Global Hunger Index ranks India at 101 out of 116 countries

Singh bling

Pretty pertinent questions raised on the methodology for this report. Not to state that everything is good in India. I am sure there are many things for the govt to improve on in this area. 

Also, do vegetarian diets or lentil based diets get dinged compared to meat diets according to the food reports created? In almost all midday schemes in India meat and eggs are not a part of the diet. Rather dhal and rice are. Is this considered to be automatically undernourishment? 

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@coffee_rules 

Was the methodology any different when India scored a 37.4 in 2006 against a mere 27.5 now? Was it not based on estimation, extrapolation, projection etc etc then?

Or is the 'oh they have a pre-set narrative' only a convenient tag to use when the output is not to your liking? 

They have explained their methodology quite clearly here, with assumptions in their addendums. The very first line says that the research is peer reviewed. 

I find it odd that no other nation has found flaws in the method. Or if they have, they've either kept mum ignoring the result or accepted the findings. Our government on the other hand is hell bent on telling the world we maybe bad but not that bad. 

I don’t think we should be worried about what other countries do or say. The index and ranking should align with ground reality. Or atleast there should be a coherent methodology that calculates hunger. If India’s hunger ranking is worse than Pakistan when we have a crop surplus, when 80 cr people are on free ration since more than a year, it is a relevant question to ask if India is in fact hungrier. 

Now like most other rankings, one should take it with grain of salt. Using the ranking to dive deeper to understand the ground realities. 

During congress time every imagined thing was highlighted a million times. The country was doomed, etc etc. Now when we have actual numbers and cause to worry, no one can question the current government 

If this is not a cult over country, i don't know what is

But then this is true of every populist government in history. Big leaders talking big but very little actual substance 

9 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

I don’t think we should be worried about what other countries do or say. The index and ranking should align with ground reality. Or atleast there should be a coherent methodology that calculates hunger. If India’s hunger ranking is worse than Pakistan when we have a crop surplus, when 80 cr people are on free ration since more than a year, it is a relevant question to ask if India is in fact hungrier. 

Now like most other rankings, one should take it with grain of salt. Using the ranking to dive deeper to understand the ground realities. 

The methodology doesnt matter if we can see we have gone backwards using the same methodlog

.you were using the same methods to bash cobgress like no tomorrow despite india doing way better under then

Rest is just excuses to defend your beloved cult party and its leader over the country 

Edited by New guy

3 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Whose post are you responding to ?  Was there mention of any party or any leader ? 

Do you need to mention it? Isnt it obvious? 

Also, if we only used self reported nunbers by any government instead of neutral parties, every government will be the perfect paradise on earth

Just now, New guy said:

Do you need to mention it? Isnt it obvious? 

Also, if we only used self reported nunbers by any government instead of neutral parties, every government will be the perfect paradise on earth

Ah yes. So you are making assumptions. You should occasionally break out of woke partisan mindset and focus on issue. 

This is ranking for India. Not a party. All methodology should be stress tested whether it’s national statistic or international one. And if there are clear learnings it should be adopted. 

40 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Pretty pertinent questions raised on the methodology for this report. Not to state that everything is good in India. I am sure there are many things for the govt to improve on in this area. 

Also, do vegetarian diets or lentil based diets get dinged compared to meat diets according to the food reports created? In almost all midday schemes in India meat and eggs are not a part of the diet. Rather dhal and rice are. Is this considered to be automatically undernourishment? 

very interesting indeed. 

This is turning out to be like the Reuters Foundation ranking India is the worst country for women safety based on opinion polls. This is nothing but fodder for atrocity literature. Not saying India should be  good in all indices, mere questioning the methodology becomes a reason for name calling here. I have seen many homeless in US. Based on that one picture, I can claim that IS has most number of homeless. My kids’ school runs a cafeteria even during Covid when schools are closed. A lot of parents depend on school food to feed their kids. Food stamps (welfare) is pretty common way to pay for groceries for some. 

if we have food surplus, this index in a wake up call to fix PDS for BPL, direct benefit instead of middlemen cuts a lot of problems

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

When you had dubious methods used for EoDB rankings, you had govt including PM jumping up and down, because it suited their narrative. 

When there is unfavorable hunger index, everyone suddenly questions approach.

Talk about hypocrisy of current govt. 

Govt, politicians and human beings are hypocrites by their very nature. 

That still doesn’t change the fact that this report was done over telephone. At some point all of us want to understand ground reality of our country. I would like to see a good analysis of how this report captures ground reality of nutrition in India with any tangible example. Any LWers please feel free to share because at the moment, the ranking feels like satire. 

I agree. This index whether right or wrong, it is time we bring more focus on this aspect of ours. 

We are the country with a concept of 56 bhog. There are many who enjoy 56 bhog meal and yet we have starvation in our country. I wish opposition focuses on this issue so that it benefits poor people of the country.

We should seriously work on poor people and at least food should be provided. A systematic measures should be used so that we know if it is working or not.

Btw, I dont believe in these numbers provided by this GHI but it is a different topic. 

3 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Govt, politicians and human beings are hypocrites by their very nature. 

That still doesn’t change the fact that this report was done over telephone. At some point all of us want to understand ground reality of our country. I would like to see a good analysis of how this report captures ground reality of nutrition in India with any tangible example. Any LWers please feel free to share because at the moment, the ranking feels like satire. 

You're asking LWers, what about RWers quoting EoDB calculated with flawed approach, and spreading it as success. 

If RWers can call it a success, LWers can call it GHI failure without questioning methodology.

RWers can't have it both ways.