2023 French Open

Gollum

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Great memories, very affable , wonder he gets booed by audiences so much. 

he has always been a bit of a jekyll-hyde figure (and I say it as a big fan). can be very magnaminous/generous but also quite temperamental/immature.

The way he plays big points, no one is remotely close. Whether when facing BPs or serving for the game/set/match. And my god that FH :hatsoff:, keeps improving various facets of his game despite achieving everything, after so many years of grind. Would have won AO 22 as well if not for his entry restriction, he is far far ahead of even Federer, Nadal. Is in the same league as Ali, Phelps, Bolt, Maradona, Jordan etc. now. 

Edited by Gollum

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

The way he plays big points, no one is remotely close. Whether when facing BPs or serving for the game/set/match. And my god that FH :hatsoff:, keeps improving various facets of his game despite achieving everything, after so many years of grind. Would have won AO 22 as well if not for his entry restriction, he is far far ahead of even Federer, Nadal. Is in the same league as Ali, Phelps, Bolt, Maradona, Jordan etc. now. 

I don't agree with some of these names. I saw maradona many a time (for both Arg and napoli) and I am a huge fan of him. But I don't consider him significantly ahead in terms of consistency + talent (maybe in terms of latter); likes of pele, messi, etc come to mind. Ditto for Ali -- Teófilo Stevenson was close to him, but never quite got that level of exposure and fame.

Phelps should definitely be there; also Bradman and Sobers

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

For me what's a revelation even more than Djokovic is Goran Ivanesevic. My fav player. Was talented but volatile and lacking temperament. Wouldn't have expected him to be coach material. 

Not to mention that 90% of his game was based on his serve. I wonder how he is able to coach a baseliner like Djokovic. 

I also remember him talking a lot about the Croatia Serbia war in the 90s.

11 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Not to mention that 90% of his game was based on his serve. I wonder how he is able to coach a baseliner like Djokovic. 

yes, a great serve. arguably the best of his era, along with pistol pete

On 6/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, Ranvir said:

50% of this game is around serve anyway. He had that covered. Also one of best return of serve second to Agassi and Sampras.  Probably the best server of all times. Could disguise brilliantly.