Shubman Gill : Just too many weaknesses ?

Number

21 hours ago, Gollum said:

The world has ever seen, not just India.

Alok Kapali, that Bangla guy from 2000s was an upgrade over Gill. #3 and #4 are positions where your best players play, and we have this useless Gill, no wonder our test team is in free fall. 

kapali could bowl well. and his fielding was on par with gill approx

As I said, was just a matter of time. You see the guy - the kind of shots he plays both on backfoot and frontfoot, the amount of time he has to play the ball - you just know, he is a special player and an ATG in the making. If he plays to his potential, could even end up being the GOAT. He is THAT good. 

2 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

This time, the team really needed it, with all the others laying eggs. Come on guys, credit where credit is due. Plus the 4 catches in Eng's first innings were critical. He's a promising youngster.

This was his best inning apart from that 91. Needed some luck to score these runs. Hopefully he does well in other matches.

Gill,does look quite laidback

String of poor innings between few good ones

He is quite late on frontfoot,tries to move sideways to play those cuts and latecuts even if isn't needed against some deliveries tends to miss incoming deliveries also

Being late on frontfoot as you know also results in getting caught behind

I hope he addresses his defence against nipbackers as this is quite glaring

53 minutes ago, Norman said:

Clutch knock this. You remove his knock today and the partneship with Axar and we would have been looking at England going 2-0 with Jaiswal's' double going to waste.

Finally, a great inning by Gill under pressure.    But what makes u think that Eng going 2-0 is not a possibility any more?   (I think Eng hv got this in the bag. Pitch is still good for batting)

Edited by Frustrated
2 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Finally, a great inning by Gill under pressure.    But what makes u think that Eng going 2-0 is not a possibility any more?   (I think Eng hv got this in the bag. Pitch is still good for batting)

I didn't say it wasn't a possibility. They still have an outside chance. Don't think they "have it in the bag". Bazball or not, it's going to take a miracle to chase down 400 even on this wicket. 

11 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Gill,does look quite laidback

String of poor innings between few good ones

He is quite late on frontfoot,tries to move sideways to play those cuts and latecuts even if isn't needed against some deliveries tends to miss incoming deliveries also

Being late on frontfoot as you know also results in getting caught behind

I hope he addresses his defence against nipbackers as this is quite glaring

Aptly mentioned, he is often late on front foot and tries to do short arm jab more often than not.

The yesterday's inns was good, but it wasn't a chanceless one, he should thank heaven that luck favoured him throughout the inns.

Gill at this moment is in territory of KLR & Rahane..good knocks here and there, but lacking consistency. 

He had a tighter defence in Australia, as he modified his game for the T20's, his technique for Tests has suffered, same happened with KL as well in the past.

He is still 24 so lot of time on his end to rectify these gaps, I don't want to go back to the likes of Pujara & Rahane. That will be a regressive step.

6 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Aptly mentioned, he is often late on front foot and tries to do short arm jab more often than not.

The yesterday's inns was good, but it wasn't a chanceless one, he should thank heaven that luck favoured him throughout the inns.

Gill at this moment is in territory of KLR & Rahane..good knocks here and there, but lacking consistency. 

He had a tighter defence in Australia, as he modified his game for the T20's, his technique for Tests has suffered, same happened with KL as well in the past.

He is still 24 so lot of time on his end to rectify these gaps, I don't want to go back to the likes of Pujara & Rahane. That will be a regressive step.

Umpire's call saved him once against Anderson.  It was clipping the bails of the middle stump.  Survived another close LBW call against Hartley (by a faint inside edge).  The inside edge was so faint that he himself was not sure. 

7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Mark my words, Gill will be the Indian non-bowling version of Carl Hooper. 

don't insult carl this way. carl was a much better player in a much more bowling-rich era

36 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

no, he is much worse than both, and that's saying a lot. this is was one of the flukiest 100s ever

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

don't insult carl this way. carl was a much better player in a much more bowling-rich era

Carl had the distinct fluidity and ample time that Gill has, but was always a bit too loose and prone to throwing it away. Just like Gill is. Gill imo will be just like that. He will suck till people wonder why he isnt dropped, then play a class innings with the team's wall against the back that'll make people wonder why doesn't he average 50.