Rank them on 10 in Test Cricket

From the list in the OP, I can only see myself picking Gavaskar in my 11 (based on ability to play both pace and spin relatively better compared to other such “great” openers), so ranking would be pointless. 

In an Ind 11, most from this list would make it - Kapil, Tendulkar, Kohli, Dravid, & Bumrah. 

I prefer players like Mankad, Chandra, etc., more. Spinners post 1990 would not make it.

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, Cricspin said:

Gavaskar - 9.7/10

Kapil Dev - 9.3/10

Sachin Tendulkar- 9.2 /10( I like Sachin more than Gavaskar and enjoy his batting more but Giving Gavaskar better scores for being an opener and doing what he did)

Rahul Dravid - 9.2/10 

Ashwin- 9/10 

Jadeja - 8.8 /10

Anil Kumble - 8.5/10 ( placing kumble below both Ashwin and Jadeja. I know kumble was a fighter and I watched his entire career)

Virat Kohli - 8/10 being generous.

Bumrah - 7.8/10

So overall Gavaskar is my top Test player for India though Tendulkar was best to watch.

Gavaskar scoring centuries in the WI against arguably the greatest pace attack ever assembled in cricket is akin to a modern day sub continent player scoring centuries in every country in SENA.

Sachin is the best batsman I have ever seen. I believe Sunny and Kapil were just as naturally gifted as Sachin but haven't seen them at their peak so for me personally Sachin will always be the best atleast for now. 

No one knew what hit them when a young Kumble burst onto the international scene. People were clueless how to play him. You kept hearing play him like a seamer blah blah but nothing really worked. Not in Warne league but Kumble carried India through 90s. 

Rahul and even Ashwin, Jaddu are perfect example of keep working at your game and that will lead to excellence. 

I am most conflicted about Virat. I am a huge Virat (the batsman) fan, he is a combo of talent and hardwork. Even today, no matter how bad the situation, till he is there in middle with a bat in his hand, that hope doesn't die.  

4 hours ago, Majestic said:

This is not on current form but overall in Test Cricket.

Sunil Gavaskar

Kapil Dev

Sachin Tendulkar

Anil Kumble

Rahul Dravid

Virat Kohli

Ravichandran Ashwin

Ravindra Jadeja

Jasprit Bumrah

Sunil Gavaskar - 9/10

Kapil Dev - 9/10 

Sachin Tendulkar - 9.5/10

Anil Kumble - 8/10

Rahul Dravid - 8.5/10

Virat Kohli - 9/10

Ravichandran Ashwin - 8.5/10

Ravindra Jadeja - 10/10

Jasprit Bumrah - 8.5/10

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Gavaskar scoring centuries in the WI against arguably the greatest pace attack ever assembled in cricket is akin to a modern day sub continent player scoring centuries in every country in SENA.

Except he did not. 

He scored 774 runs when they didn't have any  proper fast bowler. 

Still one of the greatest opener ever. 

Edited by Adamant

Kohli highscoring in a series on deadly pitches in SA against probably the second greatest pace bowling attack ever assembled tells us the level at which he operated. 

Rabada, Philander, Ngidi, Steyn, Morkel - that's serious heat. 

Sorry but Rahul Dravid was never good against great pace attacks, but he was terrific against medium pacers and swing. 

If only Kohli has one more peak, he will easily surpass Rahul Dravid. 

11 minutes ago, Dery said:

I dont remember Kohli winning India test matches with the bat especially away.

Pujara has done more especially in Aus

Nottingham

Mcg

Johannesburg 

More importantly he stood up when all others around him failed so that's why a lot of his centuries came in losses or even draws(twin centuries at adelaide) 

1 hour ago, Dery said:

I dont remember Kohli winning India test matches with the bat especially away.

Pujara has done more especially in Aus

Kohli has more hundreds and more memorable knocks in every other country. Just that Pujara's best knocks came in winning causes. There's a massive difference between away averages of 35 and  43. Though both are good players whose numbers are highly influenced by their home record. 

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

Nottingham

Mcg

Johannesburg 

More importantly he stood up when all others around him failed so that's why a lot of his centuries came in losses or even draws(twin centuries at adelaide) 

There's no point in discussion. One has away average of 43, the other just 35. 

43 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

There's no point in discussion. One has away average of 43, the other just 35. 

That is a pretty low average as per Kohli's standards. Thought it would be 45+ atleast because the likes of Gavaskar, Tendulkar and Dravid have it 50+.

6 hours ago, Adamant said:

Kohli highscoring in a series on deadly pitches in SA against probably the second greatest pace bowling attack ever assembled tells us the level at which he operated. 

Rabada, Philander, Ngidi, Steyn, Morkel - that's serious heat. 

Sorry but Rahul Dravid was never good against great pace attacks, but he was terrific against medium pacers and swing. 

If only Kohli has one more peak, he will easily surpass Rahul Dravid. 

In 2018 series steyn played only 1 test and didn’t bowl in 2nd innings due to injury.in 1st innings kohli scored less than 10 run.from 2nd test sa attack was rabada, philender, nagdi & morkel. Morkal & philender was good bowler & nagdi is avg only rabada is a atg.