Jos Buttler v KL Rahul

zen

Currently, these two are only batsmen to have hit 100s in this IPL, and, therefore, not surprisingly the top 2 run getters in the IPL after 7-8 games. How these two have scored runs contrasts the difference in mindset b/w the best overseas T20 batsman and the best Indian T20 batsman. Let's look at these two in relatively more detail: 

SR

• Buttler 162
  • KL 147 

SR depends upon a variety of factors but since both of these players are openers, the comparison is easier ... Buttler has demonstrated intent including showing the inclination to take on attacks and key bowlers 

Avg 

• Buttler 82
  • KL 61

Avg*SR

• Buttler 13,284 (+48%)
  • KL 8,967 

Runs against strong teams

• Buttler hit a 100 versus SRH and scored a swashbuckling knock against GT. Against DC, Buttler was attempting to take on Khaleel who was bowling well in that game. Buttler has a 100 against a lowly MI attack 
  • KL got 1st ball duck against RR & GT, while scoring 2 100s against a lowly MI attack (reminds me of getting nothing against Pak & NZ in the recent WC, while stats padding against the filler sides). Against SRH he did score a 68. Against DC, he made a less than run a ball 24-25 (In T20WC, strong teams are usually not going to allow him to settle down, make up his SR, and score 100s, which unfortunately has been the modus operandi of Ind's top order #1-3 batsmen)

In Avg*SR, Buttler is far ahead ... However ignoring this, which batsman do you think is performing better? Who will be more impactful for his team? 

37 minutes ago, maniac said:

We don’t have anyone like Jos Butler in India.

Rahul is one of the best we got in terms of skill and talent. Nothing will change that at least for the foreseeable year or 2. Need to suck it up and move on. Stats are meaningless sometimes.

The thread is on IPL, how these two are playing for their teams, and who is/will be more impactful 

As for Ind, it has batsmen who show intent in the top order ... PS no one needs to suck it up 

Edited by zen

2 minutes ago, zen said:

The thread is on IPL, how these two are playing for their teams, and who is/will be more impactful 

As for Ind, it batsmen who show intent in the top order ... PS no one needs to suck it up 

I don’t think stats are required. It’s obviously going to be Butler :dontknow: 

I wasn’t talking about you. In general no matter what Rahul might be a phattu but there is no one at his level of skill or talent waiting in the wings. He is out best bet.

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

I wasn’t talking about you. In general no matter what Rahul might be a phattu but there is no one at his level of skill or talent waiting in the wings. He is out best bet.

Best bet (many rate him to be as talented as Buttler) has to make an impact (as suited to the "best" moniker) too (esp. v strong teams) :winky: ... LSG has one of the stronger batting line ups (also better batting depth than RR)

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Best bet (many rate him to be as talented as Buttler) has to make an impact (as suited to the "best" moniker) too (esp. v strong teams) :winky: ... LSG has one of the stronger batting line ups (also better batting depth than RR)

Jos is in a class of his own in this IPL. he has a real chance to score 5 100s in a single IPL.

1 minute ago, zen said:

KL should take inspiration from Buttler rather than trying to mold his approach like relics Kohli & Rohit. 

Given the selfish nature of Indian batsmanship - which can arguably (but not definitively) be traced to the Bombaiyya school stretching back to Merchant - it will not be a surprise if he models his int'l game on tuk-tuking. KL has the ability to score big and score fast - this is a rare combo in T20s. he should play with freedom and panache, and not allow himself to be bogged down.

Just now, zen said:

Other top opener Warner has played 5 games so far. Below are his #s:

* SR 158

* Avg 55

* Avg*SR 8,690 

Shaw has also been good, with some caveats (has technical issues). Not that high an avg but his SR in PP is excellent. we don't have that many dashers, i.e., players who will unselfishly go for shots and try to score quickly at the top instead of plodding along at 130 SR.

10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Given the selfish nature of Indian batsmanship - which can arguably (but not definitively) be traced to the Bombaiyya school stretching back to Merchant - it will not be a surprise if he models his int'l game on tuk-tuking. KL has the ability to score big and score fast - this is a rare combo in T20s. he should play with freedom and panache, and not allow himself to be bogged down.

Exactly one of the key points of this discussion  i.e. we need to take inspiration from the likes of Buttler and who better to reset Ind's approach than the likes of KL!

KL has the talent and choice to take his game to the next level.

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Shaw has also been good, with some caveats (has technical issues). Not that high an avg but his SR in PP is excellent. we don't have that many dashers, i.e., players who will unselfishly go for shots and try to score quickly at the top instead of plodding along at 130 SR.

Shaw is good too but not in the league of KL in terms of a well rounded game. 

Edited by zen

In terms of Avg*SR, a few top Indian batsmen so far (min runs 200; min avg 33):

• DK 21,000 (SR 200, Avg 105)
  • SDP (Hardik) 10,138 (SR 137, Avg 74)
  • Tripathi 9,275 (SR 175, Avg 53)
  • KL 8,967 (SR 147, Avg 61)
  • SKY 7,248 (SR 151, Avg 48)
  • Dube 6,440 (SR 161, Avg 40)
  • T Verma 6,300 (SR 140, Avg 45)
  • Shaw 5,940 (SR 165, Avg 36) 
  • Samson 5,848 (SR 172, Avg 34)
  • S Iyer 5,005 (SR 143, Avg 35) 
Edited by zen

18 minutes ago, zen said:

In terms of Avg*SR, a few top Indian batsmen so far (min runs 200; min avg 33):

• DK 21,000 (SR 200, Avg 105)
  • SDP (Hardik) 10,138 (SR 137, Avg 74)
  • Tripathi 9,275 (SR 175, Avg 53)
  • KL 8,967 (SR 147, Avg 61)
  • SKY 7,248 (SR 151, Avg 48)
  • Dube 6,440 (SR 161, Avg 40)
  • T Verma 6,300 (SR 140, Avg 45)
  • Shaw 5,940 (SR 165, Avg 36) 
  • Samson 5,848 (SR 172, Avg 34)
  • S Iyer 5,005 (SR 143, Avg 35) 

I would suggest normalizing by 100 since this gives a metric of "scaled" avg (i.e., avg x SR per ball). No real difference to the order, but it feels more easier to visualize, and the numbers look smaller and more tractable as well.

15 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I would suggest normalizing by 100 since this gives a metric of "scaled" avg (i.e., avg x SR per ball). No real difference to the order, but it feels more easier to visualize, and the numbers look smaller and more tractable as well.

Here you go, buddy:

DK -> 100.0

SDP -> 32.1

Tripathi -> 26.7

KL -> 24.8

SKY -> 14.0

Dube -> 9.0

T Verma -> 8.1

Shaw -> 5.8

Samson -> 5.3

S Iyer -> 0.0 

Rahul is as talented as Buttler but clearly against quality attacks, Rahul struggles to switch gears to another level. I agree he needs to take inspiration from Buttler rather than Rohit-kohli to become a great World Cup T20 player rather than just been known as a weak bowling bully in T20s.

Off topic but In tests, things are different though. Rahul batted well in England while Buttler has always been awful in Tests wherever he played.

Rahul has no holes in his game vs pace bounce or spin. He only sucks when there is movement away from him by leftie. 

DK is useless under pressure. He fails every time when he is needed. Mental midget.