Possible KL Rahul theory...

Sooda

... he can not be both a good test opener and T20 opener. 

Have not done a detail analysis so I Might be mistaken on this: but his recent upturn in form as a test bat has coincided with him slowing down as a LOI bat. 

Where before he was able to smash tons in t20 cricket ( 50 ball 100 vs England in 2018, but struggle in the test series) now (at least in last year's England tour, though he struggled in SA) he's gone back to being a test opener with good judgement outside off,  and maybe that comes at a price in LOIs.

Lots of talk about him being a "mental midget" which I just don't buy: again his test performances last year have proven otherwise - albeit a different kind of mental test to be repeated beaten by quality swing and persist to come out on top at the end. 

I think the same held true for Murali Vijay. He went from hammering centuries in IPL to a world class test opener: I do not think he was ever both at the same time.

44 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

Possible, but it's not the time to write him off. This is his format. Drop him from test if he fails.

Really, I would much rather him being a crucial cog in out test wins away from home rather than t20 tournaments, yes even world cups

Winning test series in England> winning t20 world cup

33 minutes ago, Number said:

His dismissal yesterday suggests nothing of that sort.

The 2021 tour of England suggests he is though 

y'day was First game of tournament facing a 145k pacer ; still rusty after a long period out . He should have made the most of the Zim tour, chose to come at 4 or chase instead of time in the middle 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yesterday dismissal was an inside edge which generally is unlucky one but his approach has become annoying 

The kind of talent he has he shud be our butler but he chooses to be rahane 

"Chooses to be Rahane": I put it down to may be bit of format confusion in his mind. Probably especially hard for an opener, and maybe it's only exceptions like Rohit who can do it

Edited by Sooda
1 minute ago, Sooda said:

"Chooses to be Rahane": I put it down to may be bit of format confusion in his mind. Probably especially hard for an opener, and maybe it's only exceptions like Rohit who can do it

Fear of failure is the reason acc to me. I can understand format confusion at start of career but after so many years there shudnt be any confusion. 

4 hours ago, Sooda said:

... he can not be both a good test opener and T20 opener. 

Have not done a detail analysis so I Might be mistaken on this: but his recent upturn in form as a test bat has coincided with him slowing down as a LOI bat. 

Where before he was able to smash tons in t20 cricket ( 50 ball 100 vs England in 2018, but struggle in the test series) now (at least in last year's England tour, though he struggled in SA) he's gone back to being a test opener with good judgement outside off,  and maybe that comes at a price in LOIs.

Lots of talk about him being a "mental midget" which I just don't buy: again his test performances last year have proven otherwise - albeit a different kind of mental test to be repeated beaten by quality swing and persist to come out on top at the end. 

I think the same held true for Murali Vijay. He went from hammering centuries in IPL to a world class test opener: I do not think he was ever both at the same time.

You might be right.It is not easy to play two different styles  and still succeed. Rahul is one of biggest chokers too. He simply fails to perform under pressure.

Edited by putrevus
48 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You might be right.It is not easy to play two different styles  and still succeed. Rahul is one of biggest chokers too. He simply fails to perform under pressure.

It seems like the "kind" of pressure makes a difference: again, as a test opener, opening in England is the most pressure one can be under. And he was excellent.

33 minutes ago, Sooda said:

It seems like the "kind" of pressure makes a difference: again, as a test opener, opening in England is the most pressure one can be under. And he was excellent.

Scoring in one or two innings per test series is not performing. Rahul has never shown any ability to carry the form thru out the series.Even in England he started well and then completely faded away . Ditto in SA.Rahul was never excelllent under pressure.

But I would persist with him over Pant in T20s for now.

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yesterday dismissal was an inside edge which generally is unlucky one but his approach has become annoying 

The kind of talent he has he shud be our butler but he chooses to be rahane 

What a way to get out . Did not even present a steady bat  and neither a dead bat if he wanted to defend. its TM's fault they are trying him when he is so out of match practice . Ideally they should not be hell bent on to bring him in form in this Asia cup.  Try that post Asia cup .  If they do it again in KO he will screw up big time it seems . Better you go with VK & Ro as openers in this series.