Is Rohit hinting towards retirement ?

According to the news link below, Rohit Sharma has already communicated to the selectors that he is fine if he is not selected for the T20 World Cup. Now considering that he is unlikely to play ODI's anymore, can we take is as a hint that it's end of his white ball career and will only continue to play red ball cricket till WTC 2025.

This also raises a new question on who is our next captain in white ball formats ? Kohli wont do, Hardik is injury prone, KLR is a big NO in T20's, Bumrah can do but given his workload I don't think he will play regularly. Is it the time to do a Greame Smith & appoint someone young ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/rohit-sharma-unlikely-to-play-t20is-again-decision-on-odi-captaincy-soon-reports-article-105404561/amp

We dont need same teams for 3 formats- for god sake they need to pick format teams with players suited for that and the captain should be chosen who has a good track record in that format and can play for a long period of time in the future.

Tests - Im not sure why Rohit need to be playing tests. Have we got a succession plan to replace Rohit, Kohli, Shami and Jadeja? I think Gill should be the Test and ODI captain with Jaiswal as his deputy. As you can see, from the squad below the ones in red should retire in the next 6 months or are undeserving to be in the test squad. What succession plans have we put for them? Bumrah may likely call time on his red ball career and focus on white ball cricket only

India’s Test squad WTC final: Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, K L Rahul, KS Bharat (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Jaydev Unadkat.

T20I As Hardik is a glass cricketer i think Iyer should be T20i captain

2 minutes ago, diga said:

left field choice - Abhishek Sharma from Punjab. Think he was our U-19 captain

He hasn't established himself in international cricket. Jaiswal has. He already has the respect of teammates and appears to have a cool, humble approach to being a teammate. So far, Sharma has been a talented but inconsistent IPL performer who seems to be getting it together recently, and can make the jump into the Indian team.

19 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

According to the news link below, Rohit Sharma has already communicated to the selectors that he is fine if he is not selected for the T20 World Cup.........

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/rohit-sharma-unlikely-to-play-t20is-again-decision-on-odi-captaincy-soon-reports-article-105404561/amp

What kind of a statement is this?

I also want to take the opportunity to tell the selectors that I will be fine if not selected for the T20 WC and while I am at it, want to tell the people of India that I will be mainly fine if not elected the PM. :heartbreak:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who would also have many interrogatives when invited to a party/getogether.

Who else is coming? What is the theme? Is it okay if I come late and leave early? Why have you invited xyz? What the menu? Is there a counter for abc food?

Seedhi tarah bol aanewali hai ya nahi! How difficult is that?

13 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

We dont need same teams for 3 formats- for god sake they need to pick format teams with players suited for that and the captain should be chosen who has a good track record in that format and can play for a long period of time in the future.

Tests - Im not sure why Rohit need to be playing tests. Have we got a succession plan to replace Rohit, Kohli, Shami and Jadeja? I think Gill should be the Test and ODI captain with Jaiswal as his deputy. As you can see, from the squad below the ones in red should retire in the next 6 months or are undeserving to be in the test squad. What succession plans have we put for them? Bumrah may likely call time on his red ball career and focus on white ball cricket only

India’s Test squad WTC final: Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, K L Rahul, KS Bharat (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Jaydev Unadkat.

Aastraya had been doing this since 1997,

Dedicated format experts should always be there with few to half of others

30 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

There is no succession plan...same old cycle of Rahane and co is being repeated.

54 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Only retiring from T20s.

"The BCCI source revealed that Rohit Sharma discussed his future in the shortest format of the game before the start of the 50-over World Cup, and is likely to concentrate on ODI and Test cricket to prolong the last phase of his cricketing career"

:facepalm:

Simply doesn't make sense...whats the point.

This is the right time to actually retire from ODI & Tests, he should vacate the space for the likes of Jaiswal & Gaekwad (ODI is his best format).

Indian players as usual don't know when to exit...

5 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Rather,

usual don't want to exit

I blame MSD for this...still hanging on IPL despite being 42/43 years old. Jab cricket nahi khel rahe ho leave to retire properly and let younger folks handle responsibility.

Now Kedar Jadhav & DK are also following the same.

4 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

I blame MSD for this...still hanging on IPL despite being 42/43 years old. Jab cricket nahi khel rahe ho leave to retire properly and let younger folks handle responsibility.

Now Kedar Jadhav & DK are also following the same.

This crap of superstars hanging on way beyond their play-by date has going on forever. Some exceptions are Gavaskar and ... .... ... I can't think of anyone else.