CHEETAH:the home Coming

vayuu1

19 hours ago, zen said:

Need to devote like 1/3rd of the land area to wildlife without much human interference! Otherwise many species can become extinct (the planet belongs to all kinds of living beings not just human beings who have hijacked it). 

Cheetah was extinct in India not because of population, but iby 1947. Mainly due to gaming and hunting by Whites and Maharajas. 

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Cheetah was extinct in India not because of population, but iby 1947. Mainly due to gaming and hunting by Whites and Maharajas. 

What has that got to do with my post, which talks about human interference which can include hunting too!

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

1/3 of land to forests? I know your views on population explosion in India. So alluded to that. 

1/3 of all land (not just in India but everywhere), which has various benefits for the planet as well.

26 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Exactly. The famous Jim Corbett killed hundreds of tigers. That park should be renamed after renaming Rajpath.

25 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I think main reason was habitat destruction and decline in prey base like blackbuck. Cheetah require large grassland type area which are not much in India. Also Tiger and leopards were much prized kill than small cheetah for Royal hunters but both of them survived.

38 minutes ago, Khota said:

Exactly. The famous Jim Corbett killed hundreds of tigers. That park should be renamed after renaming Rajpath.

All the earlier naturalist were hunters as there was no concept of being naturalist at that time. Also Corbett National park was Hailey national park before independence later it was renamed Ramganga national and again after insistance of GB Pant as Corbett National park. 

5 hours ago, Singh bling said:

I think main reason was habitat destruction and decline in prey base like blackbuck. Cheetah require large grassland type area which are not much in India. Also Tiger and leopards were much prized kill than small cheetah for Royal hunters but both of them survived.

Agreed, my argument was reductive. Large cheetah population was reduced to some such scientific explanation. Whatever was left in India were hunted down for trophy keeping

Edited by coffee_rules

On 9/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, zen said:

What has that got to do with my post, which talks about human interference which can include hunting too!

Hunting is banned now and a criminal offence. So one of the main reason for their loss is no longer there.

India also has a very successful tiger ( and other big cats)protection record.....inspite of the huge human population and it's side effects. 

Pretty sure the Cheetah  reintroduction will be a success.

Edited by beetle