Will Kohli's absence from BGT 2020-21 and Anthony de Mello 2024 affect his legacy?

Disclaimer first, no dig at Anushka or the reported pregnancy. We wish the couple well, let us not speculate about their personal lives or bring Kohli's family members into this. 

However no denying that both BGT 2020-21 and the current series are the fiercest challenges thrown at Team India in recent times. Kohli left for home post Adelaide surrender and it took skipper Rahane, coaches, seniors, rookies to come together and do something unprecedented, historic that time. Again right now, this is a series where our opponents look formidable and dare I say favorites, a rarity for our home fixtures. More so now that many of our erstwhile greats are either retired, injured or old/jaded. I have no doubt that this assignment wouldn't have been so problematic 5 years ago when we had prime Ash-Jaddu, Umesh-Shami, Pujara (we won BGT 2017 without Kohli's contribution)...but here we are, real possibility of losing the series.

Kohli was fit both times, and also in good form. Will his absence both in Aus and here harm his overall legacy? Because he isn't someone who generally takes time off, and these are big assignments for Indian cricket, in the ultimate format, also part of WTC now. I don't remember past greats like Sachin, Lara, Sanga, Ponting, Kallis dropping off like that....even his contemporaries like Kane, Root, Smith always make themselves available for national duty when they are fit. 

Edited by Gollum

Kohli also missed the Dharamsala test against Aus in 2017....we were precariously placed then. Granted he had some shoulder issue. but would he have made himself unavailable if not for his horrid run in 1st 3 tests, he had scored some 30 runs in those 3 tests, single digit average. Or maybe some friction with coach Kumble, which peaked in CT 2017, a few months after the BGT. 

Thing is he has missed too many big test assignments in the last few years. 

Edited by Gollum

From what I saw of him in RSA, I feel he would have plundered 500+ runs had he played this series, 2-3 100s maybe even big 100s. Flattest home pitches since 2019 RSA and Kohli had registered his highest test score in that series, foolishly didn't look for a 300 there. 

Rabada, Nortje, Philander, Maharaj>>>>>>>>this teletubbies Pom attack. 

BGT 2020-21 - yes.

Anthony de Mello 2024 - no

Problem is Kohli has gone missing in many high profile home series.

2012 Eng series (he was a newbie but he actually looked very good in the middle but kept getting out) - won't hold this against him

2015 SA series

2017 Aus series

2021 Eng series

2024 Eng series

The series where he did well and plundered runs

2016 NZ series (Kolkata knock on that up and down pitch was amazingggg - followed by a double ton)

2016 Eng series (man of the series)

2023 Aus series (played a crucial role in one of the 2 tests we won and scored big in the last test)

The series he slapped around some damn minnows

SL series 2017 and one more I forgot

SA series 2019

Double centuries galore where he boosted his numbers massively.

Kohli the test batsman has a huge legacy overseas.

At home, he was ok (massively underperformed with respect to his talent and ability - his game against spin deteriorated a lot).

Edited by sensible-indian
2 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

BGT 2020-21 - yes.

Anthony de Mello 2024 - no

Problem is Kohli has gone missing in many high profile home series.

2012 Eng series (he was a newbie but he actually looked very good in the middle but kept getting out) - won't hold this against him

2015 SA series

2017 Aus series

2021 Eng series

2024 Eng series

The series where he did well and plundered runs

2016 NZ series (Kolkata knock on that up and down pitch was amazingggg - followed by a double ton)

2016 Eng series (man of the series)

2023 Aus series (played a crucial role in one of the 2 tests we won and scored big in the last test)

The series we slapped around some damn minnows

SL series 2017 and one more I forgot

SA series 2019

Double centuries galore where he boosted his numbers massively.

Kohli the test batsman has a huge legacy overseas.

At home, he was ok (massively underperformed with respect to his talent and ability - his game against spin deteriorated a lot).

With all being said, no one will pay attention to all this.

They will take a quick look at averages and call Kohli equally good home and away when that is soooo not the case.

Will it?  Maybe in the eyes of highly demanding fans and keyboard cricketers. Should it? Absolutely not.

Kohli's on-field dedication while batting and fielding are exemplary. When he is playing, he is always supremely fit. He is out at slip, mid-on, long-on, deep cover - whatever the team wants.  it is obvious that he is giving it everything he has and most of all, he seems emotionally invested in the success of everyone on the team. He may have technical issues, brashness issues and, at times, form issues, but I don't think he has ever had fitness issues or dedication issues.

Given this, he deserves a huge benefit of the doubt and empathy. Do we know what is really going on? Some families have high-risk pregnancies. There could be a multitude of complications - reasons why he has to be with his family during late pregnancy and childbirth. And it is really none of our business to know the details so we can judge him and his wife. I trust that he is doing his best for his family because they need him and if there is an employer who doesn't quite get that, well, that is toxic.

This is all speculation and I sincerely hope there is nothing complicated with Anushka and the baby. But everything that everyone is saying negatively is also speculation. If we don't know enough, we should assume the best of people and give them the benefit of the doubt. Just my humble opinion.

I won't blame him for taking paternal leaves. But what's up with the planning though? Like its not hard to estimate when baby will be born, its just a simple math, give or take a couple of weeks on either side. And don't tell me this man who gets his beard trimmed to millimetre perfection every day, had two unplanned pregnancies. There's no way he didn't know what he was doing in 2020 or this time. He could have easily timed the delivery to april-may but chose not to.

People will remember that this is a deliberate choice he made, not some sudden emergency thrust upon him 

Edited by Serpico

How is Kohli not top tier test batsmen. He is better test batsman than everyone except Sachin and Sunil in India.

Only Smith is better test batsman than him among fab 4.Overall there is no contest, he is best batsman of this era.

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

I won't blame him for taking paternal leaves. But what's up with the planning though? Like its not hard to estimate when baby will be born, its just a simple math, give or take a couple of weeks on either side. And don't tell me this man who gets his beard trimmed to millimetre perfection every day, had two unplanned pregnancies. There's no way he didn't know what he was doing in 2020 or this time. He could have easily timed the delivery to april-may but chose not to.

People will remember that this is a deliberate choice he made, not some sudden emergency thrust upon him 

Hard to plan these things tho.

Fertility is at an low time low everywhere.

Kohli fans on X are being very toxic, cheering Eng, mocking Indian players, wishing for us to lose. I think in their minds, if India wins this series in the absence (or non-contribution) of Kohli, his legacy will diminish. Already done twice, BGT 2017 and 20-21. 

Understandable because that will mean that Kohli isn't some special matchwinner and India does just fine in his absence. 

Edited by Gollum

So, out of the series and some reports indicating he will be out of action till September. Prayers and strength for his family. 

If he misses T20 WC and IPL as well, will be huge. However if he turns up for IPL.......

18 hours ago, putrevus said:

How is Kohli not top tier test batsmen. He is better test batsman than everyone except Sachin and Sunil in India.

Only Smith is better test batsman than him among fab 4.Overall there is no contest, he is best batsman of this era.

There are so many better Indian test batsmen like Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman especially in term of impact.

He is an ATG batsman in LOIs but a level below in Tests especially when it comes to our biggest series wins...