India v Pakistan WC 2023 - stadium experience

4 hours ago, First class said:

Nice , thanks for sharing your experience. Feel bad for the people like you and other 100 K plus people in the stadium , Pak team devoid them from  a close thrilling match with their pathetic display. 

It was never going to be close. The gap in batting is quite massive.  Without Naseem, there's a gap in bowling as well.  

On 10/15/2023 at 6:36 PM, Khota said:

Nice post @Trichromatic. Thanks for sharing your experience with pictures.

What were the facilities like in stadium. How would you rate the stadium overall? Does it have a good feel to it?

Facilities

Before the toss, we roamed around to check for facilities. There was free water in water cans with dispenser available everywhere outside the stands. I had attended matches at Eden Gardens, Chinnaswamy and Hyderabad earlier, but easy access to water was new to me. There were lot of food stalls. INR 150 for a veg burger/wrap wasn't that bad. Dominos has longest queue during breaks and some of their stalls even sold out quickly.

There was a stall of official ICC world cup merchandise.

What drew my attention was ambulance just outside the stands. I had never seen that before in any stadium. They had ramp built so that vehicles could reach stands directly and some of VIPs were being dropped directly there. Washrooms were much better than what I have seen at any other stadium in India.

Our seats were in the first row of stand right to stairway Indian dressing room. It's easy to notice that stadium is huge and there are no floodlights. Compared to other stadiums, it felt more ventilated and even during hot weather there some relief.

There were many seats blocked by bookmyshow folks and no one was seating there for entire match.

Water bottles wasn't allowed inside the stands. Vendors brought in cold drinks and icecreams which were getting sold quickly.

Toss/Match

Both teams took the field for practice. Have to say that Pakistani team getting booed during toss was new experience for me. Never seen this happening in any match. 

While there was lot of excitement initially, it died down rather quickly during first 25 overs of Pakistani batting. It felt boring and unattractive. Hot weather wasn't helping either. 

ADCreHfULaqRIkVvHPUGcslQ7QTyQCgAK_H80m93

ADCreHdLhVKaLCdo6_T7Qy_gMjmeiK_DEYxGNnX-

Once the collapse started, crowd got excited again. People were getting shocked at the frequency of wickets. Some people went out to get coke, pizza and returned back seeing Pakistan had lost 2 more wickets. 

Not going to write much about the cricketing performances as people know what happened there.

Innings Break

There were more musical performances during the innings break, which we didn't bother paying attention to.

2nd Inning

Lights were lit up in the first inning itself. Those lights are way better than floodlights that we have at other stadiums. 

Rohit Sharma absolutely lit up the stadium with his batting and with cooler evening crowd was fully into it. By the 20th over, everyone in stands was hoping that match finishes before 8 PM. 

Once the match was over, whole stadium cheering for Indian team, fireworks and maa tujhe salam was giving everyone goosebumps.

I left the stadium quickly as soon as match was over. As the spectators were heading back, locals were queuing up on the sideways to click photos and cheer them.

I had planned to travel back from Mumbai, but thanks to Rohit Sharma I managed to board early flight right after the match and returned back home. 

Later I realized that I didn't take photos during the match, but that cover drive from Kohli will remain etched in my memory forever. It was struck straight towards us and everyone was just in awe of the shot. For me, it was the highlight of the match.

On 10/17/2023 at 2:14 AM, First class said:

Nice , thanks for sharing your experience. Feel bad for the people like you and other 100 K plus people in the stadium , Pak team devoid them from  a close thrilling match with their pathetic display. 

Match was dull for most of the part. Babar and Rizwan are good batters, but no offense their batting was quite boring. When Abdullah Shafique hit that straight lofted 4, people actually stood up to see where ball is going. There was hardly any reaction from the crowd when Rizwan Babar were batting. By reaction, I don't mean crowd will clap, but when opposition plays breathtaking strokes, Indian crowd watches in awe and worry. Sleep inducing batting during afternoon isn't exactly good thing to watch.