1. Sachin vs Rohit

2. Sehwag vs Gill

3. Gambhir vs Kohli

4. Kohli vs Iyer 

5. Yuvraj vs Rahul

6. Dhoni vs SKY

7. Raina vs Jaddu

Harbhajan Zaheer Sreensath Munaf Patel vs Bumrah Shami Siraj Kuldeep

2011 batting smashes the 2023 one by 6-1. 2023 bowlig is definitely better although Zaheer and Harbhajan in Indian conditions were not far off anyone in the Indian side in India today. 

Yeah 2011 batting would trump our 2023 batting any day, even though our 2011 bowling isn't as great as our 2023 bowling unit, they made up for it with part timers who could on their day be match winners just with the ball.

Given that I would be tempted to say both teams are on par. But our 2011 team/bowling unit never ran through teams like we are doing now, it all depends on whether we can go to the finish line. On paper, if I could guess the only thing that could prevents the 2023 side from reaching the finish line is our long tail. But if that never happens does it matter? 

One will have to wait till end to pass a judgement.

2011 batting > 2023 bowling

2011 batting <<<<<< 2023 bowling

2011 prolly has 3 batsmen in all time team (Yuvraj, Dhoni, SRT) with 4 very good batsmen (Sehwag, Raina, Kohli, Gambhir). Not including Kohli 2011 in all time team.

2023 has 2 batsmen in all time team (Rohit, Kohli) with 3 very good batsmen (KLR, Gill, Iyer). SKY is prolly in all time India T20 team but hasn't done much in ODIs yet.

2011 had one bowler in all time time (Zaheer) with three decentish bowlers (Bhajji, Nehra, Munaf)

2023 bowling minus Siraj is prolly India's all time bowling. And if Siraj continues with these stats he'll replace Zaheer (Both might miss out ot accomodate Kapil).

Edited by deathmonger

2011 batting unit was special.

2023 batting unit is still IMO vulnerable.

I would have more faith in the 2011 batting to chase or set a target. While SRT was at the end of his career, he still provided the foundation for the team's scores in most games in that WC.

Similarly I would have more faith in the 2023 bowling unit to limit or defend a score.

If I have to make a team from those two editions of the World cup, I will choose.

Rohit  

Sehwag

Kohli

Sachin

Yuvraj 

Dhoni (WK/Captain)

Jadeja

Zaheer

Shami

Kuldeep 

Bumrah

I end up selecting 5 from each edition and Kohli is common to both.

As others have pointed out Batting was more well rounded in 2011 and losing 3 wickets wont give people a heart attack. Specially if Virat and Rohit are gone.. lol. We still would have Yuvraj, Kohli, Dhoni and Raina who could just chase by themselves. Plus I think Harbhajan and Zaheer could bat.Another plus was left hander in top 5 in form or Yuvi.

Bowling department however is so much stronger in 2023 with no gaps.  It does help 2011 that Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj  were capable bowlers and could fill in lot of overs. Yuvraj bowled regularly and picked wickets. Raina could bowl if necessary. I feel the 2011 teams of other countries were better. We had West Indies and SL was a much stronger team. May be 2023 bowling would not blow away those teams as much. 

Overall I will choose 2023 team if I have to pick one. 2023 batting is not bad even if Iyer, KLR, SKY dont provide as much confidence and last 4 wickets may collapse for 10 runs.  Reason is Indian bowling is able to give back better than others when conditions are bowler friendly. 

Bat first - Less pressure and I feel confident that bowlers can win it for us even if batters score below 200 as they are doing now. Even if 2011 team scored 300 plus, I would not be confident that the bowlers can win it for us.

Bat Second - 2023 Bowlers do not allow the team to make 350 or something that is daunting on the pitch and then batters will likely chase it more often than not. More confidence because of current Virat form and experience. 2011 had a better middle order to chase higher totals but I see this scenario playing out less. Hopefully not this SF or Final... lol ..  I know 2023 team is yet to win the cup but that's the team I will chose if lets say we don't know the results and I have to pick one team to play Semi Final.

65% - 35%  Confidence in 2023 vs 2011 team.

If I can borrow just 2 players from 2011 team then I will take Sachin and Yuvraj and put them at no.4 instead of Iyer and No.6 instead of SKY.  That make is awesome and even losing openers cheaply would mean nothing with two players competing for GOAT coming in next. Yuvraj will solve the 6th bowler option with ease.  Next players to switch are Dhoni, Sehwag and Zaheer in that order for the combined team I put together.

Edited by cricspirit
2 minutes ago, cricspirit said:

If I have to make a team from those two editions of the World cup, I will choose.

Rohit  

Sehwag

Kohli

Sachin

Yuvraj 

Dhoni (WK/Captain)

Jadeja

Zaheer

Shami

Kuldeep 

Bumrah

As others have pointed out Batting was more well rounded in 2011 and losing 3 wickets wont give people a heart attack. Specially if Virat and Rohit are gone.. lol. We still would have Yuvraj, Kohli, Dhoni and Raina who could just chase by themselves. Plus I think Harbhajan and Zaheer could bat.Another plus was left hander in top 5 in form or Yuvi.

