Will Kohli's absence from BGT 2020-21 and Anthony de Mello 2024 affect his legacy?

7 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Oh yes...They batted well but it was such a high scoring series.

First test - We almost lost until Kohli batted for time supported by Ashwin and Jaddu who scored 30 each on the final day, final session.

Second test - Comfortable win

Third test - Eng scored 283. We were down at 204-6 with Kohli gone (and supposed to bat last) but lower order resistance pushed the total to 417.

Fourth test - We were again 6 down with 100 run deficit...Kohli and Jayant Yadav took the game away from them.

Fifth test - Comfortable win

It was a crazy and weird series.

Maybe I was harsh with my comment that batting **** the bed.

Lots of runs were scored.

Lots made centuries.

Yet we were in danger in 3 out of 5 tests but Kohli (& lower order) bailed us out.

But other bats scored too.

I shudder to think what would happen if our current batting lineup played that series. lol.

Agree, it was a very high scoring series so much so that Ashwin was the highest wicket taker and still avged over 30.

2016 Eng series I remember most for Parthiv Patel's garbage keeping. Saha dislocated his shoulder in 1st test. After that the number of catches our keeper dropped especially of spin, dimaag kharab kar diya tha Pappu ne. He scored a cute 50 in a small run chase in Mumbai, a few 30s and 40s....but boy did we miss Super Saha. Saha played a big role both in the 3-0 victory over NZ before that series, and also 2017 BGT. 

Ashwin and Jadeja would have registered themselves in an asylum if they had Pappu as keeper instead of Saha in their peak years. 

His legacy is set, he is the  greatest captain in test cricket from Asia. he would have been greatest captain of India in all formats if not for for useless Ganguly butting in.

He is the best player of this generation too that is also set.Other than some people who have nothing better to do other than hating this guy he is  just fine.

He cannot stop haters from hating but like Cook said captains and players of other teams know Kohli is the one who instilled  toughness in Indian team.

Whingers can whinge all they want, he is still walking into hall of fame and will be among the greatest players who have played this game.

Edited by putrevus
On 2/27/2024 at 12:49 AM, putrevus said:

His legacy is set, he is the  greatest captain in test cricket from Asia. he would have been greatest captain of India in all formats if not for for useless Ganguly butting in.

He is the best player of this generation too that is also set.Other than some people who have nothing better to do other than hating this guy he is  just fine.

He cannot stop haters from hating but like Cook said captains and players of other teams know Kohli is the one who instilled  toughness in Indian team.

Whingers can whinge all they want, he is still walking into hall of fame and will be among the greatest players who have played this game.

Agree he is the best asian captain and like top 3 4 in the atg list but he isnt the best player od this generation. In tests i would say he is 2 based on peak form. 

In odi as well number 2 for me. Abd was better. 

T20 he was king. 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:19 PM, putrevus said:

He is an ATG test captian for India and modern day goat all format, but in tests he will just be considered well below the other fab 3 and an average Indian test batsman if he retires below 50 average. That's below Dravid, sehwag and on par with laxman and gambhir. 

Edited by New guy
On 2/26/2024 at 6:01 PM, New guy said:

Just a reminder, with the last test in this series, Kohli would have now missed 40% of india's home tests since last 4 years (Post Covid).

So basically this series plus one match against newzealand?

3 hours ago, New guy said:

He is an ATG test captian for India and modern day goat all format, but in tests he will just be considered well below the other fab 3 and an average Indian test batsman if he retires below 50 average. That's below Dravid, sehwag and on par with laxman and gambhir. 

Gambhir?

Good Lord:hysterical::hysterical:

Stop watching cricket please, humble request.

The difference between his average and 50+ is 0.85 , I am quite sure he will get there and end up as an atg in test cricket but yes he will always be behind Tendulkar and Gavaskar in this format.

As for Dravid, only time will tell, if Kohli has two stellar years then he can close the gap on Dravid especially considering Dravid failed a lot against the best teams and against great bowling attacks.

Sehwag is behind Kohli and that is by some margin, he was an Asian track Bully who averages in 30 s away from home and his best series against Australia came when Mcgrath and Warne were rested. 

Laxman is a rescue act not a great batsman so no point of comparison.

49 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Gambhir?

Good Lord:hysterical::hysterical:

Stop watching cricket please, humble request.

The difference between his average and 50+ is 0.85 , I am quite sure he will get there and end up as an atg in test cricket but yes he will always be behind Tendulkar and Gavaskar in this format.

As for Dravid, only time will tell, if Kohli has two stellar years then he can close the gap on Dravid especially considering Dravid failed a lot against the best teams and against great bowling attacks.

Sehwag is behind Kohli and that is by some margin, he was an Asian track Bully who averages in 30 s away from home and his best series against Australia came when Mcgrath and Warne were rested. 

Laxman is a rescue act not a great batsman so no point of comparison.

I am not talking about Kohli's current average, I am talking about what he will retire with. 

Sehwag was an opener, an opener averaging in the 50s is itself GOAT level. He averaged 45 away including 47 in Australia against better bowlers than Kohli faced.

Laxman averaged 46 despite being a rescue act

Most batsmen come down from average at this age, dont go up. Happened with sachin, dravid, etc who averages 3-4 more at same age as Kohli than what they retired on, its unlikely Kohli is going to go up from here.

