Kantara - A Masterpiece?

kepler37b

This is getting some good PR. except this time, it feels real. This Shiva is much better than all other Shivas (light aarahi hain Shiva!).  Truly the last 25-30 minutes is mindblowing.

Don't miss the baddie in Sabarimala attire, inisuating that he is from Kerala. There is a lot of animosity in that region against people from Kerala.

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

These B-wood intellectuals don't know what the Indian civilization stands for. For them it is all myths. This is how a westerner explains the concept of Kantara. Not about Beliefs being core to society and how differences in faiths can still be resolved with filtering out the adharmic values. 

For her anything connected to the land is an alien concept.

Read in between the lines

She never talks about how beautifully the film celebrates the local folklore. 

It is OK if you are an atheist. But if you are not touched by local traditions and customs, you should change your career to a JNU professor.

Seen the film

1st half hour - i was like whats so great about it

Then next hour - i started enjoying it

Then i started thinking ok this is a full too masala film - isme sab kuch hai and its technically very sound too 

Last 10 min - my jaw dropped , i haven't seen something like this. The often misused word goosebumps was so applicable here . Rishabh shetty performance in last 10 min will blow your mind. 

After ages i saw theatres absolutely packed and when the film ended they stood up n clapped. Dont remember when that happened last time

I expect the film to get in audience for next one month..............ab nahin rukegi 

Next releases are Ram setu, thank god and black adam - I dont expect great opening for both Ram setu and Thank god since promotion has been weak and also dont think they ll be any good either. Black adam will have its audience 

Kantara will keep growing here , soon it will become a thing where ppl who havent seen it will start to feel left out and then even they ll watch it 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

47 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Seen the film

1st half hour - i was like whats so great about it

Then next hour - i started enjoying it

Then i started thinking ok this is a full too masala film - isme sab kuch hai and its technically very sound too 

Last 10 min - my jaw dropped , i haven't seen something like this. The often misused word goosebumps was so applicable here . Rishabh shetty performance in last 10 min will blow your mind. 

After ages i saw theatres absolutely packed and when the film ended they stood up n clapped. Dont remember when that happened last time

Saw it twice already, going along with friends who have not seen it and enjoying it with them . The first half hour is extremely funny in Kannada with the Kundapur accent, don’t know how it feels in dubbed or in subtitles . A lot are comparing it with Tumbbad, but that was too dark and scary and not a masala entertainer 

7 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Saw it twice already, going along with friends who have not seen it and enjoying it with them . The first half hour is extremely funny in Kannada with the Kundapur accent, don’t know how it feels in dubbed or in subtitles . A lot are comparing it with Tumbbad, but that was too dark and scary and not a masala entertainer 

Dubbing was annoying , my frends booked dubbed version so had to watch otherwise i avoid it. Will watch it again in kannada 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Till the last 30 mins or so I didn't think the movie was so great either. It's the climax that really takes it to another level.

I must be honest. I was overwhelmed by the end. In an era of instant judgements, it's easy to label the film as this or that. I would say it's authentic and not falling into any of the tropes you expect it to. It again comes with civilizational clarity and genuine connect with the subject. Filmmaker don't have to manufacture or emphasize on conflicts. 

Apart from genuine freshness about the treatment, it's the quality of execution. You can see that Rishabh was at absolute top of his game. The last 30 min is something that rarely happens in cinema. An actor and story enter into a pitch and audience fly with it. 

Movie did provoke some strong emotions. Those of us who come from small towns or villages or experienced this kind of stuff can relate to this intensity. This energy. 

Edited by ravishingravi

4 hours ago, bharathh said:

Till the last 30 mins or so I didn't think the movie was so great either. It's the climax that really takes it to another level.