Bowling department however is so much stronger in 2023 with no gaps.  It does help 2011 that Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj  were capable bowlers and could fill in lot of overs. Yuvraj bowled regularly and picked wickets. Raina could bowl if necessary. I feel the 2011 teams of other countries were better. We had West Indies and SL was a much stronger team. May be 2023 bowling would not blow away those teams as much. 

Overall I will choose 2023 team if I have to pick one. 2023 batting is not bad even if Iyer, KLR, SKY dont provide as much confidence and last 4 wickets may collapse for 10 runs.  Reason is Indian bowling is able to give back better than others when conditions are bowler friendly. 

Bat first - Less pressure and I feel confident that bowlers can win it for us even if batters score below 200 as they are doing now. Even if 2011 team scored 300 plus, I would not be confident that the bowlers can win it for us.

Bat Second - 2023 Bowlers do not allow the team to make 350 or something that is daunting on the pitch and then batters will likely chase it more often than not. More confidence because of current Virat form and experience. 2011 had a better middle order to chase higher totals but I see this scenario playing out less. Hopefully not this SF or Final... lol

If I can borrow just 2 players from 2011 team then I will take Sachin and Yuvraj and put them at no.4 instead of Iyer and No.6 instead of SKY.  That make is awesome and even losing openers cheaply would mean nothing with two players competing for GOAT coming in next. Yuvraj will solve the 6th bowler option with ease.  Next players to switch are Dhoni, Sehwag and Zaheer in that order for the combined team I put together.

even likes of sreesanth, munaf, etc. could bat a bit.

btw, tendu at 4 is a bad idea. put gambhir at 4 instead of iyer, kick out gill and play tendu at opening, and then have Yuvi at 6 in place of SKY.

Edited by Vijy
9 minutes ago, Vijy said:

even likes of sreesanth, munaf, etc. could bat a bit.

btw, tendu at 4 is a bad idea. put gambhir at 4 instead of iyer, kick out gill and play tendu at opening, and then have Yuvi at 6 in place of SKY.

Sachin has batted at 4 before as I remember. I know he likes to open but we have Rohit now as well who has build up this body of work with six hitting capability. I do not want Gambhir in the team when I can have Sehwag. Viru definitely makes the team (or my heart says so :--D). There is a case for Viru to bat no.6 like SKY is doing.  Alternatively Rohit and Sachin can open and then then followed by Virat, Yuvi, KL Rahul, Dhoni (WK), Jadeja, Zaheer, Shami, Kuldeep, Bumrah.  Would hate to leave Viru out. This team gives us a left hander at no.4 but that may be a bit high for Yuvraj. Sachin is perfect at no.4 with additional decade of knowledge that we have.

Not also sure Gambhir is a better bat than Iyer (Except the short ball thing right now). Iyer has the temperament and shots. 

Edited by cricspirit

You guys got it wrong. 

Overall 2011 batting is not > 2023.

The average of top 5 of 2023 team is  50+ - just check the numbers .

That’s a hell lot more than 2011. 

SRT averaged highest in 2011 team which was 45. 

Overall 2011 top 5 average was much much lower than 2023 

Top 5 of 2023 >> top 5 2011. 

The main difference is unreliable 6-7 in 2023 vs. 2011. 

Raina and Yuvi were GUNS. Always scored clutch runs. SKY and Jaddu are not in that league. 

Overall I would say even 2023 batting is slightly better than 2011. This would truly manifest if SKY and Gill played the game we know they can. 

Edited by rangeelaraja
4 hours ago, Dil Dil India said:

Man to man how do they compare? 

1. Sachin vs Rohit

2. Sehwag vs Gill

3. Gambhir vs Kohli

4. Kohli vs Iyer 

5. Yuvraj vs Rahul

6. Dhoni vs SKY

7. Raina vs Jaddu

Harbhajan Zaheer Sreensath Munaf Patel vs Bumrah Shami Siraj Kuldeep

2011 batting smashes the 2023 one by 6-1. 2023 bowlig is definitely better although Zaheer and Harbhajan in Indian conditions were not far off anyone in the Indian side in India today. 

The main difference Sachin,Sehwag,Yuvraj,Raina can bowl atleast 25 overs between them.

Good mix of left handed batsman in top 6. 

How was 2011 batting greater than 2023 batting?

2011 team was 305-3 and got bowled out for 338 v average bowling attack of England.

267-1 and got bowled out for 296 v SA.

Bowled out v WI for 268.

191/5 v Netherlands

167/5 v Ireland, luckily had only 210 to chase.

187/5 v Aus in QF

187/5 v Pak in SF

What was great about those batting performances?

2 hours ago, cricspirit said:

Rohit  

Sehwag

Kohli

Sachin

Yuvraj 

Dhoni (WK/Captain)

Jadeja

Zaheer

Shami

Kuldeep 

Bumrah

Bat Second - 2023 Bowlers do not allow the team to make 350 or something that is daunting on the pitch and then batters will likely chase it more often than not. More confidence because of current Virat form and experience. 2011 had a better middle order to chase higher totals but I see this scenario playing out less. Hopefully not this SF or Final... lol ..  I know 2023 team is yet to win the cup but that's the team I will chose if lets say we don't know the results and I have to pick one team to play Semi Final.

Only change I'd have is Hardik in place of jaddu since we have yuvi