Is Rahul Dravid Destroying Indian Cricket?

While many trolls will find a reason to cry, cricket fans know that India is not at full strength esp. the bowling attack. Bumrah, S Iyer, Pant, etc. are missing. While some players like Shami, Siraj, etc.  are being rotated to keep them fresh for key tournaments. 

In many bilaterals, VVS has coached India. 

Asia Cup is where India is expected to go almost full strength (with a few exceptions). A squad at full strength almost (some folks may still not be available) picks itself apart from a couple of slots here and there. 

7 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

Everyone blames the coach (not defending him here) but most of our players have been on a decline. Not everyone is on a prime form like Sanga was at the end of his career. 

Coach and selectors both own the responsibility. Selection has been chaotic.  Impromper picks of players for improper formats. What was the use of backing SKY for ODI knowing fully well he is not cut out to be an ODI player.  Ruturaj had good ODI and T20 performances. But picked for Tests for no reason.  Mukesh and Unadkat at best would have been a forgivable picks for Tests. Playing all 3 formats is a crime.

On 8/2/2023 at 8:13 AM, cowboysfan said:

my problem is why they keep delecting players who have no real future in the Indian team.Unadkat and Mukesh are just not good enough.

These are selection issues. To blame the coach and that too a dedicated one for all the ills that plague the team is a bit rich. No coach is infallible. I'd be shocked he's been given full charge to chop and change the side at will. Bambi and Dilly mafia won't allow it. As he has shown in the past, he will quit the role when he knows it is time. 

Edited by Kothili

And my advise to the bcci is, 

Get the best batting bowling (extra for spinners) fielding coaches out there. 

But get somebody who can offer a counter to the captain and provide atlernatives to group think. I.e somebody ready to stick his neck out. 

P.s people saying India missing Pant etc. The truth is the calibre of cricketer coming through means you need to assume that 2 to 3 will be out due to self inflicted injuries or generally be injured due to volume of cricket.

I feel Gill is not tight enough to be an opener in tests. But atleast he appears to have a level head.

Kishan has discipline issues.

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

Dravid has a general pussy demeanor about him.

Is a good technical coach.  Not a manager who needs to manage personalities and tactics.

BCCI and Tean India Captain only want a yes man pussy demeanour guys. Shashtri wasnt a pussy but he was a yes man to an extent. Till we get someone like Gary Kirsten or Greg Chappel types to bring players in line and with BCCI backing, then nothing will change.

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

to assist captain in selection,strategies and overall team building.

Correcting batting techniques is not part of his job.

Who said that??? 

Head is responsible for everything in the team, batting, bowling and fielding.

He has other coaches to help him, if he does not feel like they are doing the job  he can kick them out.

So batting has gone down since he became head coach so he either needs to take over that duty also and kick Rathore out. Or get someone who can do the job.

Edited by putrevus
Just now, putrevus said:

Who said that??? 

Head is responsible for everything in the team, batting bowling and fielding.

He has other coaches to help him, if he does not feel like they are doing the job  he can kick them out.

It doesn't make it 'his' job to correct batting techniques. He oversees everything. 

And he can't kick them out. Selectors/BCCI can.

25 minutes ago, Lord said:

It doesn't make it 'his' job to correct batting techniques. He oversees everything. 

And he can't kick them out. Selectors/BCCI can.

I disagree on his role.Everything starts and stops with head coach.If it does not then there is something very wrong with it.

Moreover   system needs to change, WTH are selectors/BCCI to decide  who will be coaches under a head coach.He has to be comfortable to work with those coaches.

Are the wins and losses going under selectors name.Dravid will get sacked if India does not do well, selectors won't lose their jobs.

Just like if captain says he cannot work with a head coach then head coach needs to go as captain is the most important on a cricket field.

If Dravid has no say in what Vikram Rathore does and does not do then whole system is screwed up and my apologies to Rahul Dravid.If I were Dravid I would resign.

Shastri was adamant in working with Arun as bowling coach and he got him, is that not the case anymore with Dravid. 

Edited by putrevus