itne pata bhi nhin hote

4 hours ago, Adamant said:

Rahul is technically more correct though, has better defense and has the temperament in test cricket to bat for 200+ balls which Pant lacks currently. Pant is at his best when he is looking to play shots and getting the feel of ball on bat.

Another similarity I feel between KL and ABD in test cricket is their lapses of concentration. They would be batting so well for two hours but then get out all of a sudden. Unfortunately, KL has been mentally so weak that he is still far from reaching to average of 40+ in test cricket.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:17 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Tell him to play the aggressor role in Wc, Rohit n kohli are enough to play anchor roles.

Captain n coach has to convey that even a 40 in 20-25 balls is good for team so play for team , 40 in 35 balls can win u orange caps but not matches

he'll bat differently for sure