Question for experts. How would you bowl to counter the sweep?

Sweeps can can be countered...  Need to watch the front foot of batter till last second..  For a RHb it will move towards the leg stump to create room.. And hope he misses When you push it full fast & into leg stump. 

Reverse sweep is hard.. Very hard.  Ridiculous skill set. 

Only on rank turners you can constantly negate reverse sweeps. 

A left arm spinner becomes a offie to a batter's batswing. 

Crazy reflexes & premeditation needed. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
1 hour ago, Lord said:

Flight the ball. Sweeps relies on darts and if you get bounce its very tough to time.

while playing darts any tom dick n harry in a blue moon can hit a bullseye blindly once in their life. Lets see if england can keep darting or prove my theory right.

51 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Arnold killed him with his sweep shots, Andy Flower with his reverse sweeps. 

don't remember the arnold knock(s) so well, but the flower ones came on absolute pattas. I don't see many modern batters being able to counter kumble on the 1st test pitch (vs eng).

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

don't remember the arnold knock(s) so well, but the flower ones came on absolute pattas. I don't see many modern batters being able to counter kumble on the 1st test pitch (vs eng).

Arnold in ODIs albeit on turners. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Arnold in ODIs albeit on turners. 

I feel you need a backward short leg (even more than a forward short leg), which is rarely seen in ODIs.

Of course, I am not saying that Kumble was Bill O'Reilly (who was allegedly faster, more accurate, and turned his leg break more) or the more extreme SF Barnes, but I feel that he was not easy to sweep on spinning tracks

If the spinner can get bounce off of the pitch, the sweep can be beaten by the bouncing ball.

However the ball does not bounce much on Indian turners. When the ball is hard - opening 20 overs - the Englishmen prolly don't play so many sweeps.

There are no guarantees, I guess try some variations ,turn the ball both ways but then that's not easy for finger spinners these days. From personal experience , sometimes you just miss the ball in flight, maybe due to lack of ability, breeze also plays a role.Also put fielders on the boundary and make the batsman run hard as much as possible,it tougher to sweep after that.

18 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

You need pace on the ball to play these funky shots square off the wicket.  Slower, tossed up and loopier should have been the way to go.   Jadeja and Axar unfortunately can't bowl any other way than firing it in at 90 +kph

they are 1D darters, that's all

22 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

You need pace on the ball to play these funky shots square off the wicket.  Slower, tossed up and loopier should have been the way to go.   Jadeja and Axar unfortunately can't bowl any other way than firing it in at 90 +kph

Our spinners also need to be more accurate, if they go for a reverse and miss, LBW/bowled need to be the consequence of this attempt to negate our spinners.