On Language

sandeep

I know Javed Akhtar and opinions on him have become politicized - and I am not interested in 'judging' him.  Or going off on tangents of whataboutism.

But he's a skilled poet and writer, I like his perspective on things, and I enjoy listening to him.  There's some wisdom in this video, motivated me to share it. 

8 hours ago, sandeep said:

I know Javed Akhtar and opinions on him have become politicized - and I am not interested in 'judging' him.  Or going off on tangents of whataboutism.

But he's a skilled poet and writer, I like his perspective on things, and I enjoy listening to him.  There's some wisdom in this video, motivated me to share it. 

he is also witty, regardless of whether one agrees with his views or not.

18 minutes ago, Number said:

Very witty and knowledgeable guy. You listen to him and listen current gen of bollywood on Koffee with Karan, there is so much difference in intellect that it is shocking. 

I agree with your assessment of Javed Akhtar. 

However, the comparison is totally flawed. Koffee with Karan is a frivolous show which invites actors mainly. 

Javed Akhtar is a writer and the clips posted here are from literary events/book launches. 

Javed Akhtar is as much a representation of the intellect of Bollywood of the yesteryears as the Koffee with Karan cabal is of today's Bollywood. 

If you were to interview writers/lyricists today, they would make for an interesting hearing. The likes of Prasoon Joshi, Imtiyaz Ali do have a fair grasp of reality and are able to convey their views with ample articulation.

48 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

@sandeep  @Mariyam

Loha lohe ko kat ta hai. 

Akhtar is a rare intellectual in Bollywood. 

Sadhguru is extraordinarily witty with brilliant logic, reasoning and worldly sense. 

JA comes across as angry and easily irritable.  That, of course, does not mean he is wrong.  But it is a terrible way to try and win people's hearts and minds.  

54 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

JA comes across as angry and easily irritable.  That, of course, does not mean he is wrong.  But it is a terrible way to try and win people's hearts and minds.  

Even Sadhguru does not seem to have the usual calm on his face - he seems agitated.

Their opinions on spirituality are radically different and yet they seem to both sound reasonably convincing. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

24 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Usually happens when one is used to preaching to choir. Industry is pretty closed in its views.

Another issue for rationalists is that it is easy to pi$$ everyone off.  Most people exercise some kind of faith in a deity/deities, even if they don't actively practice religious rituals. To question that faith is futile because the purported existence and benevolence of said deity can never be dis-proven.  And that can be frustrating.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

6 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

@sandeep  @Mariyam

Loha lohe ko kat ta hai. 

Akhtar is a rare intellectual in Bollywood. 

Sadhguru is extraordinarily witty with brilliant logic, reasoning and worldly sense. 

Not sure what this video is supposed to show?

clearly they have disagreements and differing views.  IIRC Javed Akhtar is a self-proclaimed rationalist - maybe atheist or at least agnostic.  And this snippet only shows a part of a verbal joust between the 2, and that too out of context.  I'm not saying I favor one over the other, but the video title is certainly inaccurate and misleading.  But then its a youtube video title, by definition its clickbait.

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

clearly they have disagreements and differing views.  IIRC Javed Akhtar is a self-proclaimed rationalist - maybe atheist or at least agnostic.  And this snippet only shows a part of a verbal joust between the 2, and that too out of context.  I'm not saying I favor one over the other, but the video title is certainly inaccurate and misleading.  But then its a youtube video title, by definition its clickbait.

Here is the full video: 

JA sounds like the most rationale person w.r.t spirituality, till you start hearing Sadguru.

Edited by rangeelaraja

7 hours ago, sandeep said:

virtually all youtube video titles are trashy

On 2/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

A lot of that has to do with the way these 'talks' are designed for the TV audience. 

When you title a talk as a debate, there is an element of oneupmanship that creeps into the proceedings.

Title it as a discussion and you'd have a real exchange of ideas, where people may even listen to one another without the need to constantly interject.

16 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

He is an imposter of Christian missionaries. I don't have time to dig that up but there most of his unintentionally funny videos are available on the internet.

How is he an imposter of Christian missionaries?