What will be the realistic Indian test team for West Indies tour ?

If fans are selector, then would probably drop Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Umesh, Bharath, Unadkat.

But realstically thats not going to happen. So lets put emotion aside and see what selectors can do.

- They will not select Pujara, Rahane and Umesh but will not be labeled as dropped but just moving away from them into the future.

- K S Bharath will be 100% dropped and will be replaced by KL Rahul or Ishan Kishan for now.

- Unadkat will be retained as an experienced domestic replacement of Umesh and a new fast bowler will be selected.

- If Iyer is not available then sarfaraz may get his chance in middle order.

- Jaiswal will be drafted as an opener with Gill moving down in middle order.

My realistic 15 member squad for WI tour.

Rohit (c)

Jaiswal

Gill

Kohli

Iyer or Sarfaraz

KL Rahul or Kishan

Jadeja

Ashwin

Axar

Kuldeep

Shardul

Undakat

Siraj

Shami

One new fast bowler - Mukesh based on queue

Note: Few left field option can be Ruturaj as middle order batsman or even Sundar as a batsman who can bowl or Umran as a rookie fast bowler.

Edited by deepdynamo

I think Bharat is 100% done & dusted...  KLR will be back as a wk...  Kishan will warm the bench. 

Rahane ain't going anywhere.  Remember after WI we have got SA test series & he always makes into the sides for SA tour as quota eggsperince. 

Kohli not going anywhere till Australia tour.  Same with Rohit maybe. 

Pujara has a terrible record in WI...  But he is clearly closest to being dumped.  Even that looks tough under cuckul Dravid tho

If we have to be "realistic", there are many issues in India esp. with respect to upcoming players. If the wrong players get a run, the chances are that India could be playing the dangerous musical chairs game that could take its cricket even backward (esp. due to a lack of a settled lineup). 

I don't judge players based on Ranji as the conditions, competition, and pressure (unless a game is b/w full-strength top sides) do not align with what players could usually face at the international level. 

India needs more young players like Gill to raise their hand up where selectors may feel that they deserve a relatively long run. One such batsman could be Jaiswal, whose game needs to improve but he has the fighting spirit. 

The WK slot is owned by Pant (who still needs to improve his keeping), and there are not even close options at the moment. It almost feels as if Saha, the 38 years old veteran, is still the best WK in India! 

The spin department appears Indian conditions dependent. I do not see a bowler like Lyon who could compete relatively more irrespective of the surface. Kuldeep has the potential but not necessarily the consistency and mental strength. Sundar has been fragile. 

The pace department has fooled me in the past. I have gotten excited about certain bowlers only to see them lose pace and bowl ordinarily. Bowlers that I trust are limited to Bumrah, Shami, & Siraj. While Unadkat, Thakur, Mukesh, etc. can be serviceable per conditions, I am not sure of their long-term viability.  

16 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Don't expect any wholesale changes...it's not going to happen.

At max...Pujara, Bharath and Umesh will get dropped

KL, Ishan Kishan and Unadkut will play in the XI.

Yeah, I am also expecting Pujara, Bharath, Umesh to be dropped

If you look at the (official) ages of cricketers:

Rohit 36

Ashwin 36

Rahane 35

Pujara 35

Kohli 34

Jadeja 34

For most of the above, their careers could stretch to the series v Eng in Jan-Mar (a home farewell scenario). 

No change .. the teams and their partners need vaca in Florida and Caribbean… full strength squad with family traveling..  need some shirtless photos on white sand blue beaches as well to forget that they are actually there to play cricket .. volleyball pics also needed ..   you expect those pics to be taken in India … get out .. instagram filters don’t work well with pollution in India 

The fact people are still commenting and speculating the team selection for this tour makes me question the delusion and IQ level of posters here... the BCCI gives you a big finger year after year as well the players and TM, yet you are as faithful and bending over gleefully to take the big fat L they put in your * in the name of 'fans'

Do you people not have any self respect. 

1 hour ago, LordPrabhzy said:

The fact people are still commenting and speculating the team selection for this tour makes me question the delusion and IQ level of posters here... the BCCI gives you a big finger year after year as well the players and TM, yet you are as faithful and bending over gleefully to take the big fat L they put in your * in the name of 'fans'

Do you people not have any self respect. 

I think many are commenting because cricket is their hobby. It is probably like you are an SRK fan and after a few flop films, you try to speculate what his new film would or should be like. And other such hobby-related examples. 

Many would go on to follow the Ashes too in as few days. 

Coming back to the topic, this year India is playing a) 2 Tests in WI, and b) 2 Tests in SA. 

For the WI leg, which includes 3 ODIs & 3 T20s as well, I would focus on youngsters. I would ask Rohit, Kohli, & company to focus on the Asia Cup, which is expected to take place in Sept. Among senior players, I would only pick Pujara.

I would make Pujara the interim captain as he is the current vice-captain , if I am not wrong, and has led teams in England too. Pujara would get till the SA series to settle the test 11. I would bring in Hardik as the vice-captain, who would take over captaincy against Eng in the home series in 2024. 

Team for WI tour:

Tests 

Rituraj 

Jaiswal 

Pujara (c) 

Gill

KL (interim WK or any better option)

Hardik (vc) 

Axar

Kuldeep or Sundar

Siraj 

Shami or someone else if he wants rest 

H Rana or equivalent (a new pace bowler who is available and not injured)

LOIs

Gill 

Jaiswal 

SKY (vc)

Rinku

Hardik (c)

Jitesh or Samson (wk)

Axar

Sundar or Kuldeep

Umran

Siraj

H Rana or equivalent 

:beer: 

18 minutes ago, zen said:

Coming back to the topic, this year India is playing a) 2 Tests in WI, and b) 2 Tests in SA. 

For the WI leg, which includes 3 ODIs & 3 T20s as well, I would focus on youngsters. I would ask Rohit, Kohli, & company to focus on the Asia Cup, which is expected to take place in Sept. Among senior players, I would only pick Pujara.

I would make Pujara the interim captain as he is the current vice-captain , if I am not wrong, and has led teams in England too. Pujara would get till the SA series to settle the test 11. I would bring in Hardik as the vice-captain, who would take over captaincy against Eng in the home series in 2024. 

Team for WI tour:

Tests 

Rituraj 

Jaiswal 

Pujara (c) 

Gill

KL (interim WK or any better option)

Hardik (vc) 

Axar

Kuldeep or Sundar

Siraj 

Shami or someone else if he wants rest 

H Rana or equivalent (a new pace bowler who is available and not injured)

LOIs

Gill 

Jaiswal 

SKY (vc)

Rinku

Hardik (c)

Jitesh or Samson (wk)

Axar

Sundar or Kuldeep

Umran

Siraj

H Rana or equivalent 

:beer: 

No offence but if cricket is your ‘hobby’ then you should know Hardik doesn’t want to play tests… the fact that you don’t know this and calling for him to be made vice captain…