Edited by New guy
5 minutes ago, New guy said:

I am not talking about Kohli's current average, I am talking about what he will retire with. 

Sehwag was an opener, an opener averaging in the 50s is itself GOAT level. He averaged 45 away including 47 in Australia against better bowlers than Kohli faced.

Most batsmen come down from average at this age, dont go up. Happened with sachin, dravid, etc who averages 3-4 more at same age as Kohli than what they retired on, its unlikely Kohli is going to go up from here.

What was Kohlis average last year?

That might give you a clue

6 minutes ago, New guy said:

Stop lying pls, you are not gonna fool me with this.

Sehwag doesn’t average 45+ away also No he didn’t face better bowlers, go fool low iq posters with this.

The first time he faced an attavk without Mcgrath and Warne coz they were rested, even Gillespie didn’t play half the matches.

Brett lee ( a32 averaging test bowler was their spearhead) and that too on the flattest pitches possible.

On second tour he faced Stuar Clark, Johnson (young and wayward, his bowling was shite), Tait and Lee how is this anywhere comparable to Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood?

You must be kidding.

Also one more thing, next time pls reply only if you have a valid response with actual logic. You are lying through your teeth here.

6 hours ago, New guy said:

No he is not below Root or Williamson. Every player go thru lean times, Kohli as he has shown in odis, he can rise from lean trot to winning player of tournament in odis.

Williamson has scored all soft runs like his recent 100s against 3rd grade SA team.How he finishes will place him among fab four of this era.

He is far better batsman than Dravid ever was, he is behind Sachin and Sunny.

His avg of 60 in India with 14 100s is higher than any Indian batsman .That too in era when Ashwin and Jadeja have avgs of 20 and 21 at home even with all his struggles.

Edited by putrevus
24 minutes ago, New guy said:

Bro why are you lying Sehwag average outside Asia is mere 35  he was poor batsman outside Asia apart some goodinnings actually Virat has highest overseas average among current players and he is only behind Gavaskar,Sachin and Dravid . If you compare hundreds he has 12 In SENA , Dravid 12 Sachin 18 and Gavaskar 15 if includes Wi

1 hour ago, VT87 said:

Bro why are you lying Sehwag average outside Asia is mere 35  he was poor batsman outside Asia apart some goodinnings actually Virat has highest overseas average among current players and he is only behind Gavaskar,Sachin and Dravid . If you compare hundreds he has 12 In SENA , Dravid 12 Sachin 18 and Gavaskar 15 if includes Wi

I said away not asia. And again sehwag is an opener. 

14 hours ago, Adamant said:

Stop lying pls, you are not gonna fool me with this.

Sehwag doesn’t average 45+ away also No he didn’t face better bowlers, go fool low iq posters with this.

The first time he faced an attavk without Mcgrath and Warne coz they were rested, even Gillespie didn’t play half the matches.

Brett lee ( a32 averaging test bowler was their spearhead) and that too on the flattest pitches possible.

On second tour he faced Stuar Clark, Johnson (young and wayward, his bowling was shite), Tait and Lee how is this anywhere comparable to Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood?

You must be kidding.

Also one more thing, next time pls reply only if you have a valid response with actual logic. You are lying through your teeth here.

Also cummins starc hazlewood lyon and green attack is better than any attack dravid and laxman and Sehwag faced barring the one with mcg

Mcgrath gillespie warne and the fourth bowler was lee. 

Gilesspie is around hazlewood level

Its mcg and warne that made the difference. 

Cummins also in australia is as good as mcgrath. So attacks are just as good tbh. 

Virat faced the best attacks

13 hours ago, putrevus said:

No he is not below Root or Williamson. Every player go thru lean times, Kohli as he has shown in odis, he can rise from lean trot to winning player of tournament in odis.

Williamson has scored all soft runs like his recent 100s against 3rd grade SA team.How he finishes will place him among fab four of this era.

He is far better batsman than Dravid ever was, he is behind Sachin and Sunny.

His avg of 60 in India with 14 100s is higher than any Indian batsman .That too in era when Ashwin and Jadeja have avgs of 20 and 21 at home even with all his struggles.

He is far ahead of kane. I dont care if kane averages 60. He is rubbish vs top teans away from home. Virat is also better than root in peak form. 

Smith yes is the best. Then virat

Kohli's legacy will be one who was removed from captaincy for under-performance by Ganguly in all formats.

His other legacy will be not winning a single world cup or major ICC tournament as captain.

But without a doubt under Dhoni for a 3 year period he was ATG batsman in his prime. Absolute beast when chasing no question about it.

Same can be said of Steve Smith before he got banned, was a beast in tests for a period of time, easily ATG and even better than Kohli in his prime.

But 40 years from now when the game moves into T20 format where 400 runs in a 50 over game becomes the norm, there will be at least 5 other players who will beat all his records. Considering the cricket craziness of India and stardom it will be some opener like Jaiswal, Gill etc. assuming they play as many games as Kohli or Sachin and 50 over cricket is intact.

I don't even know what will happen to tests 40 years from now, once Aussies decline as a team similar to NZ or England, who will even have interest in tests? Maybe this is where all the records made will stay intact.

This is why it's so important to understand winning world cups is critical to cement a legacy. People forgot about Lara already because of this. When he was playing people rated him above Sachin.