Drop Jadeja for Ashwin?

21 minutes ago, Norman said:

No it didn't. As others have mentioned, Jadeja makes this team on batting alone. His bowling is just a bonus. And Ashwin actually bowled brilliantly that game. So it definitely didn't hurt us. 

What actually hurt us was the royal choke by Bumrah who ended up wicketless. Him and Ishant bowled utter shite with the new ball in NZ first innings...the conditions were so good to bowl and we could have bowled NZ out for 150 if Bumrah turned up even at 60% his best. 

That is where you need 4th seamer in these conditions. because it is just a one-off test and there is no buildup or time to acclimatize for Indian fast bowlers. you will need extra pacer here. Only pacers are going to win you games in England, not spinners, no matter how many plays, so, a second spinner is a luxury which we cannot afford. Counties have even fielded 5 seamers at the Oval this county season. 

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

That is where you need 4th seamer in these conditions. because it is just a one-off test and there is no buildup or time to acclimatize for Indian fast bowlers. you will need extra pacer here. Only pacers are going to win you games in England, not spinners, no matter how many plays, so, a second spinner is a luxury which we cannot afford. Counties have even fielded 5 seamers at the Oval this county season. 

That would apply if guys like Bumrah and Ishant were there in the team. But on this team they need to decide if Ashwin is better than fourth seamer or not?

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Umesh, Shami and Siraj pick themselves. 

if 4th bowler is needed then Thakur is a proven test bowling-allrounder.

BCCI probably has disposable income to even spend on Unadkut’s ticket. 

we would have to see a Australia like 

situation with players falling like a pack of cards for Unadkut to get a shot.

I was so hoping for Indian team to grow a spine and give Jaiswal a debut but that will never happen atleast in the foreseeable future unless some unforeseen circumstances.

Good chance that they will play Thakur ahead of Umesh to deepen the batting.

My predicted XI:

Gill

Rohit

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Jadeja

Bharat / Kishan

Ashwin

Thakur

Shami

Siraj

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

which is why I'm advocating playing Ash along with 4 seamers.....

15 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If both Ashwin and Jadeja play then I would play Umesh over Thakur.

Umesh is not in great form, plus he doesn't do much on green tracks.

Thakur is actually right pace for these tracks

If its flatter,Umesh gets in.

19 minutes ago, Lord said:

Umesh is not in great form, plus he doesn't do much on green tracks.

Thakur is actually right pace for these tracks

If its flatter,Umesh gets in.

Two spinners means it is not green track.If it is green track then they have to play 4 seamers.

57 minutes ago, Lord said:

Ashwin offers more than 4th seamer enough. On greentop 3 should be enough

Australia's 4th seamer is an all-rounder. England's 4th seamer is an all-rounder.  Unfortunately, Thakur is the closest we have as an all-rounder seamer.   It made their job much easier. All our all-rounders are spinners. Ashwin/Jaddu/Sundar/Axar. If one of our batsmen can bowl spin it will be a massive plus.

Naah, Jadeja can't be dropped. He is your best batsman on current form after RG Sharma in tests.

Lets see who plays because I am not convinced with any option at 8 and 9. It's a green top by the way so maybe Shardul is the right option only.

I had anticipated the 11 some time ago Link

The bowling is by and large over dependent on Shami & Siraj. Any combination in the other slots would not have made a big difference unless someone stepped up his game big time. If x had played, we could have seen people say that y could have done better, and if y, x. 

Just now, zen said:

I had anticipated the 11 some time ago Link

The bowling is by and large over dependent on Shami & Siraj. Any combination in the other slots would not have made a big difference unless someone stepped up his game big time. If x had played, we could have seen people say that y could have done better, and if y, x. 

14  names there in your '11'