What will be the realistic Indian test team for West Indies tour ?

12 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

No offence but if cricket is your ‘hobby’ then you should know Hardik doesn’t want to play tests… the fact that you don’t know this and calling for him to be made vice captain… 

Hardik has not ruled out playing tests. At the moment, he wants to focus on both fitness and mastering LOIs. He wants to bite as much as he can chew, and take it step by step,  but if required, he can be motivated to rebuild the test team. 

7 minutes ago, zen said:

Hardik has not ruled out playing tests. At the moment, he wants to focus on both fitness and mastering LOIs. He wants to bite as much as he can chew, and take it step by step,  but if required, he can be motivated to rebuild the test team. 

If you think he’s gonna risk his white ball and IPL with another long term injury by playing all three formats and putting his brand/marketability on the line, then you are as deluded as someone thinking Rohit sharma can lose weight. He’s not 20.. he’s nearing 30. There is no step by step for him. He won’t be playing any red ball cricket going forwards

16 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

If you think he’s gonna risk his white ball and IPL with another long term injury by playing all three formats and putting his brand/marketability on the line, then you are as deluded as someone thinking Rohit sharma can lose weight. He’s not 20.. he’s nearing 30. There is no step by step for him. He won’t be playing any red ball cricket going forwards

Note that I am not debating my PoV (which is based on what I would do)! ... I only clarified an assumption that you made. 

5 hours ago, zen said:

Coming back to the topic, this year India is playing a) 2 Tests in WI, and b) 2 Tests in SA. 

For the WI leg, which includes 3 ODIs & 3 T20s as well, I would focus on youngsters. I would ask Rohit, Kohli, & company to focus on the Asia Cup, which is expected to take place in Sept. Among senior players, I would only pick Pujara.

I would make Pujara the interim captain as he is the current vice-captain , if I am not wrong, and has led teams in England too. Pujara would get till the SA series to settle the test 11. I would bring in Hardik as the vice-captain, who would take over captaincy against Eng in the home series in 2024. 

Team for WI tour:

Tests 

Rituraj 

Jaiswal 

Pujara (c) 

Gill

KL (interim WK or any better option)

Hardik (vc) 

Axar

Kuldeep or Sundar

Siraj 

Shami or someone else if he wants rest 

H Rana or equivalent (a new pace bowler who is available and not injured)

LOIs

Gill 

Jaiswal 

SKY (vc)

Rinku

Hardik (c)

Jitesh or Samson (wk)

Axar

Sundar or Kuldeep

Umran

Siraj

H Rana or equivalent 

:beer: 

Hardik would be perfect for South Africa as the 4th seamer who can bat a bit.

Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Hardik would be a potent attack for South Africa 2 tests where teams get bowled out in around 70 overs and generally no long spells.

Now, can it happen? Yes, but the coach and captain has to make that happen. Moeen Ali has been talked out of retirement. Trent Boult has been talked into a casual agreement with NZC again. 

Does Hardik want it though? Not sure. He seems a guy who want his fame in white ball cricket.

3 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Hardik hardly bowls in IPL, i dont think he will bowl 10-15 overs a day. 

Yes and thats why he needs to be picked smartly where the track are seamers friendly and where most of the damage will be done by seamer 1-2-3.
So, the only place he can play in this cycle  is those couple of tests in South Africa. That's about it. He can then merrily play all his white ball cricket in 2 years.

6 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Hardik would be a potent attack for South Africa 2 tests where teams get bowled out in around 70 overs and generally no long spells.

Now, can it happen? Yes, but the coach and captain has to make that happen. Moeen Ali has been talked out of retirement. Trent Boult has been talked into a casual agreement with NZC again. 

Does Hardik want it though? Not sure. He seems a guy who want his fame in white ball cricket.

If/when fitness allows (no point in trying to bite more than one can chew), he is likely to consider playing tests. 

He is doing things methodically. 

48 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

I would say, let's don't concentrate our hopes on Hardik playing Tests.

Face the reality, Hardik hasn't played Tests in last 4-5 years...he don't even bowl regularly in T20's. He has modelled his batting approach for white ball cricket and that's where he feels at ease.

Selectors need to be brave and pick a young pace allrounder for SA tour. FFS they are being paid to scout and identify the potential players, not to sit on the Air-conditioned sofa and gulp down bread pakodas. 

7 hours ago, zen said:

I would make Pujara the interim captain as he is the current vice-captain , if I am not wrong, and has led teams in England too. Pujara would get till the SA series to settle the test 11. I would bring in Hardik as the vice-captain, who would take over captaincy against Eng in the home series in 2024

Bwahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahaahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaahahhaahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahah

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Pujara will be dropped 

unmesh too 

Shami will be rested 

Sampson might be picked with kishan ( batting depth needed ) 

jaiswal and / or Gaikwad wil be selected 

mukesh kumar / deshpande / umran / mohsin - two of these might get picked. 

don’t expect wholesale changes . They will focus on replacement bowlers . 

Just hope that we have seen the last of Unmesh , pujara and bharat . 

rahane walks in as he is rejuvenated . Sharma , Kohli are in form . Gill is our next captain . 

will sarfaraaz khan get a look in ? Only if they decide to rest players like Kohli . Does not seem to be the case . 

with two world cups coming up , focus will be off wtc and we are not going to make it unless pant comes back rejuvenated 

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

because it's easy to distract Ind simps

This.

The fanism and simping is next level.

Rohit, Kohli, Pujara and Rahane look so tired like they are in their 40's.

And still fans simp for them.

They will play until they are dropped.

But simping will ensure they linger around forever.

I have never seen any athlete in any sport playing when they know themselves they are past their prime and fans, selectors and TM don't drop them.

No wonder India underperforms so badly in Olympics. This seniority culture will never do well in Olympics where the best of the best compete at the highest level 

56 minutes ago, BlueBlood said:

This.

I have never seen any athlete in any sport playing when they know themselves they are past their prime and fans, selectors and TM don't drop them.

No wonder India underperforms so badly in Olympics. This seniority culture will never do well in Olympics where the best of the best compete at the highest level 

probably among the craziest, on par with bangladesh (even in Pak, their sooperstars do get criticized more frequently)

4 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

This.

They will not be dropped ,they can just announce retirement when they want.

The selectors will ensure that such players would be selected in the squad who can be dropped easily