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Exactly 

Rishabh Shetty has explained the movie much in all his interviews. You can see that he is driving a conflict for land between tribals and the system. But it is deeper than that, about man vs nature. Man represented by Shiva is all corrupt in his ways, not knowing whom to trust in the onset of conflicts with the system, gullible and has the courage of youth and believes in his identity. Nature represented by Murali cop is also trying to protect nature from the ill doings of people, wants to teach the man a lesson. There are multiple other conflicts about land grabbing, zamindars believing in land owning at all costs, loyalty to community or system (of the female lead) . But the whole movie is about belief system of the people , Daiva is not a bhoota (ghosts) as translated by most critics , but some energy that people in that area believe that it will protect them. It is the connection between man and god. 

Shetty didn’t want to make an art movie, but an entertainer that brings audience to the theatre. Hence all the humor in the first 30 mins and also in between all the narration. He didn’t want to make the narration about a system that is brutal and unjust like so many Tamil movies (Jai Bheem, Karnan etc) . 

The Kundapur accent of The language is very unprecedented as well. Till now, Kannada movies had used that language to mock people from the area, comedy interludes, usually played by cooks and domestic help. It is very fresh in this movie and writing Is exquisite. The cinematography capturing the location shot in Kundapur western ghats is near perfect. Action maybe a little bit mundane as we see such in most south Ind movies. Director as the main lead said he did all action without stunts, very impressive. The love story seems hurried and he said that he didn’t want to dwell on a love story , he wanted to show he was more interested in having physical relationship rather than emotional representing the greed of man. 

perfectly built up for the climax, it seems so unique because it is so unexpected. That shock value brings in most people as they feel curious how he will end the story. This is the work of a master story teller. 

Grew up in Hassan (Mankad) , I have seen  in many social events and marriages where people get this energy in them and act all weird. Usually it will be fake and people are nowadays flippant about it. But people in villages believe in that energy, they pray for it and give that energy many gifts to calm down and not show its wrath on them. People living close to forests and nature might have this belief system much deeper and also part of their everyday life. There are certain families that invite or imbibe the Bhoota in them for generations. Not all can get it, somewhat like priest class.  

Edited by coffee_rules

Rishabh Shetty and other 2 SHettys RajB (GGVV) or rakshit Shetty are not great directors or legendary filmmakers, they make smart and intelligent cinema. Kirik Party is pretty lame first half and a run of the mill 2nd half. But are good entertainers.  Rishabh has hit jackpot only with this movie. Maybe good production houses do matter. They released a Kannada version in 2500 theaters worldwide to generate the initial WoM. Looking at footfalls, they have now invested in other languages. He has never given such a hit before. Average BO successes. 

Also fact that I liked is that there is not much exposition. Just jump straight into the action. All the characters are shades of grey including protagonist who by no means is a nice guy. The changing equation’ between the characters is also interesting. Also mangalore bunt community even in villages are very liberal and often matriarchal. The women are pretty strong and not too shy of their preferences either. I like the fact that he stayed true to that spirit. 

10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Kirik Party

i thought it was damn overrated but i liked Avane Srimannarayana although it was tooo long

One film thats been on my list to watch is Raj shetty's  Garuda Gamana Vrishabha Vahana...............will try to watch that soon 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Also fact that I liked is that there is not much exposition. Just jump straight into the action. All the characters are shades of grey including protagonist who by no means is a nice guy. The changing equation’ between the characters is also interesting. Also mangalore bunt community even in villages are very liberal and often matriarchal. The women are pretty strong and not too shy of their preferences either. I like the fact that he stayed true to that spirit. 

Jumping straight into the story, is a editing function, the director films a lot of scenes, the editor cuts it based on what is liked by the audience. Bade bade directors bhi dhoka kha jaate  hain ego ki wajah se , editors know their craft , directors should let them do it. One of the important jobs in setting the narration .

We write a lot of customer documentation, the technical writer keeps it precise and appealing to the reader. Same thing.

Edited by coffee_rules

58 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Actor - Director- Writer Rishabh Shetty speaking in Tamil. Tagging some Tamilians here @velu @Real McCoy @vvvslaxman @Vilander @Stan AF @ash @Jay

Catch this movie. Guy grew in South Kannada district 

Funking loved it. Bit difficult to follow uttar karnataka dialect. Must watch movie.

After Rakshit now Rishab, kannada movie industry is churning out great movies now.