RANJI TROPHY |2023/24|

Suhaan

11 hours ago, Vijy said:

@Gollum@express bowling@Suhaan@singhvivek141@vvvslaxman@SRT100

Now that more than half of the Ranji trophy is over, here are my prelim thoughts on the top 15 wicket takers so far.

1. Hitesh Walunj: No idea about this SLA, but his age (31) is a detriment. very impressive ranji season though, with 6 hauls of 4 wkts (or more) in an innings out of 12 innings. in other words, he has taken out a big chunk of the opposition in 50% of the innings.

2. Gaurav Yadav: his best days are behind him at 32, but was easily a bowler operating in 140s at his peak. had control, pace, and seam IIRC. not the best use of talent, even though Ind did have a strong group of pacers (Boom, umesh, shami, ishant, even boobi).

3. Sagar Udeshi: This old man (37 yr old) SLA has a great FC record, but mostly vs weak teams in the past. however, such consistent domestic performers are needed to sustain FC cricket, even when they are short of int'l class.

4. Deepak Dhapola: much of what I wrote for Udeshi applies to this 33 yr old trundler.

5. Sai Kishore: should be playing Ind A, and should be close to Ind squad too at age of 27. tall, accurate, intelligent SLA spinner. can field decently and bats solidly too (has FC batting avg of nearly 24 this season). could be a good bowler who bats at no. 8 or no. 9.

6. Jalaj Saxena: perhaps Ind's best domestic bowler of last 10 years, irrespective of bowling type. At 37, he is far too old, and batting has declined hugely compared to the past, yet I am glad that this veteran off spinner is playing domestics. should have played in some home tests at his peak in the past IMO.

7. Rajesh Mohanty: he is young (23), has experience, and a great domestic record. however, I have seen him, and he is a bona fide trundler. not int'l class.

8. Kumar Kartikeya: one more SLA similar to sai kishore in age (kartikeya is 26). has the ability to bowl some wrist spin as well. excellent FC record, but I feel he pads his record a bit too much vs weak teams or helpful pitches. however, his domestic record is very good, and he can bat somewhat. should be in the mix for Ind A.

9. Dharmendrasinh Jadeja: A bit like Sir Jaddu. this 33 yr old SLA is also quite accurate and aggressive, and tends to pick up a lot of wkts on dustbowls. can bat as well, but I feel that sai kishore and kumar kartikeya are younger and more promising.

10. V Vyshak: at 27, he is on the slightly older side, and does not have much pace. however, he does bend his back and tries hard, with some reverse swing ability. can also bat somewhat (batting avg of 20 this season). not Ind A level, but a good domestic pacer.

11. Aditya Thakare: have not seen much of his 25 yr old with great domestic record, but my impression is that he is a trundler and not int'l class.

12. Darshan Misal: I remembered this 31 yr old SLA as a bits-and-pieces player, but for some reason, he has done well with the ball this season.

13. Mohit Avasthi: has had an excellent ranji season this time (13 bowling avg), and can bat (batting avg of 24 in his career). but he is 31 and a complete trundler. clearly not Ind material, and not even Ind A class.

14. himanshu chauhan: has pace (can push into 140s), height, bounce, and accuracy. great record so far (about 3 wkts per innings, i.e., 6 per completed match). should be fast tracked into Ind A asap.

15. Akash Pandey: don't know anything about this 25 yr old SLA, apart from his excellent FC bowling record and the fact that he can bat somewhat (batting avg of 21).

Too many aging player, is the newer lot not good enough or more inclined towards shorter format

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

I don't remember bawne age-fudging. he played his first FC game at 14-15, which may or may not be accurate.

agree with the people who you singled out.

I was expecting him to lead U19 that time and had high hopes..Unmukt Chand got it..

In September 2011, Ankit Bawne was removed from the India Under-19 squad after the date of birth in his passport didn't match the one in his birth certificate and the BCCI's records. Bawne protested that the agent who arranged for his passport had messed up the date. The selectors, not wanting to take a risk, left him out and Unmukt Chand took over the captaincy.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/indian-cricket-s-age-fraud-problem-1191517

10 hours ago, Need4Speed said:

I was expecting him to lead U19 that time and had high hopes..Unmukt Chand got it..

In September 2011, Ankit Bawne was removed from the India Under-19 squad after the date of birth in his passport didn't match the one in his birth certificate and the BCCI's records. Bawne protested that the agent who arranged for his passport had messed up the date. The selectors, not wanting to take a risk, left him out and Unmukt Chand took over the captaincy.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/indian-cricket-s-age-fraud-problem-1191517

I don't know if it is age fudging, or just an "error". either way, looks like his trajectory got changed a lot

On 2/14/2024 at 2:11 PM, Vijy said:

Now that more than half of the Ranji trophy is over, here are my prelim thoughts on the top 15 wicket takers so far.

1. Hitesh Walunj: No idea about this SLA, but his age (31) is a detriment. very impressive ranji season though, with 6 hauls of 4 wkts (or more) in an innings out of 12 innings. in other words, he has taken out a big chunk of the opposition in 50% of the innings.

2. Gaurav Yadav: his best days are behind him at 32, but was easily a bowler operating in 140s at his peak. had control, pace, and seam IIRC. not the best use of talent, even though Ind did have a strong group of pacers (Boom, umesh, shami, ishant, even boobi).

3. Sagar Udeshi: This old man (37 yr old) SLA has a great FC record, but mostly vs weak teams in the past. however, such consistent domestic performers are needed to sustain FC cricket, even when they are short of int'l class.

4. Deepak Dhapola: much of what I wrote for Udeshi applies to this 33 yr old trundler.

5. Sai Kishore: should be playing Ind A, and should be close to Ind squad too at age of 27. tall, accurate, intelligent SLA spinner. can field decently and bats solidly too (has FC batting avg of nearly 24 this season). could be a good bowler who bats at no. 8 or no. 9.

6. Jalaj Saxena: perhaps Ind's best domestic bowler of last 10 years, irrespective of bowling type. At 37, he is far too old, and batting has declined hugely compared to the past, yet I am glad that this veteran off spinner is playing domestics. should have played in some home tests at his peak in the past IMO.

7. Rajesh Mohanty: he is young (23), has experience, and a great domestic record. however, I have seen him, and he is a bona fide trundler. not int'l class.

8. Kumar Kartikeya: one more SLA similar to sai kishore in age (kartikeya is 26). has the ability to bowl some wrist spin as well. excellent FC record, but I feel he pads his record a bit too much vs weak teams or helpful pitches. however, his domestic record is very good, and he can bat somewhat. should be in the mix for Ind A.

9. Dharmendrasinh Jadeja: A bit like Sir Jaddu. this 33 yr old SLA is also quite accurate and aggressive, and tends to pick up a lot of wkts on dustbowls. can bat as well, but I feel that sai kishore and kumar kartikeya are younger and more promising.

10. V Vyshak: at 27, he is on the slightly older side, and does not have much pace. however, he does bend his back and tries hard, with some reverse swing ability. can also bat somewhat (batting avg of 20 this season). not Ind A level, but a good domestic pacer.

11. Aditya Thakare: have not seen much of his 25 yr old with great domestic record, but my impression is that he is a trundler and not int'l class.

12. Darshan Misal: I remembered this 31 yr old SLA as a bits-and-pieces player, but for some reason, he has done well with the ball this season.

13. Mohit Avasthi: has had an excellent ranji season this time (13 bowling avg), and can bat (batting avg of 24 in his career). but he is 31 and a complete trundler. clearly not Ind material, and not even Ind A class.

14. himanshu chauhan: has pace (can push into 140s), height, bounce, and accuracy. great record so far (about 3 wkts per innings, i.e., 6 per completed match). should be fast tracked into Ind A asap.

15. Akash Pandey: don't know anything about this 25 yr old SLA, apart from his excellent FC bowling record and the fact that he can bat somewhat (batting avg of 21).

Great write up. Thanks

38 minutes ago, nsareen said:

From the plate division Mohit Jangra left arm quick all of 24 yes, is doing really well 45 wickets or so & has a 35+ batting average, i feel he is an India A candidate

I don't care much about plate, which is why I didn't bother to write about them. I have seen 1-2 of the plate teams when they made it to the main league, and the gap is vast. basically, one needs to reduce batting avg by 2 times and increase bowling avg by 2 times.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:11 AM, Vijy said:

Thanks for this bro and the one on run scorers !

I was wondering about Vyshak and if he should be in the A team mix

11 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Atit Sheth seems to have added a bit of bulk and looks quicker than the last time I watched him. Speed gun showing him in the 135-138 range so far this spell. The fact that he is a decent bat also bodes well

A rare medium pace all rounder should have been in A team for sure. 

12 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Atit Sheth seems to have added a bit of bulk and looks quicker than the last time I watched him. Speed gun showing him in the 135-138 range so far this spell. The fact that he is a decent bat also bodes well

he is a fine bowler among the trundler bowler. of the trundlers, he is my preference. can also bat well, better than harshit. a proper no. 8 batter, maybe even no. 7 caliber

• The topic was unpinned